ROM VS TRANSFORMERS SHINING ARMOUR, ISSUE 3

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Sep 27, 2017.

1. pluto

pluto Active Member

I think that between this, the really quite good Revolutionaries, and the middling-to-okay first strike we gotta start admitting this shared universe has got some teeth so far.

You know, two good teeth and one chipped one. More, potentially, as I'm by now convinced to pick up ROM

But this issue was tops! Enjoying Ultra Magnus' escalating death fake-outs, Stardrive's easily-swayed optimism, and Starscream's batshit ruthlessness. Rom is a bit of a cypher but he, along with everything else in the issue, sure looks purrrrty. That panel of UM tanking a barrage of laser spam is a real delight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Well-Known Member

Great first 3-issues!

Can't wait to see where this goes. I think that the conflict will wrap-up on this world--but I'd be stoked to see it go someplace else. (The shots of the space battles on the prelude in issue 1 were great! Milne has such a great set-building mind.)

The wraith-cybertronian hybrid was awesome... it reminded me of Orga, or Biollante from Godzilla.

I also really like Bumblebee's design. This is the closest we've seen him to his pre-earth G1/Sunbow model in IDW. I love that cheery little semi-saucer car.

Likewise, Astrotrain's train-mode was rad--a bit Web-Diver-y.

Eye candy galore. Intriguing world building. It's what I want in TFer comix.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I'm counting down the seconds until this Magnus dies. I'd be so excited to see a Minimus cameo.

• Like Like x 4
  4. SkY LINX

SkY LINX they used a young one

Instagram:
    Can anyone clarify if TF feel temperatures?
    Stardrive said she could but did cliffjumper in his spotlight say he does not?
    Not a big deal in continuity or anything, a bot could easily upgrade temperature sensors if it is not standard issue. shanix are better spent elsewhere.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Well, in Transformers Prime they nearly froze to death, in RID2015 they just went with a snow camo and all's good. I think it probably depends on the story if it matters or not :D 

6. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I'd guess it depends on the scale of the temperature difference?! Cliffjumper was talking to some biological dudes, on their home planet - who would be more sensitive to minor temperature differentials.

Whereas Stardrive was discussing the extreme cold of the planet with the other Knights.

Who have a different type or armour (see the Rom annual, in Rom volume 2) from Cybertronian skin. which leads me to think Stardrive is just 'painted' in order to fit in with the solstar knights.

7. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

I think it's more that as machines, Cybertronians have an internal mechanism that registers temperature and that translates to "feeling". There is a range temperatures that they operate best at so they need to know how hot or cold something is, just as we as biological organisms (and by extension Rom as well) have a sense of touch that among other things can feel temperatures and warns us from going outside our optimal range. However, the armor that the Spaceknights wear protects them from extreme temperatures and sheathes their outer sensory organ (skin) so it cuts off that sense of feeling. Stardrive, on the other hand, being mechanical, doesn't have an outer sensory organ to shut off so she can still "feel" the cold. That's how I interpreted it at least.

Yeah, this issue I was just waiting on Magnus to die because I'm secretly thinking this might be a stealth Minimus origin. Although I'm a little surprised Minimus wasn't Magnus for all that long.

3 issues in and I'm still a little unsure of this series. I love Rom. I love the Transformers. I really like both Stardrive's character and her design and beg for a toy to be made for her. Her jet mode kind of looks like a silver retool of MTMTE Rodimus with wings. I haven't been entirely sold on IDW's take on the Dire Wraiths who weirdly range in their effectiveness at times. The idea of a Transformer Spaceknight is wicked cool, but a Transformer Dire Wraith... I don't know, something bugs me about that. The design is scary as all hell though, I'll give it that.

8. SkY LINX

SkY LINX they used a young one

Instagram:
    You could assume any lifeform even mechanical would benefit from some temperature feels. What with all the things that could smelt you or freeze you like in dreamwave or movieverse.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I agree with a lot of this. I just wrapped Revolutionaries #8, and I kid you not, one of the descriptions for a character in a panel was "Europe's most dangerous villain" or something to that effect. It's poor, plot-driven writing when over the course of 8 books this hasn't been clearly established in-universe and has to be called out in a text bubble meant to reintroduce readers to every character every single book.

The narrow focus here gives characters a chance to breathe and shine, even in the midst of a ton of action. I hope Barber gets to do more of these stories and less linking and juggling of IDW-imposed crossover events.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Doctor X was established as "Europe's Greatest Supervillain" in the Action Man series. That's like complaining that Blackrock's caption calls him a "Titan Master."

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Pretty much this. ROM vs Transformers is pairing only franchises that already fit with each other and is perfectly uderstandable even only on its own for someone who's following only ROM or only TFs.

Meanwhile the First Fail took an entire separate miniseries to set up and still you'd better be following other IDW series to understand or care what's happening there. Not to mention its lousy, on-the-plot-demand writing.

ROMvTF is an example of a crossover done right and working just fine.

FF is, in a contrast, a perfect example of a dull and vapid mandated "big" comic book event, the kind of mediocre that comic book companies are spewing all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigfootRULES

bigfootRULES Well-Known Member

i don't see why the solstar order doesn't evacuate a planet before destroying it?

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Because they need to kill everyone, because they can't be sure who's not a monster yet. Forgot what they are called.

14. UltraMagnus3786

It's actually not at all the same. Transformers fans are the core audience and IDW seems to be building this Hasbroverse outward with TFs at the middle. It wouldn't be necessary to call out that Blackrock is a Titan Master because readers already know he's been in the TF universe for around 3 years, a TM for 1-1.5 years, and has appeared in just about every TF book since his creation (as well as crossovers). This miniseries is the first I'm seeing of DocX and I'm supposed to take it as a given that he's the greatest super villain of Europe? I get that the throwaway title box isn't meant to be taken to seriously, but it's emblematic of a larger issue.

And I think this knocks down your prior argument that these books can be read in a vacuum. The fact that that Doc X was "established" off screen in a different book that I haven't been made to care about proves my point. Sure, I can shrug and just roll with it, but to fully grasp and appreciate what IDW and Barber are trying to do, you really need to at least be up to speed with some of the other properties. Admittedly I don't read a ton of comics, but I've never seen an "easter eggs" section in a book before. The point of its inclusion isn't to make the connection for people already reading those books, but it's to entice the TF readers to read the other books as a "see what you're missing?" marketing move.

15. bigfootRULES

so what would happen if there was survivors that aren't Dire Wraiths?

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    They would be lucky.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    No, TF fans are no more the "target" audience for this book than, say, G.I. Joe fans who never picked up Transformers before. That argument is a logical fallacy. Doctor X being "Europe's Greatest Supervillain" is no bigger deal than Roadblock being identified as "Machine Gunner." It's her job title, but one that is played with a grin. But even if it was important plot information, is it really any worse than an X-Men comic referencing the Red Skull? Or mentions of things like "The Clone Wars" and "the Kessel Run" in Star Wars? No, because you don't need everything just explained to you in detail. It's one of the conceits of any long-running expanded universe. She's Europe's Greatest Supervillain. Why is this so hard to buy?

As for the easter egg page, its reasoning is to reveal easter eggs for people who might not have caught them the first time around. And if it was included solely for TF fans, why did they also include things like Kup's Ki-Aleta mention or the the TF Movie references?

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigfootRULES

i thought the knights would hunt them down not to take any chances.

19. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The idea that Revolutionaries is somehow expected to "establish" that Doctor X is Europe's Greatest Villain any more than it has to "establish" that the Predacons are elite Decepticon warriors or that Rom is the greatest of the Space Knights is absurd. Why can't it just be taken as given?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  20. UltraMagnus3786

I didn't say that the TF audience is the target audience for the book. I think the TF audience is the core audience for the Hasbroverse and the Hasbroverse is built off of Transformers. Where's the "logical fallacy" in that statement? GI Joe was dead in 2015 and the other properties were long dead prior to Revolution. IDW is hooking these other properties onto Transformers to give them new life. I have no way of proving this, but I imagine the number of IDW TF fans who picked up ROM/Micronauts/Mask/Action Man books out of curiosity vastly outnumber the ROM/Micronauts/Mask/Action Man fans who are picking up IDW books for the first time.

I already discussed the "titles" that are played with a grin above. Beyond an eye roll, I'm not annoyed at their mere inclusion on the page, but my issue goes beyond that to larger issues. Your example isn't really comparable, but let's take something similar. I have had zero qualms when Roberts or any other writer references, alludes to, or straight up rips old ideas from the UK comics which I've never read, because everything is explained in-universe in due course, and when it isn't explained immediately, it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the issue (take, for example, the years of references to the Tyrest Accord or the Wreckers without deeper/further explanation). With IDW's crossover and semi-crossover comics, the flow of new characters and lack of any meaningful characterization are jarring. I understand everything that's happening on the page and I'll "buy" that she's the greatest supervillain, but it feels quick and cheap.

As for the easter egg page, I'll have to look again because I quit after the first few, but IIRC, Kup's mention was more a foreshadowing of things to come. IIRC, we haven't seen him on Ki-Aleta, so while the reference was something from the past, its purpose is a teaser for stuff to come (perhaps related to the Magnificence). Whereas the others were more "here's something cool that happened in this other book you may not have read."