ROM VS TRANSFORMERS SHINING ARMOUR, ISSUE 3

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Sep 27, 2017.

1. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I can recommend it too - though volume 2 is where it really gets going ;) 
    Heh. There's lots more back story, and action

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    There's already a collected edition?

3. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Yep. The series is currently in its third story arc.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Another great issue. Agreed that everything seems to be balanced here--writing, art, action. I don't really have much to add except bring on the next issue!

5. Metal Boxes

Metal Boxes Active Member

Do you have to read any non-Rom book before jumping in? I love this crossover and would like to read about Rom too but I'm not too far with IDW's TF and GI Joe yet.

6. NoiseMaker

Rom is pretty self contained in that you really don't need anything but the first trade.. there's one linking element but thats about it. Its a great start to the series

7. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Nope! Rom is totally self-contained. Even the tenuous connections it has to the wider universe don't require any backstory.

8. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what one is that/

9. Metal Boxes

Metal Boxes Active Member

Awesome, thank goodness.

10. battlefudge

battlefudge Well-Known Member

I just picked this up, wow! Great story. Milne, I missed you.
    I didn't even realize how much I missed good old, Autobots vs Decepticons. The stakes feel real, I know Bee and Magnus survive (well, Bee at least) but it felt like they were in danger. I love how we are getting the backstory of Rom organically from this. I love Starscream being evil. I am enjoying that the nights are not bland copies of each other.
    If each hasbro entity could be introduced like this, I would be quite happy. I know visionaries are coming, and I can only hope we get a story like this one.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Decepticons are absolutely glorious here. The blatant disregard for anyone's else life and wellfare, the arrogance displayed by Starscream... This one scene with him and a helpless native was both hilarious and brutal.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i have mixed feelings concerning the hasbro titles. it looks like rom is going to fit in with the tf history the best according to solicitations that mention secret origins of both franchises. i am a huge g.i. joe fan but, have to admit, i don't enjoy the cartoon vibe or the artwork. but i still want the hasbro universe titles that feature even a cameo of the transformers to appear in the hardcover idw collection books.

13. NoiseMaker

I think its unlikely that cameos will be in the collected editions theres a single page in Rom volume 2, with 2-3 panels of Optimus and Soundwave. This is referenced/shown in other books. Revolution i think. So i doubt the story would be in the Transformers Collections. However, i would fully expect titles like Revolution, revolutionaries, first strike, and shining armour to be in them due to the heavy presence of the bots.

Good to hear from you again Cashel - its always good to see the old forum members now and again

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Yep, this has been a good crossover. It still reads like a Transformers comic and not a disorganised mish-mash that just doesn't work like other crossovers have been lately.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

There's a hilarious scene in ROM #10...

...where ROM and other knights are crowded by enthusiast humans and have to pretend to be Autobots because for your average human a mechanoid-looking alien = Cybertronian.

That's about as far as mentions of TFs go in ROM books.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    And IIRC, a little girl gives one of the knights a flower.

17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Stardrive, too pure for this world!

Ultra Magnus is very useful, "How can we have a character be established as powerful and imposing, a known badass, but still leave it unclear whether or not they'll make it, in a flashback story?".

• Like Like x 4
  18. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

th
    anks for the welcome. i always fear that (despite my growing up with transformers cartoons,toys, and tf uk i was more of a joe guy) i might not be wanted. but i love idw's tf continuity and own all tf idw collection hardcovers plus lots of trades and various issues not yet reprinted... not to mention the big crossovers of late. i still collect hama's g.i. joe and will continue until the series ends but transformers seems to have more depth and, as an outsider that loves the tfs from sunbow's first two seasons, enjoy learning the personalities of japanese, beast wars (love that cartoon), and up to the first tf live film (guilty pleasure but still enjoyed-sequels? hated). in time, i promise to post more responsibly.

19. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really love papa bear, Rom.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This doesn’t read as a Transformers comic for me per se...at least I enjoy it more than OP, which *is* a Transformers comic. I think the difference for me is more that the cast is smaller and more manageable in this comic, and the characterisation much stronger. I have to say I like the Rom based elements as much as the Transformers elements in this- in fact I think they make each other better and refresh the Transformers elements. The stronger writing makes it feel less like two (or more!) completely different franchises shoehorned together awkwardly and more like two different sets of characters who just happen to legitimately inhabit the same universe. That gives it a very appealing space opera nature, and for me this benefits Transformers mostly by putting them in context with a wider in-universe setting. That for me was one of the few redeeming features of the last two LL issues as well. I would actually love more of this space opera stuff for Transformers.

In the Revolutionaries issues, as fun as they (sometimes) could be (although much less of late I have to say), the characters are truly interchangeable for me. There are so many characters and he tries to make the action so fast paced that it just becomes a bit of a mish mash as you say. No one has a particularly unique voice, only unique names.

Anyway, this crossover has got me into Rom. The first volume of Rom tailed off towards the end but I have bought the second volume and have a planned custom Rom figure. So well done Milne and Barber for an extremely well blended cross over in this book!

• Like Like x 2