ROM VS TRANSFORMERS SHINING ARMOUR, ISSUE 3

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Sep 27, 2017.

1. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Another great issue. I love the Knights and the Autobots finding common ground and understanding each other. The thoughts about global peace before space exploration are also philosophically very interesting to me.

Stardrive is excellently characterised as a real compassionate Autobot in the purest sense.

I know I shouldn’t laugh but when Starscream tosses the little guy over his shoulder it was both comic and horrific. Dark stuff.

Also heard Ultra Magnus as Ripley with the “get away from her you bug” moment. Looks like this version of UM is going to bite it by the end.

As for Stardrive’s deal, I’d like to think she has something more up her sleeve.

• Like Like x 1
  2. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So glad people are talking about this....oh wait, there not. oh well. At least I had fun working on it :) 

• Like Like x 15
  3. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Well I absolutely love the art and the story. Fantastic work!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geox82

Geox82 Well-Known Member

So here's the thing that struck me today - A flashback story that isn't beholden to a shared universe schedule, an event book, and a standalone issue that involved a gut punch death have been some of the most enjoyable comics in the last year. This is not going to be a rant on the hasbroverse, but what I will say is this: creating monthly books that chronically suffer from production delays have a major breakdown in their quality when they have to wrap up certain narratives within certain time window to make way for an annual event.

If IDW is going to continue down this path of annual event books, they are going to have to step up their game in meeting delivery schedules and break out of the trade friendly six issue arcs into 3 and 4 issue arcs with more standalone books peppered in. Simply put, 6 issue arcs mean that you get 2 complete stories before you are yanked into the next crossover and that simply isn't a good model. Or, they will need to keep on pumping out mini-series like this, that work independently of the shared universe and that can tell their complete story without having to rush up a storyline by August every year.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Terrorcon

I really haven't been warm to all the Hasbro crossover stuff, but this Shining Armour series has won me over. Really solid. And Milne's art works its magic yet again!

6. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Milne's art, fantastic as always.

And that hybrid was so unstable that brunt itself out, damn.

Pretty this Ultra Magnus is going to die now...

7. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think Rom is the only other Hasbro property that IDW’s crossovers have got me really interested in, mostly because of Shining Armour. Anyone read any of the solo Rom comic? Worth picking up?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    ROM is great. Easily the most consistently good of all the Hasbro titles.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Great writing and art as always. Also knew it that Stardrive was a Triple Changer given her name. Though is she technically closer to Tracks and having a flying car mode?

10. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just really hope Stardrive survives this mini-series... but I suspect the prognosis isn't good. Rom surely would have mentioned her by now with his dealings with Prime and the rest. Maybe we can get a toy of her anyway.

But the whole complete misunderstanding of the Cybertronian race because of how space-travel/global unification works is... interesting, because it's a bit off for Cybertronians. They HAD global unification at different points... it just keeps breaking down into chaos.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

This crossover is an absolute delight to read. It's a shame it's only a miniseries.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I've been enjoying the series. Your art is sorely missed on lost light, but I don't think anyone else could have pulled off the biomechanical body horror of cybertronian wraith hybrids the way you have (except maybe H.
    R. Giger, but he's kinda dead now)

This miniseries is probably the best thing to come out of the hasbroverse initiative.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

This mini series is literally the best book being put out at the moment. I hadn't heard if Rom until hasbro got the license, and then IDW released the books, and now this crossover.

The wraiths look awfully familiar - i think i saw the old Rom series occassionally in the local newsagents in the 80's when i was young(er).

The crossover stuff has drawn my attention to Rom and Micronauts, both of which I'm enjoying in their own right - but Shining Armour is something else entirely.

The comments about global goverments, singular united peoples, space exploration have really struck home for me - (we are soooo far from this in real life). This also against the Transformers own divided race really strikes them out as warlike and the whole war as being inherently... tragic, i think thats the best word right now.

AMilne's literally the only person I could see giving this series the visual heft it requires - and bloody hell, that Starscream! Never has he looked better.
    Also, all the details in, and the backgrounds themselves that are obviously logically worked out... these really make the series for me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    So, I read issues 1-3 this week and I love it! I want more. The art is so great, how I missed this art! I love Stardrive. I did not care for ROM, but this is basically a Transformers book and ROM seems kinda interesting, although I wonder if I got that right, that they were encased in metal? How do they eat and poop?

This also has a lotta things I'm missing from the other Transformers books right now. Epic fight scenes.

This book went from meh to instantly my favorite book right now :D  Sorry Lost Light...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Does it also have the same art?

16. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    No, but the regular artist, David Messina, is a great artist in his own right.

17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I’m going to give volume 1 of Rom a shot I reckon.

18. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This has become my favorite book right now.

19. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    You should, its great.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

This is possibly the only worthwile Hasbroverse crossover. It plays on overlapping elements from both franchises. Also, Dire Wraiths and Solstarians are close in power level to Cybertronians so it's not cringeworthy when they fight each nother.

• Like Like x 2