RotF Brakedown

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Optimus Prime, Oct 1, 2009.

1. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Picked Breakdown up last night, and the scout line continues to impress.

I need to try what Squall mentioned upthread about sliding the chest forward, but so far I find myself only wanting some real heelspurs to manage some poses. Even the tight tabs and panels I was worried about loosened up after switching to altmode and back a couple times.

...funny, that. The majority of my to-get list is basics now.

2. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I feel its time to break out the "Tiny God" moniker once again. This guy totally deserves it.

3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I show someone what a transformer should look like this is it. I want to buy repaints of it. It deserves repaints! I'm thinking Wildrider!

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    only complaint is his huge backback-can it be folded? cause it sticks out far on this back.

EDIT:: nvm, fixed it!

EDIT2::actually, it still looks funky..

5. AllSpark Ferret

AllSpark Ferret hANDYman

News Credits:
    ROTF Brakedown arrived this weekend, from Kapow toys. I've loved most of the scout class toys from ROTF.

VEHICLE: An excellent update of G1 Breakdown, down to the red panel on the front of the car with Decepticon logo. It's so detailed and even has places for front and back registration plates. It's really solid in car mode, holds together well and rolls freely.

ROBOT MODE: A fairly complex transformation for such a small toy, borrowing heavily from ROTF scout Detour / Dead End but much improved with some new twists. Robot mode is also clearly an update of G1 Breakdown, including the colour scheme and the head. Articulation includes ball joints for the head and thighs. The arms have bicep swivels and two rotating joints for the elbows. Wrists are also ball joints. Legs have upper-thigh swivels and hinged knees and ankles.

The head would look right at home in classics. The arms unfortunately are far too long; as long as the legs if not longer. It doesn't help that the arms are incredibly skinny as well. The hands are in an open position but despite the good range of movement due to the ball joint wrists, if you move the hands out too far, they just look silly. Bonus points for having four fingers and a thumb though. The legs look okay from the front but from the side they have the patented 'Movie goat legs' which for me spoils the toy a bit, as well as the articulation. The knees are such a funny shape that if you bend them, they don't look bent knees, it just makes them look even more like the legs of a quadroped.

You can pull the chest out which also brings forward the shoulders. However the shoulders were already further forward than the head and hips and this just makes it more pronounced.

OVERALL: A good toy but doesn't beat Dirt Boss and Ransack as the best ROTF scouts. I'd like to see a de-moviefied version of this design.

6. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    love the attitude this little guy has

[​IMG]

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

My TRU had a feww of them , which is suprising since they've always only had wave 1.

He's decent. Alt mode looks likes a small Fast Action Battler though.
    More chubby than sleek.

There's 2 tabs on his back that's stopping his backpack from folding all the way down.
    Shave em off or shave the tabs that correspond with them for it to fold further.

He has no weaponry, but you can easily store a rifle on him by sliding it into the slot on his back.
    Don't see too many points for an easy Menasor mod. Finding good areas to implant some limb connectors will be challenging.
    Would get a second for Wildrider, but 99% sure Hasbro already has the repaint planned.

6.5/10

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice toy, but kinda stuck in the 'uncanny valley' between movie and classics style. I'd probably like this a lot more if the proportions were more 'standard'. The wide flat chest, long arms, and stump-torso turn me off to an otherwise fine toy.

9. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what you can't see in most of the pictures is the detail of his teeth... which i don't really like, awesome figure though

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to put the waist on mine in this position, otherwise he is as floppy as hell.

11. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Active Member

Got this at the Holyoke, MA Target last night (along with Mindwipe), mine has the shoulder issue as well... going to see if I can shave off the offending tabs to fix it.

Edit: Success! Two quick snips with a diagonal cutter and cleanup with an x-acto and it transforms fine.

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Picked him up just a bit ago. He's a fun little guy, but I don't really see how his transformation is all that spectacular... I don't think it's BAD, not at all. In fact, it's simple, quick, and fun... which is a tough balance, admittedly. I don't really see anything "Holy crap that was awesome!" about it.

I love the alt mode. I have nothing else to say, I just love it. It's awesome.

Bot mode... OK, that part where you pull his chest forward? I don't know what that's about, but I don't like it... his head sits too far back, and looks kinda isolated on the body like that. But hey, that's fine, I don't need to have it pulled out. The arms are spindly, yes, it's been said.

Headsculpt is AWESOME. It actually almost looks like BW Rat Trap's mouth... and at the same time, it doesn't. Very mean looking.

He's a very good scout. I wouldn't go so far as to say GREAT, but then again, I've had him for about an hour, and I bet he'll grow on me.

13. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screw it. I'm sayin' it. Tiny God.

14. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Got it a couple days ago. He sits on my nightstand in his Lamborghini like alt mode.

15. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I think the pin for one of the front wheels isn't in all the way on mine, because it's kinda floppy. Never seen that on a wheel before, though my Movie Wreckage has a wheel that is immobile, I guess the opposite problem. Ah well. Yeah, this is a great Scout size figure.

16. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I love this little guy.

Anyone else noticed how the eyes of the Decepticon symbol are upside down? The symbol on the hood, that is...Or is it just mine? Mine looks all happy-face.

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I'm picking another one up for a repaint. There's plenty of room on the inside of his door to attach weapons.

18. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Picked him up the other day, and I just love the guy. He's actually the first ROTF toy I've bought, and I thought he is a great homage to the G1 version. You gotta get him!!

19. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like how his number plate/lights area of the car become his chest, cool scout figure.

20. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):