ROTF character screentimes calculated

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SKowl, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Here are the results of a little experiment I wanted to do. I re-watched ROTF recently, and as I did, I took note of each character's total screentime with a chronometer. I steered away from keeping track of the main characters like Bumblebee or Megatron, I wanted to focus instead on the new TFs, or the ones we knew had very little screen time... it's interesting to see how little screentime that actually is when you start counting!

For the sake of clarity, I rounded the times up to either the "0" or "5" mark - since I probably had a margin of error of a few seconds here or there. I counted whenever the character was on screen (in robot or vehicle mode). In cases of hectic, shaky cam action (for example, Prime fighting the Fallen at the end) I just let the chronometer run until it was clear the character was off-screen (or dead, as the case may be).

Here they are, in order (with some screenshots to make it look cool):

[​IMG]

The Twins: 6 min. 40 sec.

[​IMG]

Jetfire: 6 min. 30 sec.

[​IMG]

The Fallen: 5 min. 10 sec.

[​IMG]

Devastator: 3 min. 35 sec.

[​IMG]

Wheelie : 3 min. 10 sec.

[​IMG]

Sideswipe: 2 min. 15 sec.

[​IMG]

Rampage: 1 min. 45 sec.

[​IMG]

The Doctor/Scalpel: 1 min. 40 sec.

[​IMG]

Soundwave/Dr. Claw: 1 min. 35 sec.

[​IMG]

Ravage: 1 min. 35 sec.

[​IMG]

Ratchet: 1 min. 35 sec.

[​IMG]

Demolishor: 1 min. 15 sec.

[​IMG]

Arcee(s): 1 min.

[​IMG]

Long Haul: 45 sec.

[​IMG]

Mix Master: 45 sec.

[​IMG]

Grindor/Blackout: 45 sec.

[​IMG]

Sideways: 40 sec.

[​IMG]

Jolt: 35 sec.

I think this is a good indicator of how fast this movie moves at times. When you actually count the seconds go by, you see how little time there is to take everything in.

Next time, I should count how much time Bay spends focusing on military equipment and soldiers running around... I'm sure it's a solid 10 minutes of the movie...

Hope this has been interesting for some...

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The point to remember with Bayformers, is that it's about people, not giant robots. The transformers themselves are almost incidental really. It doesn't take much to see how the robots could be subbed for say, Cobra, or ninja rabbits. The story would pretty much pan out exactly the same.
    I really don't think that bay has any interest in these giant robot things, except that Hasbro is pouring millions into his pocket!

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    These numbers seem a little low. Are you only counting when they're in robot mode, or when they're fully on-screen during a scene? Also, no Prime and Bumblebee?

Also, you should do a comparison with the human characters, and turn it into a series of graphs.

4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    No Scrapper?

5. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The times do seem a little low, but taking Wheelie as an example; He has a lot of scenes where he's participating in the action, but not actually on screen. The scene where Mikaela catches him in the box is a prime example. Mostly it's the human actors (cheaper than CGI) acting and reacting. The robots are on screen exactly as much time as is necessary to drive the plot forward, thin though that may be!

6. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Prime & Bumblebee were just too common, and it was difficult to track too many TFs. Especially when there are multiple TFs on screen at a time. I just decided to leave Prime, BB, Ironhide Megs and Starscream out of it...

As I stated above, I counted whenever a robot or vehicle was on screen, even if they were part of the action. For as long as I saw them, the chronometer kept going,

And yes, the numbers seem low, but that's only because they are. If anyone is curious, they can double check. I'm sure you'd only be off by a few seconds... That's sort of the point of this exercice. It's one thing to say "Jolt has very little screen time" it's another thing to check, and find out he's only on screen for about 30-35 seconds in a 2-an-a-half hour movie

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I did something like this to determine the difference in screentime between the two movies. I only counted how long a robot was on-screen. I think TF2 had 50% more screentime that had robots, and obviously there were more robots onscreen as well during that time.

That's why I saw it four times.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    How long was one of Starscream's babies on screen?

☆○◇□△◎ΦΨΩΣΠΥΏΞΔ ψφΘωΛπσξδγα ŸζμλκεӌΜÿÅßÆ Èòæçåàñ™©®#€←ªº^~€÷∞@§%·¿

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Thanks for the info.

It was interesting to see how long I thought characters were on screen vs how long they actually were. Sort of like for the Twins it felt they were there a lot longer but other characters were not there as long as I thought.

Kind of sad it's called Transformers but out of almost 2 1/2 hours you aren't really getting much in the way of Transformers. I could see if they didn't talk the shark in Jaws or the aliens in Aliens, but for things with personalities that doesn't seem like a long time. Now we just need someone brave enough to compare how long Joe and Cobra characters were in their bad movie.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Notice that he left the four biggest Transformers characters out (and that this method leaves out nearly the entire warehouse/forest battle scene)? Also, Ironhide shows up at least as much as Ratchet.

I mean, think about how many minutes of screen time that the background characters in any action movie get. Also think about how many dollars every frame of Transformer costs.

The main character in the movie is Sam; the primary supporting characters are Optimus Prime, Mikaela, Megatron, Simmons, Jetfire, and Bumblebee, in rough order of importance. Leo, Wheelie, and the Twins are comic relief; the other Autobots and soldiers are the cavalry; the Decepticons are villains (and we know how much characterization THEY get in most action movies).

One might compare this unfavorably with the screentime the robots got in the 1986 movie. However, this had a Transformer as the main character, and only two humans in the entire movie. The number of fleshed-out characters was roughly the same, which is no surprise because the length and structure of a film puts incredibly tight constraints on your number of characters.

11. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Wow. We all knew the Twins got oodles of screentime but who knew they had the most?

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You know, if a bunch of people all chose one character and just agreed to watch the movie with a stopwatch over a weekend or something, they could probably have a complete list of screentimes for every character.

The OP is right in that its hard to do for a single person in a single viewing, but if a group worked together, they could generate complete results pretty easily.

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to know how much time the characters are on-screen, and actually driving the plot, talking things like that. Discounting all the filler scenes like the NEST base, where you see some bikes and cars just sitting around (really, come on!), how much do the robots bring to the party? I'm guessing not much. The TF's are mostly just props.
    Having said that, the forest fight is hands down one of the coolest fight scenes ever. F.A.C.T.

14. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Who gives a shit.

15. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Meagtron? starscream?
    And poor jolt =(

16. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I love how very few people actually READ the opening post. The poster clearly stated he left out Prime, BB, Megs, SS, etc from his experiment...Yet "where's Prime and Megs? " is being asked. READ PEOPLE. Thank you :) 

17. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Bloody Hell. Those fooking Twins!

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It's not a very good calculation of RotF character screentime if you leave out the principle characters.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed that it would've been a little better to include the main chaarcters.

People forget how expensive it is to render the robots. It's not cheap.

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, this is why the robots dont have the spotlight on the films