ROTF Deluxe Sideways... Audi R8???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by imranbecks, May 30, 2009.

1. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, so we all know by now that Sideways is an Audi R8 in the new movie.. But have you guys noticed that the Audi brand is nowhere shown on the packaging and on the toy of deluxe Sideways?

The car is missing the Audi logo. And I keep getting the impression that deluxe Sideways car mode is just a car that resembles the Audi R8 with some subtle differences on the car.. On the packaging, it states the alt car mode as Sport Car mode... No mention of Audi anywhere as compared to Sideswipe that have them mention it as a Corvette Stingray..... I just find it really odd.. Hasbro/Takara doesn't have the licensing rights for Audi or something?

[​IMG]

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    it is the audi R8, but nobody knows the reason why has/tak don't put the logo onto the figure....probably has to do with the fact that maybe they couldn't get the liscense to it? or it was the only way to get past GM to add that type of vehicle in the movie?

3. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

It is in fact because they don't have the license. I think the car in the film is also a mock up Audi as well, and not the actual car.
    I believe the same went for the Ford Mustange that Barricade was in the first film.

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since Barricade was a Shelby Mustang, I'm pretty sure that there was a Shelby trademark on the packaging.

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Barricade was a Saleen modded Mustang, and was advertised as such on most of his toys (things like Robot Heroes did not need the license).

Yes, Sideways is an Audi R8. But, Audi is owned by Volkswagon, and if anybody remembers Alternators, they should know V-Dub's position on "war toys". Hence, the toys are not marked as such, and have subtle enough differences to prevent infringement.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

He's a Notaudi, manufactured in the country of Notspain. You'll remember that country as the setting of Resident Evil 4.

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    right Saleen...not Shelby...my mistake...but I know it mentions Saleen on the packaging

8. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

nice pic, but you can clip his windshield lower on his back so you don't see it from the front. Ignore the instructions, the clips are there.

10. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks malikon, i did not know of that, and didnt pay enough attention to the little triangle shaped peices that fold up near his head...looks much better now.....muchas gracias. :) 

ill re-photoshoot him tomorrow..

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    they couldnt legally make the transformer into an Audi R8 so they made him a generic car with Audi R8 similarities

12. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Yes Audi-similar. I remember reading about the VW "war toy" thing as well. When I got mine, I just assumed it was either that, or that the main liscensing for vehicles was going to be for GM.

13. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Funny it has 8 squares on the toy's front grill, instead of the Audi 8 circles logo, kind of a 'tongue in cheek' response from Hasbro/Takara's end. So does Sideways appear as a 'generic' car in the movie as well? Not too sure how they can get away with it when its so obvious that its trying to be a Audi, even if its a custom car like the Saleen Mustang.

14. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    you npainted him! and you have not finished the transformation.

there are 2 little riangles on the hub, you can clip it upwards, then you can push down the windshild on the back :) 

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dude read the thread. somebody told him that already and he already responded hours before you posted

16. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    here is my updated pic of him, i really like him better with the added silver, breaks up the red torso and blackright arm..:sly: 
    so heres the rephoto of him :)  since i did the othe shot wrong...but still very glad i painted him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry i suck

17. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Be happy... at least his structural shapes are pretty much Audi R8.

Autobot Breakaway is supposed to be a F35 jet, but the structural shape
    of his wings are totally off.

18. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

What I don't get is why Audi/VW allowed them to use an R8 as a transformer in the movie, but didn't allow licensing for the toy. Seems pretty hypocritical. If I ever get Sideways, I may have to do some modding to make it look more like an R8