ROTF, 3 years on

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jun 24, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I have to admit, three years on, ROTF isn’t really looking that bad. I mean, when it first came out I was slightly disappointed and felt it didn’t really hold up to the standard of the first film. It wasn’t that it was awful, it was just that parts of the story weren’t too well-developed and that some parts of it could have worked better (Optimus Prime being in stasis instead of dead, more Seekers, seeing the Fallen actually start to drain the sun).

Post-DOTM, I revised my opinion of ROTF. I had hoped that DOTM would be a better film, but I found it was an even more mixed bag than ROTF had been. There isn’t really any point in going through it all again for the 9000th time, but I’ll say that in comparison I find ROTF to be a better sequel to the first film than DOTM, or at least it doesn’t deserve all the hatred it gets.

I can recall worse 2009 films than ROTF. DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION was probably the most heart-wrenching film I saw; if any film ever deserved Razzies it was that one, I’m still not over it! Instead, they hated on ROTF; it was PROBABLY justified, but it was overdone to the point where people ended up looking like trolls and MBay came up looking like the greatest martyr since G1 Optimus. I think it got a treatment similar to Sofia Coppola in THE GODFATHER 3: she wasn’t bad, but was weighed down by so high expectations that disappointment was inevitable.

Anyway, I still find it a fun watch every so often. Happy 3rd anniversary to ROTF!

2. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's still shit.

3. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    ah 2009. good times :) , i was more overhyped for this film than the others (i still have hyped for dotm, but wasnt as big as ROTF).

good film

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Still a terrible abomination of cinema.

5. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

lol no

It wasn't good.

6. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i loved it

buts its ur opinion, i respect that :) 

7. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Yeah I remember feeling the most excited for this one the most out of that three. I had loved the first TF and was expecting something even 10 times the awesome. From the ads and previews and info about all the new bots and action I thought it would be pure amazing. And honestly my experience with ROTF has been kinda the opposite of the OP's... I saw it multiple times while it was in theaters and loved it! But as time went on and I rewatched it without that sense of hype I started noticing more of how it went downhill in the 2nd half of the movie and how much better it could have been.

Currently it's my least favorite of the three. I still don't hate ROTF, and there are parts of it I think are pure awesome, such as the Forest Battle, but I do look at it as somewhat of a disappointment.

Happy three years though! Great movie or not, I still find it so much fun when it's a TF movie year... the waiting for opening night... seeing it in theaters... seeing all the ads... and tracking the box office. :lol  I do enjoy seeing them do well, and ROTf certainly did.

8. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF was ok.

9. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I loved ROTF. I actually like it way more than DOTM. The only thing it lacked was Shockwave, Optimus and earth mode Soundwave.

10. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ROTF IS AWESOME!!!
    Just ROTF made me a true fan...
    And I tired from your comments that you do not like it!!!
    To scold is simple - try to praise at first!!!

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This & this.

12. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

There's been way, way worse films than ROTF in recent years.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never understand why people constantly say this. Yes, there have been way worse films, but that doesn't affect THIS film in any way whatsoever. I mean, I thought Captain America (for example) was aaaaaaaaawful, but it never changed my mind about ROTF. It''s two entirely different contexts unless it's a discussion about which movie overall is THE worst movie ever made.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

ROTF is still the worst of the trilogy, hands down. In a way the entire Bayformers trilogy kinda of mirrors the Unicron Trilogy: the first part was good after a rough start, the second started out with lots of hype and was almost complete garbage, and the third managed to overcome the failure of the second part and be good in its own way.

Although to be fair, the majority of the ROTF line is arguably the best movie line so far. You can not deny that it gave us such great figures like Voyager Long Haul, Deluxe Brawn, and of course Scout class Ejector.

Just a friendly tip; don't use the term "true fan". To try and define what a "true fan" is can be demeaning to others who don't fit that definition, implying that they are lesser fans to those who are "true".

Also, the reason people are always negative towards ROTF is generally because there are so few good things people generally liked about the film. Outside of the robot battles, the human portions are not all that great (at least the ones not involving Lennox, Epps, or fully clothed Simmons, I find them the most tolerable humans because they're actually interesting in my opinon), and it's obvious Megan Fox doesn't even TRY to remain in character half the time when she's in a background shot. Furthermore, it introduced a LOT of concepts to the cybertronians that went unexplained and abandoned for DOTM, such as where Megatron went to after the resurrection (the general audience isn't going to know he went to the Nemesis), where The Fallen had even come from or how he'd escaped his imprisonment that was never specified, or what the hell was going on with Alice at all (the audience isn't going to know she's a Pretender, loosely based on the idea behind late G1 toys).

15. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    if ya mean how he escaped from the relic, it was explained in the covergence prose story. but obiously the general audience wont read the comics as many stated

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Honestly, the forest fight was good but apart from that - I really don't have much to praise.

17. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    ROTF made me a fan of Transformers.

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ROTF is my favorite of the three films and I'm certainly not afraid to admit it. So come on cinefiles who enjoy beating a dead horse. Come tell me about composition, plot holes you could drive Optimus Prime through, film standards and any other manner of ridiculous BS and I'll still continue to enjoy ROTF for another 3 years and beyond.

19. jazz_123

jazz_123 Banned

Biggest piece of shit ever made in 2009

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    So you like it, big deal.

Nice chip on your shoulder.