Heavy/Scratch: Rotf Devastator from bottom up ( 1 /20 )

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Vincymon, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Everything is in check personally. Now i can get back to my radicons ..

Starting from the beginning with scrapper ( the right hand ) ...

YouTube - Scratch built Rotf Devastator take 1 / 20

YouTube - Scratch built Rotf Devastator take 1 / 20

P.S. would someone please instruct me how to get a youtube video embedded into a thread ???

Anyways yea my plans are:
    9-11 constructicons,
    a small fan (or 2 ) included,
    large enough scale to see what i am doing
    i.e. when complete, this may be 3 ft (or more) tall ( heck the peice of scrapper I made there is almost the size of my hand ).

Attached Files:

2. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    papper? looks good man how long did it take you?

3. Vincymon

That's just what i was able to build this week.
    Actually, its not paper, its cardboard.

The real challenge is how am I gonna make the front of mixmaster 'magically' turn into devastor's face.

One of the benefits of animation over physical props has always been that you can make things change anyway you want, and make it look authentic.
    There's an ecrement load of 'cheating' in mixmaster's transformation.

4. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

good luck. it'll look awesome when finished

5. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    then use your magic flying powers if you could post a how to that would be nice

6. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm amazed at what you've got already, but MM's transformation may not be as hard as you think...

The face of Devastator could simply be the underside of MM's cab, with the wheels folding down into the body, (the reverse of cannon BB - into the engine bay) while the top of the cab covers what would be the back of the head, but the top itself rotates backwards on a hinged arm, turning into either the back of Devs head or his palate...

The bottom jaw would be easiest to make using MM's back wheels, just have them separate from the drum (like Legend's MM) & fold down on a hinge to come underneath Dev's upper jaw...

Don't forget that a good portion of the turbine assembly is actually coming from between Demolisher's treads, so that should save you some work...

Keep us posted!!

7. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    WHAT!!!! Man....This is crazy.... I am actually starting a very similar project. I am however doing a NON-Transforming version. The plans are about 3-4 feet tall and 5 feetwide/long with rotating neck intake and working hydraulics in the legs, arms, and jaws. It will be about a 6 month project.

I say all that so you know I will be watching this and looking forward to it getting completed!!!!! And that facat that it will transform AMAZES ME!!!!

8. Vincymon

Wow thanks a lot man. I really appreciate that you're thinking about this in as much detail as I am !

Oh and just so you know, I am NOT gonna make scrapper transform just like the $100 version. Its gonna be more elaborate than that ! I might be able to finish scrapper this week. Feels great to be radicon-ing again !

9. closetrat

News Credits:
    Hope so, you gonna try to go movie accurate & have his grill flip up to the top of the arm - plus the right rear tire rotate up to the top of the forearm & the left tire to slide into the body of the arm?

Thanks for replying & keeping this going!

10. Vincymon

Actually I am gonna make the back grill flip up to the top of the hand. Then the back grill will separate slightly, to give that 'layered' look.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/277406-rotf-devastator-built-bottom-up-2-20-a.html

I don't know what you meant about the tires though. I am working from this reference photo.

[​IMG]

In this photo all i can see is that the tires appear bunched up, in the right hand.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm actually holding to the theory that Dev's face came from the articulated dump truck that just went up through him like tooth paste from a tube.

12. closetrat

News Credits:
    That's not a bad idea either - it certainly would explain all that bloody red all over his face...