ROTDS gameplay is lacking?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Axilus Prime, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime Well-Known Member

I understand the complaints about the story and graphics. The story is terrible, especially on the movie end. The graphics aren't horrible but some improvement should be expected, yet none came. But the gameplay?

Why are there complaints about the gameplay when FOC was regarded as having excellent gameplay? ROTDS has FOC's gameplay, with a few new additions. Does the passing of two years suddenly make this gameplay we all know and love bad?

2. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

There were gameplay complaints? In my opinion the gameplay and escalation are the only good things about it.

3. Axilus Prime

And I agree with that. But some people actually complained about the gameplay, which I don't understand at all.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The complaint was that nothing new was introduced, not that the gameplay itself was bad.

5. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    So the New Levels, new Hacks, and having 3 Support items compared to two is not enough?

and although the campaign story is lackluster, it did have some moments for the "Cybertron" fans.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's a 4 hour campaign using unused FOC shit I wouldn't be jumping for joy.

Which are stupid. They should have left those out and focused on other areas.

Adding an extra support item isn't vastly changing the stale gameplay. So no, it's not enough for this game to be considered good.

Except it doesn't have any cool moments like Metroplex, the Bruticus level is still garbage, and the ending battle is HORRENDOUS. So...

7. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Wow way to be a Mr. Negative.

8. The Iron Magnus

The Iron Magnus Optimus's Face-in-a-Box

True, but half the things said in that post was true.

9. blitzjoans

blitzjoans "Destroy first, think later, sleep now"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Half? Haloid says all the truth. You can like it because it's a Transformers game, but the fact that some people like it don't make ROTDS a good game

10. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    There's just nothing different. That's the issue. Foc introduced new gameplay mechanics, but using those same mechanics minus any actual original environment to exercise those mechanics turns out to be kind of lazy and boring when you've already played Foc forward and back.

11. Dillatron

Dillatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The games biggest let down is the lack of new ideas, the game play's it safe, adding no new weapons and making little effort to improve on the gameplay.

12. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    FoC hardly had exciting gameplay to start with. Luxoflux were the only developer to make exciting gameplay. I'm still so pissed off that this series is a stale over the shoulder third person shooter. Where the creativity?

Edge of Reality did the best with what they had. High Moon didn't exactly break the mould with DotM and it was their IP.

13. Flaming Matrix

I'm glad you said that:ev: , I've been looking for a chance mention how much different and new DOTM did compared to ROTDS:

DOTM:
    Created characters and levels from scratch
    Changed the character system dramatically, with every character have their own unique primary weapon and ability
    Had a decent story instead of some jotted down in 5 mins schlock like ROTDS (try to tell me anyone couldn't make up that plot easily).
    Didn't have escalation, but did have multiplayer.

ROTDS:
    New (lazy) story
    4 new character models (they reused stuff from ROTF for some of the enemies!?)
    2 new escalation maps
    Tweaks to the existing ones
    Some new level assets

It's strange they are of comparable content when they DOTM did so much more new.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Mostly because it was.

Outside of the Grimlock level, I never enjoyed the game. Every level felt like some variety of chore, between the character swapping, getting the same crap in every box, and the generic storylines, I never felt immersed, only tasked. Even the Bruticus level, one of my favorites from FOC, was tiresome because it was just stand around and smash the same variety of enemies over and over again.

There was never any wow! moments, or great character moments like Megatron's new body level with his dialogue with Starscream and reasserting himself as the Decepticon Leader by showing his dominance in the arena of Kaon, or even drama like in the last level where the tension was being ratcheted up to the finale.

Replacing the level up system with the random boxes was a poor move. Instead of earning and purchasing upgrades to yourself, your tech, and your favored weapons, you rely on blind luck to get something useful. And the duplicate replacement system flat out sucks; getting 327 Scattorshots but still lacking the last two upgrade slots to your favorite primary weapon is many kinds of annoying.

Additionally, the challenge system is plain broken. I planted a det pack on Ironhide while cloaked, including kicking him in the nuts, but because Shockwave ran up and killed him, I got a failed on the objective. Later Shockwave immediately blew up a bridge so I wouldn't get the achievement for not inflicting collateral damage during the Cliffjumper boss battle. That's without levels glitching out, teammates glitching (such as not moving forward to open a door), and odd errors that require restarts (both Checkpoint and one level), including a botched execution as Grimlock that left the Decepticon in his mouth and disabled all the controls except walking and the camera.

And holy crap is that boss battle with Lockdown cheap and stupid. Only Ironhides boss battle in TF1 (movie) on the PS2 was cheaper.

I'm glad I rented it.

15. thewiredknight

thewiredknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually I agree with him. They really didn't add anything new aside from improving Eseclation from how FoC botched it.

None of the additions are "new" or "expanding" upon what was built. Hell I feel one of the biggest missed opportunities was a lack of new characters in the Cybertron segments. The G1 cast is massive and yet they didn't add a single character from it to either campaign, it was all reused characters and models that appeared in previous ones. They even had plenty they could have used that they had models for but chose not to (the stunticons, hound and wheeljack all have models but are nowhere in the story). The whole thing really added nothing to the lore nor the gameplay as basically saying you gave me three cookies instead of two doesn't change the fact that it's the same cookie I had before.

And the last boss battle was horrendously badly designed. You could raise your shield and literallly walk away and survive. Its direction isn't even clear in that you were supposed to shoot lockdown while he had a shield up but not when he' doesn't.

The Bruticus segment was poor, it amounted to one screen and just countless waves of enemies, it was fun for a little bit but it became tiresome fast when you realized this one room was all there was to it.

My biggest irritation is the fact that they don't seem to understand the Matrix at all and suddenly it can fire power beams and acts as a tractor beam.

16. Primacronus

Primacronus Clean-Up Crew

News Credits:
    This man speaks the truth!

Oh great, just because he stated his opinion and counter-reasoned another person, he is "Mr. Negative."

17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    He's negative towards a game that is a cheap rushed product. It has so many glitches, or it would just straight up crash. Story was you chase this little purple crystal that every Prime uses the matrix to banish away. That's it. Also Lockdown likes money. That's it. It's unoriginal, uninspired, and feels like a cheap cash cow to milk a bit as a movie is coming out. I wouldn't say it's worth it for $20. $10 on steam sale, maybe. Otherwise you're being ripped off.

18. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Are you only now figuring out that this is a movie game with a little over a year of development time?

Frankly, I was happy that we got all the correct voice actors.

19. Axilus Prime

For Drift and Lockdown, we didn't. Their voices were both done so badly, you could pass ROTDS off as a parody of AOE.

But despite the low amount of new content, I thought FOC had the best gameplay of any Transformers game ever created, and was great even when stacked up against juggernauts like Halo.

So, even if it is lazy, which I can't deny, it's still not possible to outright suck with that gameplay. And they modified almost every weapon in one way or another, for the better in each case.

Plus, you get to do things you didn't get to in FOC, like facing Titans as Bruticus, and great new abilities.

One issue I had with FOC was that I wished it had more levels. With this game, I basically get double the FOC levels I had before. Can't turn that deal down.

20. Flaming Matrix

^I'd rather have FOC's less levels, but of higher quality. When I first played FOC the first thing I did was the campaign, just wanting to try it out then go to another mode. I played a little, up to jazz, and then exited to the menu. I sat there thinking of what to do next, and ended up going back. Later on, I did the same thing after realizing I was almost at the end, and completed it. I did the ENTIRE campaign all in one sitting, and I haven't even completed games like Metroid Prime, Hitman, GTA, and many more. I even did it all in one sitting again! So that should say something about its quality.