Heavy/Scratch: ROTF Bludgeon - Necessary Mods to make a better Samurai

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AComplicatedBot, Sep 10, 2017.

1. AComplicatedBot

AComplicatedBot Member

I love ROTG Bludgeon. Since I saw Thew’s review yonks ago, I decided to try and find a decent one. And thanks to one of the stall-holders at TFCON I could tick-off another of my TF grails.

Whilst he is awesome, he is not perfect. For example his lower arms are just meh…. empty voids, and as it turned out his hands can be pretty fragile too:

Oww.jpeg
    (This never happened to Toshiro Mifune.)

In fact I have a list. And you know what? Let’s do this! Poor Mr B. is going to be my unwilling vict.... volunteer. Basically I’m hoping to get some ideas, spark some in others, keep the swearing to the ham-fisted-DIY-sessions, and see if an amateur bodger with an unhealthy-desire to break stuff in the name of improvement can do this without either embarrassing injury or shattered expectations.

(At this point, I am just going to say this is not a rage-against-the-designer reaction. Sir / Madam - if I was in charge I would have given you more money and more time, but then you wouldn’t want me as a boss - too eccentric).

The list so far:

- Swap the upper legs around. Most of the mods here will be for Robot mode, but this one is for the tank-mode aesthetics.

- Replace the lower arms with something that 1) has better articulation, 2) aren’t going to self-destruct and 3) look kick-ass when painted.

- The feet. Either complete replacement (not sure what with), or swap the heels around at least so he can balance on the more dynamic poses.

- The head. Now I actually like the head more than the 3rd-party alternative bits (yes yes, I know, absolute heresy). I think some light piping will do nicely. (But which figures can 'donate' their eyes....)

- His tank barrel opens up the possibilities for mounting a Samurai banner.

- Need. Better. Swords. Sure I painted them silver, but they keep bending under the weight of the paint.

- Missile pods can go. Mounted machine gun replacement, removal or painting.

- I think some more Samurai-armour accents would do very well….

Disclaimer:
    Don’t come crying if you followed my dodgy poorly-explained diatribe and your Bludgeon is now a smoking-wreck that has brought shame to your household and disquieted your cat.

It begins....

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

You can get a great set of swords from the headrobots kit, assuming you can still find one out in the wild for a decent amount

3. AComplicatedBot

AComplicatedBot Member

Upper leg swap-around - done (ok about a few weeks ago).

Quite simple to do. The difficult is in prising-apart the two main bits of plastic on each. One screw at the top, one at the middle-ish, and a pin at the bottom.

There was a small bit of flex / play in the plastic, so I elected not to try and take out the lower pin, and decided to instead scare myself seeing how much I could lever the screw-less legs open with a suitable screwdriver and swap them over, dicing with a server femur-like injury…

But I made it.

Legs.jpeg

Maybe on reflection I should paint the whole legs black….. but I am going to find some black screws or paint them later.

4. AComplicatedBot

AComplicatedBot Member

Yeah I've been looking for ages, but I am so late on the Bludgeon train..... trying to find a set is proving difficult. Heck I almost bought the one for the earlier Bludgeon figure to see if I could mod it....

Got another update to post for tonight, this one is a doozy. Thanks for you interest!

5. Hellscream85

That's too bad, but if you're not averse to painting you can try Shapeways, tons of swords with 5mm handles on there of varying sizes and designs on there, I'm sure with a bit of diligence you can find what you need, my suggestion is to go all out with the newer black acrylate material, it has a rubbery texture but won't flop around on you like the stock swords and is the highest detail vs. fragility material on there currently.

6. AComplicatedBot

AComplicatedBot Member

Replacing the lower-arms - 75% done, just needs painting.

At TFCON, I also took part in the charity auction, and got cool deal on a bag of a few figures, including a 95%-complete Darkmount. And now a year later, I looked at that mostly forgotten figure, and then at Bludgeon ….. hmm….

So now we have this!
    NewArms.jpeg
    (Hmmm......)

Finally - wrist articulation! With all this, we now have much more fluid and natural posturing, like “RRARRRAGGAGAGH!!” :

RRAGAGARHHH.jpeg
    ("I'm so angry that I haven't had a Titans-Return figure yet!!!!")

And ‘sword-angled-to-look-super-cool’ without twisting the shoulders weirdly:
    SuperCoolSwordPosing.jpeg

And with “Opening-and-Closing-Fingers-Action!!” that means I don’t need to slide things into his hands now.

(Yes - I cut the end of the sword in a fit of mild anger a few months ago. If it wasn’t there before I could have slid the sword into his old hand, not pressed it in sideways, leading to the aforementioned finger-breakage. Ah well you live and learn).

Used the pin that was the elbow joint on DM, and some suitable bits of plastic* to act like the bar that the pin goes through and fit snuggly into the inner-elbow hole. Needed some filing on the new arms , creating a slanted-down square groove, allowing the inner arms to slip into this groove to facilitate bending.

The detailing on DM’s arms also have lots of cool molded-details that when painted will look a lot like layered armour.

And… yes, the arm-treads stay, but will be painted black to fit in. Faux-kibble? Kibble for the sake of kibble?!! Oh yes. Bwahahaha!!!!

(*An admission. ‘Suitable bits of plastic’ means the longer-barrels from the hidden back-guns from Generations Crosscut, chopped off with a almost unsuitably-small pair of snips, then suitably filed-down further to fit. Yeah my CC was a bit of a mess. Waste not, want not.)

I’m now going to open up my first question. Swords, I need something that sizes well with Bludgeon, but it doesn’t have to be TF. Japanese model kits, Dr Wu, Shapeways, Samurai models, random toys from other companies. Anything. (As I said to Hellscream85, (first-post-reply, well done my friend), the Head-Robots set if always eluding me so I have for the moment given up on it).

Has anyone got any specific suggestions?

• Like Like x 2
  7. AComplicatedBot

AComplicatedBot Member

Good idea, but when it comes to swords I want a finish that my amateurish efforts just can't seem to muster so far.... but good tip about the black acrylate, thanks. (I was going to do an order for the nunchuck-bo-staff weapon for CW Liokaiser anyway... hmm...)

8. Hellscream85

I may have a solution for that as well, look up YouTube instructions on how to "chrome" plastic, you'd be surprised by the amount of things that are actually well within the realm of doable, lol

9. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Try this:

- PA-02 Samurai Weapon Set

• Like Like x 1
  10. grimtnt

grimtnt Paradox

If your still looking for swords, you could Try knock off or non-branded cheap toys from dollar stores

I got my bludgeon some new swords from a 6inch 5 poa cyber ninja ....thing,

The figure was shit but it came with a sprue full of nicely detailed weapons

11. kjata

kjata Well-Known Member

The Kotobukiya Modeling Support Goods line has some nice swords of various descriptions, though sadly they aren't 5mm compatible. They will fit in an articulated 5mm hand, so I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. The Headrobots or Perfect Effect kits are probably best if you want swords that fit in the turret, though.

12. AComplicatedBot

AComplicatedBot Member

Evening all!

Before my next update……

@primalxconvoy - A very tempting set…. but I came to the conclusion the only thing I would use out of it is the sword and knife. Just my aesthetic tastes once again talking me out of something (but cheers anyway).

@grimtnt - I had a look - all they seem to have at the minute is odd Gundam knockoffs …. not really suitable weapons for the B. (but I found one that will suit one of my Nemesis Primes :)  , thanks for the tip!)

@kjata - Got some on order, nice idea!

@Hellscream85 - Yeah I’ve talked myself back into the painting. Let me look at those chroming vids for a while …. hmmm….. :)  (Thanks ..... I already had a bit of a liking for Chrome ... just worried I may just starting chroming-stuff like there is no tomorrow ...... :eek:  )

So….. back to our irregularly-scheduled broadcast….

I decide to expend some effort on the tank turret. Taking it to bits is quite simple…-ish. One main screw at the back, where the main opening-hinge is, and a smaller one on the side. I decided to frankly rip-out the inner Mechalive-slidey-out mechanism and knife scabbard, so some more screws to remove, and some slight leveraging. (May reuse the scabbard later)

Why rip it out? Well…… a crazy idea to add some bonkers electronics (“light and sound action”) maybe in the future and that seems an ideal place to put it.

(And I never really got on with Mechalive - but I have to admit the idea behind the mechanism was quite nice).

The grey gun and missile launchers - well no real nice way of getting them out. Perhaps I could have heated them and pulled them out, but it seemed safer(?) for the surrounding plastic to just chop them off, and then delicately and carefully push and pull-out the remaining bits with various pointy stuff (small hobby files and needle-nose pliers).

Empty Turret.jpeg

(Ignoring the irony here of me of ripping out one sensible gimmick to probably replace it with another less-sensible one….)
    (Also ignoring this pic looks like a TF equivalent of blokes shaving someones head whilst he is asleep....)

And then for a final flourish, I filed the original gun port to make it 5mm compatible….. which means I can finally use another gun. In this case, T30s Whirl’s gun, once I also cut the clip stuff off the back of it to make it look more suitable for the B.

ABetterGun.jpeg

I expect I will fill in the missile port on the right side of the turret, and then fit Whirl’s missile pod on the left-side. Maybe silver paint on the barrels of the gun too, and the front bit of the pod.

In other news I’ve also been starting to have a go at the feet. I have found a donor ….

But that’s for next time…….

13. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    I only used the head, knife and sword, and then have the cannon to the G2 Megatron remold/repaint. There's no need to buy the set just for Megatron as the Bludgeon cannon looks fine with Megatron.

14. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly what I did! Course, I had the Head Robots kit previously, so those more traditional-looking swords fit Bludgeon quite well... but the PE head was sooooo much better looking. GDO Megatron appreciated the high tech gun/sword combo tho.

Gotta say, I like those new hands. Wish I had a spare Darkmount/Skullgrin to use for this now... or two, given GDO Megatron is in my collection.

Got any ideas for the feet? It's the one real gripe I have with this mold, frankly.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  15. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Couldn't we just use some misfiring modelling clay and/or some card/similar material to make a "shell/cover" for the feet? Then simply sand it down a bit too make the angles smooth and paint?