ROTF Deluxe Jolt pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Jul 11, 2009.

1. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was not sure about Jolt, but I am glad I gave him a chance. Easily one of my favorite deluxe's in a long while. His transformation is simple, but yet still manages to satisfy. Just like HA Bumblebee, I hated the initial pics and reviews but can't imagine not getting them now.

2. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Peaugh, thanks for another great review and an amazing wallpaper for my desktop!

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Mary Katherine Gallagher Bot (#16) [Pic #2974]
    [​IMG]

Grabbed Jolt yesterday, only my 2nd RoTF figure, and I was kind of hesitant to even open him/considered just taking him back.

Glad I changed my mind. His head/neck/back thing is a pretty dumb design flaw, but other than that, he's great. Cool mold, lots of hinges and joints and good balance. Mine has super tight joints too baby, unf unf.

Good figure. Way to be, Jolt.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Easier than i thought to mod
    [​IMG]

Full head movement ftw

5. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:

I like :) 

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

The banana thing is lost on me. Amusing, but in a WTF way. You guys are something else sometimes. :lol 

Anyways, there's been something about this guy that's drawn me to him from the start. Glad to see even people who thought he was going to be crap at first are liking him... only one negative review in this thread. Can't wait to get him. Will definitely have to check out that mod so his head can move, too.

7. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great alt mode but yet another ungainly, clumsy looking robot mode, the TF looks like it could be fun though and that can be a deal maker for me (eg with skids).

i find pretty much every core ROTF toy to be similarly ugly or clumsy, only sideways, big prime and some of the scouts seem to avoid this.

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Hey, so I actually just picked this guy up today.

His feet and ankles are kinda funky. Gotta find a happy place to balance em, but there's lots of articulation. He has swivels above the knee, but those are severely limited both left and right. Lots of foot articulation. Lots of arm articulation too: elbows, bicep swivels, balljointed shoulder on another joint that can move up and down and forward a little bit. Hips are also balljointed. Head is on balljoint, but as already said, is limited by GIGANTIC PIECE OF UNNECESSARY PLASTIC behind it. Sadly, it's too thick to remove with the tools I have. :( 

Transformation is simple, but it take a bit of time to line up all his panels, which I feel makes it a little more satisfying than, say, Stockade. He also has some posable kibble, which is fun to goof around with to find something you like.

I REALLY dig the blue on him. It looks really good.

Hands kinda stink. I miss the standard fists with pegholes that most figures in most other lines use. Wish they'd just stick with those.

Anyways, I like this guy. He's not OMGAWESOMESAUCEWTFBBQ!, but he's a good, solid, transformer. Has flaws, yes, but nothing that breaks the figure. He gains points for being enjoyably simple (though I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the hood went in bot mode from pictures), with just enough panels to fiddle with to make it so he's not too simple. Don't really like tha hands or whips (though I can't think of any way to include the whips and have them really work perfectly) or the above knee swivels, but a very enjoyable toy. I like the face... looks like a kooky old man, not the "smart young punk" his bio kinda gets at. I dunno, maybe it works.

9. alexcollier

alexcollier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a pity that they scrapped the flip out whips that are shown on the back of the blister. The current two-pronged switch is a little ugly. Though the flip out feature would have been impeded by the other panels.

10. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Just got Jolt the Volt, and he is totally worth it.

The car mode is okay, I love all the blue, but aesthetically it is what it is.

The bot mode is my reason for getting him. And I won't lie, the peaugh banana pic did mostly sell me on the toy.

His leg articulation is nice, and the arms are too much fun!

Now I can really get the most out of my leader prime and jetfire!

11. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

I'm hoping to find him today at the shops. He looks pretty nice.

12. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Yes, I want him.

13. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Out of the package, Jolt is ... really underwhelming.

He's a true "shellformer", in that a large part of him is, in fact, an empty shell. (You can even see this through the transparent plastic.) If you transform him according to the instructions, he's a kibble-ridden eyesore. The transformation is so simple, that I wondered briefly if he was an upscaled Scout.

However, he improves dramatically if you ignore the instructions, and put the wings up, the bumper feet vertical, and the shoulder windows up. (Actually, the feet are vertical on the package photo.) There's a clearance issue with the wings, but it's worth it just to get that crap out of the way. Within the limits of the arm/car kibble, he's ridiculously poseable -- his light weight is really an asset here. The whips aren't bad, either.

The more I fiddled around with him, the more I was bothered by a sense of familiarity. Hmm ... a windshield and roof that split to form arms ... a head that's all but molded into a solid piece of plastic ... weird kibble that doesn't go anywhere ...

Oh holy crap, it's Hotshot.

His engineering is like a weird hybrid of the Armada and Universe versions -- except he's actually poseable and *fun*. Unlike the Universe disaster, his transformation is easy, and the kibble doesn't get in the way as often. There are no weird gimmicks to cripple the design. He actually has a functioning WAIST. OK, there's that giant chunk of plastic behind his head from Armada Hotshot, but with enough power tools it's not an issue.

He's also the only car Deluxe from the movie that I'd even consider giving to a kid -- the others are so freakin' complex that they're not worth the trouble. (Well, there's Wheelie ... but apparently even kids won't touch him, if he's shelfwarming THAT badly.)

Not my favorite figure ever, but worth giving a chance.

-XCN-

14. richyungsociety

richyungsociety Well-Known Member

Bought him, and he's just OK.
    Transformation is way too simple.

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Final head/neck mod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tutorial is in radicons GD

16. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Man, Jolt really does grown on you. I like him more and more as time goes on. Anyhow, here is my preferred way of positioning the kibble:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  17. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    He has Shrimp-Eyes. :( 

18. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes! That is how I position mine, gives his elbow more clearance.

19. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    He looks so neat, reminds me of a movie version of Blurr.

20. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Okay, I just bought mine and am opening it up now.

What's the go with alternate transformations? I've been reading about them improving the figure a lot.