ROTF Bluray English subtitles are messed up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AngusDF, Oct 15, 2009.

1. AngusDF

AngusDF Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so English is not my first language, but I think the English subtitles in the Bluray release of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen are all messed up.
    I'm not sure about the DVD release, but they're are probably the same. And since subtitles in other languages are probably translated from the English subtitles, those are probably messed up too.

Here's a few examples.

At 1:11: "NEST team is deactivated"
    Subtitle says "US teams deactivated"

A few seconds later: "pending further orders" becomes "any further orders?"

When Leo tazes himself, "before you can't have kids" becomes "so you covered the gates".

Another example:
    When Mudflap gets sucked into Devastator, "Kung-fu grip" becomes "Careful grip". Then Skids moans:
    "He dead. He got so ate. He got all eaten." becomes "He did. He got so waste. He got all these..."

I'm sure you guys can cite a lot more examples.

This really sucks. Some of the dialogues in the movie were really funny and got all messed up. I can't believe no one took the time to go through this and review the text. Bummer.

2. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

You don't say.

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Does it really take away from the movie? If you don't speak English then why would you even have the English subtitles on anyway?

And where did you get a copy of the DVD already? Bootlegs don't count. I'd wait until the official release on Tuesday.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Some stores have put it on shelves early, apparently.

Anyway, I find it weird that Paramount's closed captioning lately is so poor. The first movie's DVD had decent subtitles.

5. AngusDF

News Credits:
    As I said, English is not my first language, so English subtitles sometimes help me to understand some of the spoken dialogue.
    However, I do have a good understanding of spoken English, to a point where I can tell whether the subtitles are accurate or not, but I can't say the same for many of my friends, who do speak English but can't understand spoken dialogue as easily.
    Also, I suppose the subtitles for other languages are going to be translated from the English subtitles, so my friends and relatives who don't speak english won't have the same experience that I had because the original material was done poorly.
    Finally, there is the issue with the hearing impaired.

6. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

If that's true, then it sux. I put up the subtitles sometimes because the actors/actresses' lines sometimes sounds like a mumble :p 

7. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Well, for now I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see the official release. I'll turn my subtitles on cuz now I'm curious.

8. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    geee man, you downloaded a bootleg subtitle. people that release bootleg movies made those subs. i checked.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please tell me this is a joke.

10. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Close captions doesn't count

11. AngusDF

News Credits:
    It's possible. I don't have the official release in hand yet (I'll definitely buy it when it comes out). But I assume the subs in the version I have were ripped from the official release. I could be wrong though.

Probably a good idea. I'll be the first to come back here and apologize if the subs on the official release aren't messed up.

12. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Subs from bootlegs are made from the people who bootleg them so they aren't the official subs.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, man. Hardly an 'All your base', but hilarious nevertheless. :lolol 

14. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Chugway? Seriously?

Okay, now I want a redeco of Shockwave named Chugway! Seriously, there would be threads all over the place arguing over what his name means.

Oh, and for what it's worth, English is my first language, and I always use subtitles. It's the strangest thing: I can hear people conversing on the other end of the house, but when I'm watching a movie from five feet away, I need subtitles to make out the dialogue from the rest of the soundtrack.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    :lol  Subtitle FAIL.

16. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

I remember that!

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I was glad to hear Chugway get praised, but how's Shockwave doing?

I'd say your subs are a part of your overzealousness to download the movie illegally. Wait until it hits the streets, then buy the movie (you know, actually support the film makers) and play it with subtitles then.

18. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

I'm sick of people playing the "support the filmmakers" card. Most people think the filmmakers get more than they deserve already, whether they actually do or not, so this argument won't sway anybody. The fact of the matter is that those who will steal it will steal it, regardless of what the law says, and those who will buy it will buy it, even if they steal it first.

19. AngusDF

News Credits:
    I'll definitely buy it when it comes out, but it won't be to support the filmmakers. They screwed up big time on this one, the movie could have been soooo much better. If anyone deserves my money its ILM, but only them.

On a related note, I like to show my support to underground hardcore bands. When I go to concerts, I always buy a CD and a T-shirt of the bands I like. Those guys will play for food and definitely deserve and need our support. Can't say the same for Michael Bay, his writers, and company.

20. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Good for those people. I can still look down on them for thinking their own personal satisfaction somehow needs to take precedence over everything else. That goes for every aspect of life though, not just internet piracy. I am of the opinion that if you can still support the people who worked on the product, you should.