ROTF Deluxe Rampage

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deceptigtar, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

A completely freakish monsterbot. Wasn't even going to pick him up, but I'm glad I did. I love the quadriped look, and overall I appreciate the strange design aesthetic. I know not alot of people would agree, but I'm glad the Bayformer designs haven't been all standard humanoid, the variety is great.

2. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Yikes. I would say that in several cases, I take a chance on a figure that I think looks kinda bad and I find out that it's really quite cool. Rampage, though, is the opposite. From the first images I saw of the toy I thought it looked pimp as hell. Now that he's in hand, though, there is really a LOT I don't like about him.

1) I can understand the lack of elbows, but the shoulders are also really bad. They "revolve" around where the shoulder joint should be, so if you try to put his arms forward the shoulders appear sunken.
    2) Some of the steps in the instructions are really vague and don't seem to work. Obviously the two slots on the shovel are supposed to fit the two pegs on the back of the cab, but there doesn't seem to be any way to fit the two pieces together at the angle the instructions have them. Consequently his back legs go REALLY far back, and it just looks ridiculous.
    3) The shovel and the robot head were popping off all over the place. The back of the cab piece won't go down as far as it's supposed to; it pops back up a little. The pistons are extremely loose and slide down even in vehicle mode. All these could be QC problems so I might just return him and roll the dice on another one, but I'm not too optimistic.
    4) This is I think the stupidest thing about him: the treads! How in the hell do they go to the effort to give this guy rubber treads and then design them NOT to move? It absolutely floors me how lame that is. Was there seriously some reason they couldn't have made the treads into detachable pieces like any other accessory, instead of bolting them down?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the springiness of his legs pisses me off. his legs refuse to stay in any position that's not sticking straight up. so no matter what, he's staring at the ceiling.

4. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    Ugh this was a big waste of $13. This figure is just poop and is poorly conceived.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I see a leg for Devs and thats it :lol 

Took me forever to get him back to alt mode(A kid is supposed to figure this out)

6. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Indeed :D 

Attached Files:

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    a leg with a face. charming.

8. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Totally Agree!

My nephew got this for his Birthday and not only did it have the problems listed here but this as well;no rear leg articulation-all they do is prop up the figure.We took it back and exchanged it for another one and it had all the same problems as the first.Hasbro really needs to tighten up the Q.C.!!!

9. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I really enjoy this figure, even if I can't get that front end piece to clip down in alt. mode or robot mode.

10. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't believe in this age of video reviews and detailed photo shoots that people still buy things and go "OMG IT CRAP".

11. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Rampage is such a strange robot, I can't help but love him. He, like his brother-in-monsterness Bonecrusher have this strange, hulking, RAR look to him. He benefits greatly from not fully transforming his back end and angling his back legs outward to give him more of a splayed leg transformation; this not only makes his back legs more useful and makes him more dynamic, but they also bring them closer into his body and make him look less stiff.

I like that his front feet have rubber tips. It makes it very easy to give him agressive, spread leg poses.

[​IMG]

12. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:

Just remember that everyones view is different. Just cause the reviews say this is freaking awesome doesnt mean it is, just personnal preference. He did look cool in reviews and pics and even in the back of his package. Once you open him and tinker it was a whole differnent story.

13. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee loses!

[​IMG]

sorry for crappy cam

14. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    absolutely love him.

[​IMG]

15. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    I find that most video reviewers are overly kind.

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Exactly,

Most of them don't want to say a toy they just paid 80+ for is a piece of crap(i've done it too):p 

17. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Personally, he was the one I was looking forward to the most. And for me, he was exactly what I was expecting. Cool character with a neat transformation.

Rampage is not a bad figure. But, if articulation is your thing, then he is probably the weakest of the first wave.
    He probably could have benefited greatly if they had left out the lame "Jack hammer" mode. Something tells me this gimmick may have been what ate up his production cost. Without it, maybe they could have worked in some elbows of somekind.

This guys strong points come from his unique transformaion and character design.
    His transformation is actually really easy once you learn how it all works. The toughest part of it is probably getting the treads back on when transforming him back to alt mode. But it's not impossibly difficult.

If you like interesting character designs and engaging transformations, then get this guy. But know, that's all you're getting. Cause that's all he has to offer.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a trick to them not mentioned in the instructions. Following the same motion of the springs (if looking at him from the left side, counterclockwise), rotate his hips around 360 degrees. This disengages the spring mechanism, allowing you to pose the hips without them bouncing around on you. Rotate them back around to reconnect the mechanism.

I really don't think the lack of arm articulation has anything to do with his other gimmicks. It's just that the extra jointing would make his tread assemblies more unstable, and it could also cause the rubbery treads to stretch and tear depending on how the jointing worked.

I like the fact that his shoulder pistons are still capable of swinging down in robot mode, as they wind up looking like dual oscillating cannons. The "cannon tips" even recoil inwards as you pull them back in a recoiling motion. Doesn't work so well if you pull them back at the same time, though, as that motion will disconnect the chestplate. Alternate, though, and it holds together just fine.

19. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Sometimes you get figures you think will be great but then suck and other times you get figures that you didn't think were so great and then glad you bought it.

How many times have you gone to the movies and then go "OMG IT CRAP"? There are lots of reviews for those.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Fun guy. Posable, despite his lack of elbows and odd design. Very fun to actually play with, engaging transformation and looks great in both modes. I highly recommend him.