ROTF Deluxe Sideways

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Optimus Prime, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ROTF Audi R8 Sideways

Here’s my review of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Deluxe Sideways.

EDIT: I've posted corrected pictures of his transformation and properly transformed robot mode. Thanks to Peaugh for helping me figure out exactly how to transform this guy!

EDIT 2: It's official, this guy's name is "Sideways," so I've changed that where necessary!

Vehicle Mode (Audi R8):

[​IMG]

When I saw the Audi R8 in Iron Man, I thought it was an extremely cool car. If I had a Tony Stark minifigure, I’d be obligated to do some pictures with that and this TF, but since I don’t, plain old vehicle mode pics will have to do.

Sideways isn’t an exact replica of the Audi R8, probably due to licensing issues. Regardless, he looks enough like an R8 to be recognizable as one.

[​IMG]

The paintjob is primarily a dark metallic silver, similar to Premium Jazz’s only darker. The only other paint is black strips painted on each side, and a black Decepticon insignia on the back instead of a license plate. His windows are red-tinted and all are translucent. The back window has engine detailing molded onto the inside. Headlights are clear plastic, and taillights are translucent red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He’s pretty much the same size as other Movie Deluxe cars, so he fits in pretty well.

[​IMG]

His vehicle mode is comparable to Alternators toys; it’s like a scaled-down version of something from that line. That’s one of the great things about Movie toys; they have excellent, realistic alt. modes.

[​IMG]

Transformation:

Press the grille, and the “Mech Alive” gimmick activates, flipping the red torso piece forward and the front wheels into place behind it.

[​IMG]

Lift the back top part of the car upwards.

[​IMG]

Extend the legs, fold down the shin pieces, rotate the feet up, and rotate the wheels/car side pieces to the inside of the legs. There's a post on the red part of the inside of the legs that the car pieces can peg into to hold them in place.

[​IMG]

Rotate the arms outwards, then fold the front half of the car down so the torso connects with the waist. There’s a tab that will hold the two parts in place. Rotate his head up and onto the hood of the car, and pull the headlights out to the sides a little. Rotate the car pieces on the shoulders upwards. Also, there are two small tabs on either side of the back of the hood (near the head assembly) that need to be flipped upwards.

[​IMG]

Rotate the side windows upwards, and fold the entire roof/windows piece up, tabbing it into place on the two red pegs on his back. Fold the rear of the car under the back window and fold this up behind the windshield.

[​IMG]

There you have it!

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

Very, very cool robot mode here. Primary colors are black, silver, and red. He’s taller than Barricade, and about the same height as Universe Cyclonus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a lot of detailing on his robot mode; lots of mechanical parts sculpted on, but there isn’t too much painted detail.

His head is reminiscent of Barricade, but different enough that he is convincingly new. He has clear plastic light-piped eyes with a thin coat of red paint over them.

[​IMG]

His arms are well-detailed, and asymmetrical in sculpt; the left arm has a “fake” wheel molded on, while the right arm has a spinning sawblade in place of the wheel. The wheel has silver paint on the hubcap and on his fingers, but there is no paint on the right arm…silver paint on the blades would have been cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both arms have a gear above the elbow that spins when the lower arms are moved up and down. This is part of another Mech Alive feature.

[​IMG]

Also (as my brother pointed out to me), when you move the lower arms, there is a small "window" on each upper arm that you can look into and see a grey gear piece rotating; another Mech Alive feature.

[​IMG]

Articulation: Head rotates 360˚, shoulders are ball-jointed, elbows are hinge-jointed, waist can rotate, hips are ball-jointed, knees are hinge-jointed, and feet have very limited ball-joint movement.

Overall, Sideways is a cool toy and looks great. The detailing is good, but would be better with some more paint apps (which I’m sure many people will do themselves). Now that a proper transformation has been determined for his legs/feet, posing is not an issue. His multiple Mech Alive gimmicks are pretty cool and don't get in the way of anything. Personally, I’d recommend this toy for the great vehicle mode and the cool-looking robot mode.

4.5/5

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :useless 

3. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    All pics are up, enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool

5. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't you move those door chunks on his arms to be more like the shoulder pylons of the original Barricade?

6. Darth Rodimus

Darth Rodimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanx for sweet review!

7. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    Yes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Bleh, those feet are tiny, but the rest seems alright.

9. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I thought he Audi R8 Transformer was a girl, and was Barricade's sister.

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Wow, that's pretty slick looking. Definitely gonna be a grabber.

11. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Figure out how to stand him up, and you’re done!

[ shockwave will get the ''shock'' of his life when he finds out the truth about sallycade

12. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    cool ill have to use your reviewing methods in future first look picture galleries

13. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    legs are too slim in my opinion and the whole one hand painted and one not bugs me.

14. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    reasonably interesting looking toy and TF but im still finding the aesthetic fiddly and unattractive.

15. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    lol, "secrets are the foundation of power."

Thanks!

The legs are actually okay, it's the feet that are the problem.
    Also, the painted/unpainted hand thing does look strange, maybe they'll decide to add a little paint to the right hand for the actual release. I'm sure that it could be easily touched up DIY if Hasbro doesn't do it (the blades especially need paint).

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice review. I like the color of this one, but not sure about those legs.

17. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Vehicle mode is too sexy.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Very not bad, thanks for the review and pics!

My only beef other than what you mentioned is the bright red. It's a bit distracting from the rest of the dark/neutral colors on the toy. It makes him look like he has bright red boxers on.

Nonetheless, he looks to be a fun toy! :3

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I don't really like this design at all.

The legs look horrid, the break apart chest looks awkward, the arms are sort of stringy, the proportions are weird. I like the alt mode a lot but that's about it for Barricade, uh I mean, this unknown character.

20. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Good vehicle mode, but the robot has a lot of flaws.

Don't know if I'll get it yet, but thanks for the review!