ROTF: Crappy film, or unintentional homage to G1 media

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mordecai6, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Now I've read a lot of debate in this forum since the movie has come out and I have to tell you guys off the bat, the movie sucked for me, it wasn't the twins or stoner mom(which didn't help) but the lack of story that killed it. Looking over some of the arguments and having time for it to sink in I have the theory that yea the movie had shortcomings but they were also ones that mimicked how G1 was back in the day. Here's a few examples

1-Random Characters showing up at weird times- Ok this was frustrating indeed especially seeing Bonecrusher, Grindor, and Jolt but does anyone remember the ridiculous amount of seekers that popped out of nowhere during Generation 1, among other supposedly dead characters(Brawn)? Were those ever explained, no we just had to kind of accept maybe they came from the space bridge, or in the movie's case that maybe Jolt was hunting Decepticons elsewhere.

2- Lack of Characterization for the Robots- The comparison here applies to both the comics and cartoons. Basically since the first movie we all were probably frustrated by the fact the robots had no time whatsoever to develop personalities and many (ahem Jazz) were reduced to cliches. In this movie we have a bit of the same with so many Decepticons/Autobots we don't even have real names for them outside of the toys and other media. But as Simon Furman pointed out and the tfwiki mentions here due to the rush to sync the cartoons and comics with the releases of toys, many characters were reduced to the same treatment as movie characters, with so many of them being crammed into each issue/episode that aside from cheesy intros (see Transformers comic issue #1) most were not seen again.

3-Nonsense Plot- Most of us that watched G1 cartoons can vouch for some real nutty plot lines, I wanna get into more detail but maybe some people with better memory could back me up on this.

4-Gimmicky Characters-In the movie's case the best examples are the Constructicons/Devastator and Jolt, considering the little that they added to the plot and action, it feels a bit surprising that they would invest so much money making many toys for both of these cases, but once again if we remember back to G1 comics when the line was dying down, we got dumped so many of the Action Masters, Pretenders, Headmasters, Powermasters and other such type characters in the fiction solely to promote the gimmick of the subline.

Ok that's all I remember for right now but I'll post more if I can think of them. What do you guys think? I'm completely off? Some truth? Did I not explain something clearly? I don't know about you guys but just thinking about the similarities made me enjoy this really loud and still pretty crappy movie a little bit more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
  2. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    It! IS NOT G1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    I never said it was but my point was that some of the complaints that people have had about the movie have plagued the franchise for a while, and with that it made it more enjoyable.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    hahaha damn . . .

5. darkpilatus

darkpilatus Member

This thread has just decided it for me... thank you mordecai6 I am never coming back to this site...

6. messi

messi Well-Known Member

No, G1 had memorable characters with personalities.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Hahah, I love the OP on this thread. Awesome work.

8. Spoon

Spoon Banned

No personalities? Check.

Starscream being Megatron's bitch? Check.

Lame lines during action sequences? Check.

Useless humans? Check.

Energon hunt? Check.

Goofy Doomsday weapon of the week? Check.

DECEPTICONS, RETREAT! ? Check.

Megadeath combiner taken down in one shot? Check.

Ineffectual trap involving loved ones? Check.

Location of the week? Check.

Clunky exposition? Check.

Characters appearing out of nowhere? Check.

9. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Just the way I like my Transformers.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

And there is nothing wrong with that, sir!

11. Spoon

Spoon Banned

In small doses, me too.

For two and a half hours though? That's kinda stretching it. My love for cheesy can only extend so far.

12. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Eh. I've watched 3 episodes of G1 in a row. I can easily handle that movie.

13. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Fair enough.

14. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

[​IMG]

15. messi

messi Well-Known Member

G1 eps are only 20 mins long. not 2 and a half hours and there's still more character in an episode than bay's 2 and a half hour shit fest.

16. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

And they also didn't cost $200 million per episode.

17. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

hehe, I always figured that the random characters showing up and stuff was just one big homage to G1 xD

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Here's the thing.

G1 an 80's cartoon made on the cheap that fit into the standards of it's time. Go back and look at any of the cartoons of that period and you'll see they all have the same sorts of problems that Transformers has.

Revenge of the Fallen isn't some made for Sci Fi movie but a $200 million summer event film. For that kind of money you'd expect it to live up to the standards of other big budget summer action films not fall back on the problems of a very cheap cartoon from the 80's.

Or put it another way if you pay for a movie ticket for a big budget Spiderman film are you expecting something like Spiderman and His Amazing Friends are do you look for something a lot better? Do you expect Adam West style Batman or do you expect more out of big budget Batman film?

The trying to be like G1 is just a cop out to cover things like bad writing, bad directing, bad editing, faulty movie logic and the other problems the film has. Making the same mistakes as the past really isn't much of a tribute.

19. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I've learned recently that Ash's posts are some of the only ones worth reading anymore.

20. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:

True Dat!

Bayboys were gonna like it no matter how crappy it is.