Romita or Floro, who designed the G1 character models?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, May 7, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Over the years I've seen many different reports. What's the truth.

2. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

It was Chuck Norris.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I actually had the chance to interview Floro Dery for a paper back in graduate school. He implied that the pre-movie G1 designs were more of a team effort and everything from the movie on were more or less him flying solo.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Floro does have a lot of designs in the cartoon, especially the weirdo season 3 stuff, and characters like Alpha Trion really seem to carry his style, but he didn't contribute everything like he wants people to believe. It's generally accepted that Takara artists like Kohara Shohei first stylized the characters from the toy designs, with the early comic and animation models being variations on that initial work. Romita was Marvel's art director back then, and they were certainly part of the development of G1, but at this point it looks like his direct involvement on the character designs was previously exaggerated. As shibamura prime said, there was definitely various players involved. I'd say Takara and later, Hasbro, deserve their nods as well.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Technically, the original G1 character designs were done by people like Shohei Kohara, and then adapted by Floro et al, as they were simplified even further for animation. Stuff like removing Megatron's crotch trigger, getting rid of some wheels on some character's models, etc.

6. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Possible, but also equally possible that they used "control" art from somewhere else along the line. Here's Kohara's megatron design (from TFwiki), you can decide

[​IMG]

I think I see wheels on sideswipe's shoulder in that commercial, which would be more indicative of the Kohara designs than the Dery ones, no? I suspect that at that period, what was considered the "definitive" design for a character was in some state of flux, and this is just another example of that.

8. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never seen that commercial before.

9. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    My sources which are: Charlie Alvarado, kuest144, Ote, and Delamesa10, all agree that Floro Dery did all the models they also added "Floro Dery is man filled artistic creativeness oozing from his brain onto the sheets which he makes his arts on, and any people's informations saying otherwise are either "jealous", "harassers", or "racist"

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Your sources, assuming they are stating Mr. Dery is solely responsible for the G1 character models throughout their evolution from toy to screen, are wrong. That's quite the persuasive argument they're using too.

Don't get me wrong, Floro Dery was hugely influential in how we see the Transformers, and had a big involvement in what became the character models (To say nothing of all the other concept art he did) for the animated series, but he wasn't the only one doing work on them.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    anyone tossing around the terms "jealous", "harassers", or "racist" is likely Floro Dery himself.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    QFT.

I remember the first interview I read w/ Floro and wondered how he could be so audacious as to take credit for so much. I certainly don't want to detract from the man's artistic talents, but I had a very difficult time believing he was responsible for so much. Not even the legendary Jack Kirby could have cranked out that many character designs in such a short time.

And to shibamura prime -- you're going to have to change that new sig image for my sake. You're making me have the wrong kind of thoughts about TF characters. :p 

13. heroic_decepticon

heroic_decepticon Cybertronian

I've read a few interviews of Dery too. I think he does come across as an angry person and has taken or has tried to take credit for a lot. However, I think he is just bitter that he is generally not given respect for the work he did on Transformers (not that he himself actually remembers too much of it when asked).

To him, it was probably just another forgettable assignment among a slew of many. But I wouldn't be surprised that he did the majority of the character concept designs from 1984 all the way up to 1986 and maybe a bit beyond that, bearing in mind that TFs were supposed to be a 'forgettable' series at the time and it would be cheaper for Sunbow/Marvel to have one original concept designer (ie: Dery) than a team.

Dery is also variously credited on IMDB as the 'background designer', 'model designer', 'storyboard artist', 'production designer' for the TV series and is credited as the 'original concept designer' for TFTM 1986.

Thus even if he did not illustrate each character concept design himself (which he didn't according to his interview/s), he would have been the one supervising artists who came up with the designs.

To bring the discussion back on track, I'd say that, in terms of probability, Floro Dery was the man who did/supervised most of the original character concept designs from 1984 to 1986 at least and that John Romita had very little to do with TFs if at all. I got my understanding of the latter from an interview with Bob Budiansky (damn, link no longer works) that I read some time back.

It follows that Floro Dery was absolutely essential in visualising the way Transformers look and feel and has a lasting impact and contribution to TFs that I personally respect.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The idea that Romita had ANYTHING to do with the Transformers character models is an ancient fandom misconception. He was credited as "Art Director" in Marvel's "Transformers Universe" profile books, and this created the notion that he was the TRANSFORMERS art director, when really, that was just the position he was holding at Marvel at the time. Romita had nothing to do with the Transformers designs.

As noted, all indications are that the Japanese designer Shohei Kohara did the original character model designs for 1984, which where then cleaned up by Dery and his team of assistants into the finished ones. Dery and his assistants then did the character models for 1985 and the movie; more focus tends to be given to the movie work since the vast majority of designs in it were original, and later turned into toys, (hence the credit "original concept designer") instead of being based on toys first like the 84-85 characters. Dery left the series after the movie - he believes it was because he "dominated" it and "became the Transformers", so they "had to get rid of" him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    :lol 

16. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

if i remember right,those are the IDs that are rumored to be alternate IDs for floro to use to spread the great legendaryness of his legend

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    :lolol 

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You two guys appear to have missed some certain references in MrByatis' post. Thankfully, others haven't.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Dery was a great artist and a very imaginative man, but he seems to have quite the ego to claim so much credit. He did a lot for Transformers, but it's grossly unfair of him to essentially take all credit for everything and (seemingly) discount the contributions of others.

The wiki has quite a history of Dery's participation in the fandom under a variety of names, mostly to accuse people of racism and to spread his legend, as grimlockprime said.

Floro Dery - Transformers Wiki

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits: