ROTF better than DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ruination04, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

ROTF all the way i say.

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i wish autobots get 5 or 6 members combier teams in rotf

3. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    I LIKE ROTF MORE THAN DOTM FOR EIGHT REASONS:

-Jetfire
    -Twins
    -Ravage
    -Devastator (balls and all)
    -Arcee triplets
    -Lio
    -Scorponoks return
    -"Doctor" Scalpel

4. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like ROTF better than DOTM too. Actually, DOTM is by far the worst of the trilogy IMHO: more nonsenses than the first two movies combined, not a single exciting or awesome scene, not enough new robots, 5 seconds final battle... Yeah, no thanks.

5. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    The only thing that makes ROTF better than DOTM;

'The eternal glory of Jetfire!'
    And the Forest Fight.

Though, IMHO Optimus vs. Sentinel was very close to been on par with the forest fight.

Not enough new robots? Isn't that good?
    Sorry, but with less new robots means more robot characterization and lines for the others. Or do we want another Jolt?

DOTM's Optimus vs. Sentinel battle lasted longer than The Fallen & Megatron's did.

And I think I speak for about 70% of the forum members when I say that I got chills in the highway scene.

6. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What robot characterization, two liners like the Wreckers or Que? If you are satisfied with what you got, good for you but to me, it was exactly like the two first movies: aside from Optimus and Bee, there's pratically no other robot characterization other than their looks. So yeah, I would have loved more new robot characters, new alt. modes, new transformations, maybe new concepts and new battles.

Final battle is Optimus VS Meg. Disregard that Optimus VS Sentinel felt boring to me.

To each his own. It was far from being close to anything that could give me chills.

7. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know if this is the thread I already posted about it in or not and don't care enough to check almost 10 pages, so I'll just repeat the nutshell version...

I absolutely LOVE TF:D otM for what it is and think Krueger & Bay did a pretty good job.

But between the writing and the storyboarding I just don't think it was QUITE there yet.

The epic moments aren't as EPIC and the funny moments aren't as FUNNY.

Still good, but I think it really NEEDED that extra year of development the studio yanked out from under Bay to match the over-the-top, unbridled awesomeness of the first two.

:-\

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    ROTF has its moments, there's no question. But as far as movie structure goes, give me DOTM.

9. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

The trilogy goes like this: TF1>ROTF>DOTM.
    The only good things that really stood out to me was old man Sentinel. Shockwave was cool to look at but with that rushed ending it just killed it. DOTM had the potential to be the best of 3 but they rushed on 4th & inches & came up short. Missing autobots that didn't die in ROTF & and making the cons really look like "Punk ass Decepticons" is slack & lazy. I wish soundwave would've rushed to pull the trigger on bumblebee & sentinel rush to give Prime that final blow before Megatron showed up. That would've made my day.

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Your friend is a ******.

But no I don't care if its someones opinion, anyone with a working brain should be smart to know that DOTM is better in pretty every case(excluding the forest battle).

11. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

the optimus vs sentinel fight is perhaps the best fight in all 3 films

12. megatron6661

anyone who likes TF1 but hates DOTM, that really does not make sense. DOTM is overall a more complete film. I hated the style of TF1, ROTF it is up and down. The annoying build up to sam at college, then we get a huge build when the decepticons capture sam, to optimus dying. After that there is a huge gaping hole in the film. Even the final fight is just a meh

DOTM it really is better developed film, Sam's backstory is ok, the back and fourth of the decepticon's plan along with the humans and autobots getting prepared, has the decepticons close in. And has soon as the highway battle is underway, it is one hell of a ride. I have watched DOTM far more times than the first 2 combined, TF1 is ok, ROTF I do not like after watching DOTM.

The biggest crime of ROTF, is not the twins, the dumb humour the way it was all over the place, it is the lack of optimus prime. When he dies, by the time he returns the film has 5 minutes left at best. For me without optimus prime the film is missing that piece

13. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I love TF1, and I'm no fan of DOTM. How exactly is DOTM a more "complete" film?

14. megatron6661

DOTM is what they took all the good things from 1 and 2, and combined it. TF1 is just to slow to get going, to much technical stuff involved instead of getting to the point, they explain way to much and the transformers get lost in this. Heck megatron is not in it until the last 50 minutes of the film, and he is in it for 15 of the 50 mins left. Most of decepticons seem to be in hibernation until megatron returns, before the autobots come to earth the film really drags. the firt 90 mins are really boring

DOTM it is what a live action transformers film should be about, both the transformers and the humans get the same amount of screen time, the humans are better developed, hell some of them are badguys are humans. From the moment the hightway scene gets underway, the films takes off like that.

TF1 lacked a badass optimus prime, the action is limited, and to much technical info. Apart from lack of screen time for megatron in DOTM, it is a more satisfying film to watch, and there is more going on, and we see what the autobots are really capable of which was lacking in TF1

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Better story, better writing, better acting, better effects, more emotional, more inclusive of Transformers franchise history....

16. Silk Spectre

megatron6661: TF1 is an introduction movie, and even though the many of TFs don't show up until half-time, it's quality vs. quantity for me every time. The scenes with the Autobots at Sam house and before they roll out for Hoover Dam have more character in them than anything we got in the sequels. The Autobots genuinely interact with each other and each one gets some time. And the Decepticons were threats, Megatron included. Sure, he showed up for only 15 minutes - but that was all it took for them to show him as an absolute beast, someone you could easily see leading an army (Decepticons) to victory and destroying a world. And, IMO, Barricade and Blackout had more memorable scenes that Soundwave or Shockwave, and many other 'Cons, especially all the drones, in the sequels.

I don't find the first 90 minutes boring, but that's also because I actually like the majority of the human characters in the first movie (less so with both sequels). Sure, in DOTM Dylan's a badguy, but there's no development there. Sam is the only human character with any real development, whether one likes the guy or not.

Optimus Prime suffered from extremes in the movie series, but I found TF1 to be a better portrayal of him overall. Ratchet, Jazz, Ironhide and Bee all got fight time in the Mission City battle. And while the DOTM highway chase and Dread fight scene was a bone thrown to those who wanted to see other Autobots besides Prime and Bee get a piece of the action, the rest of the film was pretty much "Optimus owns everything except Sentinel and Bumblebee gets a cool kill shot!". The Wreckers are there, the other 'bots are there, but they hardly contribute to the fight. Primes gets all the main kills and then some, with a couple going to Bee.

Disagree on almost all points there, with the exception of the effects and the acting, which I think were steady across all three films.

But as far as the Transformers history, it's nice, but it's only really nice to me when the movie is genuinely good. First and foremost, I'm interested in a good movie with a good story and good characters. They could have throwbacks to G1 episodes (or insert another TF show/comic/etc here) from TF4 until TF40, and if I didn't think any of the movies were good, it wouldn't make a difference in the world to me.

17. wrecker11

wrecker11 Wrecker

I honestly LOVED DOTM but ROTF was okay.

18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Just that statement alone makes me think you didn't really give the movie a fair shake or weren't paying attention.

19. Silk Spectre

Saw the movie twice. Haven't made it through it a third time.

All I remember the Wreckers doing was cutting OP down from some wires ( a silly scene, IMO), and tearing a drone to pieces as it stumbles out of the ship - but the focus quickly shifts to Prime so he can deliver the "Kill them all" line.

You see Dino (honestly can't remember him in the Chicago fight, I know he was there, that's about it), Sideswipe (has a split second scene of trying to fight Sentinel), and Ratchet (also split second scene of fighting Sentinel if I remember correctly & shoots some random drones but I don't remember the focus being on him when he does it. He shoots at the pillar, but it's Bee that takes it down and is the main focus of the shot).

So much of this stuff with the other 'bots happen so fast if you turn your head for a moment or blink you won't even see it.

Wheeljack does the most of any of them by giving Sam the weapons that he later uses to fight and kill Starscream, but he doesn't get any scenes beyond it except for when it's time for him to die.

All the Autobot scenes are background and/or extremely minor, or are so quick you'll miss it. Compare that to the close up fight that Sideswipe and Ironhide have with the Dreads, or Ironhide's slow motion collision with the Dreads (that fight scene + the highway scene is the only reason I bought the blu-ray).

In Chicago, that's all left to Bumblebee and Prime.

20. megatron6661

I made a topic on the TF1 fight between megs and optimus, for me optimus seems to not know what he is doing, he runs into a foe like megatron who is superior to optimus in every way, optumus has no plan in how to kill megatron, adding the fact he is willing to put the cube in his chest, if optimus does this the human race and the autobots are fucked.

The human part is actually the trilogy's weakest point, but when it involves the army the humans are well thought out. But sam's introduction, his love interest, it is awful. Dylan is a fantastic villain, he is one of the few humans who was a great character developed in one film, unlike a few I can mention. His interaction with sam is one reason why DOTM is far better developed human wise. I think sam's love interest with carly seems allot more genuine, and how Dylan uses the likes of soundwave and lazerbeak to get to carly was a bit terrifying.

Has for megatron, like I have said he lost what made him great after he died in TF1, his energon levels were low and he was never rebuilt right. The decepticons are a much more dangerous threat, they do not mess around they go for the throat. Destroy half of chicago, they have a villain who is partly a decepticon in sentinel prime despite he is a autobot when you look at him. So while megs may have taken a backseat in dotm, sentinel was a great replacement for megatron and he was this close in killing optimus