Heavy/Scratch: ROTF Bludgeon Skull Face

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tom_Servo, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I'm throwing my hat into the Skull Head Bludgeon ring with this one. There is the question out there of why an alien robot would have a human skull for a face. The answer is simple to me. As a master of Metalikato he knows the importance of intimidation and psychological warfare, and has taken on the local death imagery as his look. And besides that, it's extremely Metal.

I decided to build up my new face on top of the original. I started by carving out the mouth area with an exacto knife. I left the eyes intact, because I will be needing them, because I want to recast the block behind them in clear red to "reactivate" the light piping that Hasbro decided against using. I'm ok with the helmet, but I wanted it to have a bit more shape. I carved grooves into the sides of to make them look like they fold outward, like the G1 helmet.
    [​IMG]

I used Faststeel to make his new brow ridges and nose hole. I don't normally use it for faces, but I wanted it to set quickly and be strong. I added a center point on the crest to make it a little more interesting looking.
    [​IMG]

When the brow ridges set, I carved them into a sharper shape with the exacto. Next I sculpted the teeth with Quikwood, because it sets slower and is better for detail work. I also went over the cheeks and narrowed the eye sockets. I also popped off the center crest and started over.
    I originally tried to sculpt both rows of teeth at once, but it wasn't happening, so I trimmed off the bottom and did my best on the top. When I have to do teeth, I use a small tool with a round top to make the dents at the top of the teeth and an exacto to make the grooves between them. If you use an exacto for more than five minutes it will usually have the very tip snapped off giving you a little square end. This is the perfect tool for making little grooves in things.
    [​IMG]

Once it all set, I went back in with the Quikwood and finished the bottom row and finessed the cheeks and nose some more.
    [​IMG]

At this stage, I painted it all white to get a better idea of what I need to fix up, and I trimmed down the cheeks some more.
    [​IMG]

Then I put another layer of paint on and test fit in on the body. I find that painting as I go is good for getting a better idea of the final product and helps give a smoo lther surface. The details will be a lot clearer when it isn't just glossy white.
    At this stage, I'm going to put him down and come back to him with fresh eyes later, to see if I want to change anything before doing a final paint.
    Thanks for looking!
    As always comments and suggestions are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. landbasered

landbasered Well-Known Member

AWESOME WORK MAN

You should paint the helmet orange...
    wait. No. But it would look cool. Do whatever, you know what you're doing.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great work, man :thumb  I really like all of the work you've done modifying it :) 

I think your first wip photo lends itself really well to the comic book design head:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    love it

awesome work man

5. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude...:bowdown: 

6. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks everyone! I haven't been posting as many WIP shots lately, so I was better about taking step-by-step shots for this one.
    Landbasterd- definitely a warm color for the helmet, but probably still a maroon.
    SQ7- I had the same thought, but more at the third stage with the lower jaw off. There was a moment when I was sick of shaping teeth that I almost went for it.
    Bleeyboy, Closetrat- thank you gentlemen!
    And thanks again everyone! Encouragement is always appreciated!

7. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

too bad hasbro had to give him the ugly face. Your variation looks perfect!

8. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks Snarl! For this colorscheme, I ended up mixing white, brown, yellow and black. The helmet is a mix of red and brown that came pretty close to the original color, which I liked. I then washed the details of the helmet with flat black. I might have to clean it up more and bring out the teeth, but I'm pretty happy with it as is. I don't know when I'm going to get around to recasting the light-pipe, block, but I'm expecting it to really bring him to life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the way, this makes me laugh but angry at the same time when I consider that it wastes my processor time and adds X amount of time before the page loads.
    [​IMG]
    This kind of crap has exploded on Photobucket lately. Does anyone know a truly no bulls**t photo sharing site?

9. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    The fact that you can get your custom on a mug is creepy, but strangely self gratuitous. I would have gone with the bottom teeth out because seeing that scared the poop outta me. Regardless, great job.

10. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    oooo, can I get a mug? this came out great servo. you gotsta skillz!

11. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks gents! No mugs, but I've got a mold working on this head now. Soon his eyes will blaze with evil!

12. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

It's an excellent piece of workmanship, but i still can't buy the human skull thing.

13. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    I've made the molds for the head, and I've got a proof of concept on the light pipe mold. For this I used a cloudy clear resin because it sets very quickly. For my final, I'm going to use a crystal clear resin that takes over a day to set properly. The red of the eye is not dye in the resin. It's clear red Tamiyacolor paint on the eyes. I've noticed that this is something that Hasbro has been doing lately. It lets more light through and helps the block stand out less on the back of the head.
    [​IMG]

14. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    if u'll recast the light piping
    can i have one copy ?