Heavy/Scratch: Rolling Thunder Prime: Combiner

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by blaynescott, Oct 7, 2012.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey everyone,

Here's the work-in-progress shots from my Rolling Thunder Prime combiner. It's been in the works off and on since about this time last year. The early shots were taken in my apartment in Korea (I was teaching there for a few years), but I've finally had the time & materials to get it closer to completion since getting back to Canada.

I'd appreciate some constructive feedback re: paint scheme & sub-bot names.
    If I can crowbar in some lesser known Autobots who happen to be helicopters, or who happen to be tanks, that's be neat. Otherwise, I'll just design my own names to go along with his backstory.

Since I've designed this in stops and starts, some of the figure is painted - some are initial base coats to see where the rub areas are. Some have areas that were finalized/pre-sealant, then I decided to resculpt/tack something else on. Don't be too harsh on the paintjobs at present - they're not done. :) 

Most of the existing paintwork was done with MR. HOBBY lacquer paints, and they hold up amazing well to repeated transformations.

For these WIP shots, some comments:

-The Tanks -
    Both tanks started life as PCC Heavytreads, with all of their PCC pins + joints removed.
    Each have a sturdy, but thin metal piece running through their black 'knee' plastic, and through the filled-in Energon combiner port. The effect is perfectly stable knees for this combiner, and are removable. I didn't in these pictures - it is a hassle to get it back in. :) 
    I left the side-ports flipped down, as I discovered that doing so gives the combined mode/tank lower legs an extra swivel (bot's waist). It really helps with the overall stability of the figure.

I have the combiner 'feet' as recasts of the TFC tank set PCC feet with a trimmed 5mm female port set inside. It works really well. I left it atttached to the modded PCC Heavytreads in some of the shots - if I did something with the bottom, could I leave them on? Or does it just look too goofy with those on the chest in bot mode?

I'd also like to change both of bot mode heads to be completey different, to help differentiate them from each other, and from my (still)PCC Heavytread commander figure (currently commanding the TFC Tank/plane limbs). Suggestions welcome on heads that are the right size that could work. Headcasts of the FansProject jeeps or shuttles maybe?

- The Helicopters -
    Connect to the torso thanks to edwein81's Scramblecore upgrades. I had to superglue the pieces together, but being made form Black Strong Flexible allows them to be popped off the helicopters side-pegs with the aide of a thin butterknife. Using MR. HOBBY lacqure paint + thinner, the paint was absorbed right into the material, and with some excessive sanding, is pretty smooth/durable. I've swapped them on and off half a dozen times with no wear/tear.

Trimmed off the existing copter blades, and created 5mm female pegholes for removable blades found on a PCC figure. Also looking for suggestions for new heads on these figures, although for the amount of time they'd spend out of Vehicle or combined mode, I might just leave them as-is.

- The Dragon Backpack -
    I came across a movie Lazerbeak recently, and with some swapping around, created a cybertronian dragon. :)  Using holes drilled in the toro's forearms + a modded Bruticus combiner neckplate, it connects as a Predaking-esk backpack. :) 

I'm considering using heavily modified Sunspot to create an alternative combiner mode, where the back is actually the chest, and the modded Sunspot becomes a Superion-esk chest shield.

- Rolling Thunder Prime (Headmaster)
    Using a Nemesis Prime Junkion Blacksmith Headmaster, tiny magnet stacks in the torso (beside where the mini-head pops up) / sculpted over - this guy can attach to the combined modes modded Bruticus neckplate. The removable neckplate was acombination of an Energon Bruticus Maximus orange tank foot 5mm peg, a KO WFC oversized Prime's neck, the Bruticus Maximus neckplate, and 2 thin, stacked cylinder magnets.

The headmaster in bot-mode can also ride inside the Dragon/VTOL's 'cockpit' (since the Lazerbeak turkey head is gone) with his legs backwards, or atop the dragon in beast mode.
    I've also noticed he can ride inside the toro/body in vehicle mode, or in a variety of other fun places in different modes. I'm really not a fan of Junkeon Blacksmith headmasters derpy looking 'vehicle' modes, so I stick to headmaster or bot modes.

- Rolling Thunder Prime (Torso/Primary Bot/Vehicle mode)
    Made from an Energon Barricade, modified chestplate from a HFTD Hailstorm, head from a KO Nemesis Prime, smokestack/forearm guns from an unknown TF (possibly G1?), and a rectangular neonium magnet in his pelvis.

In vehicle mode, I used a an ammo box as a storage container for the forearms/hands/any parts-forming aspects while they're in vehicle or individual bot mode. The container its self came from a Korean model kit, of which I bought two. They're great little containers for guns/swords, etc. - I just wish I'd bought more. :) 

Something I need to figure out is a way to conceal the bot-mode head in vehicle mode. The only solution I can think of is something that pegs into the fists, to occupy that spaces on either side of the head.

- Rolling Tunder Prime (Combined Mode)

I'm happy with how it all came together, including it's survival of a vigerous 'shake' test.
    A DOTM HA Thunderhead piece (heavily resulpted + magnets) became the removable pelvis armor for the combined mode. The fists came from a Junkeon Blacksmith Infinity War set (which was intended as an upgrade for Predaking, I believe). I cut off the male pegs, and carefully drilled a female 5mm port where it was - allowing it to peg in like the Bruticus hands to Edwein81's awesome Shapeways forearms.
    The knuckle-dusters came from the PCC Heavytreads minicons - I'd just amputated their legs. I'll be repainting them in metallics, to get rid of the translucent blue.
    All other visible guns/bits came from the Junkion Blacksmith Infinity War I set (red ver.)

Also, if I can figure out a suitable way of attaching it, I'll also add the HFTD Hailstorm's Missile rack as an optional wrist-weapon in combined mode / potentially as a replacment for one of the tank's turrets. :) 

That's all I can think of for now. Questions/comments/suggestions welcome.

Attached Files:

2. blaynescott

Ebay:
    [Reserved post for Finished Figure Photos]

Update: Thanks for the comments everyone. :)  Still interested in everyone's opinions re: colorscheme/naming. Compliments (or constructive critque) are welcome too. :) 

I was browsing some GI Joe-themed sites today (for a non-GI Joe zombie apocalypse project), and came across these neat Crossover stickers:

Crossovers : Cobra Stickers, Replacement and restoration stickers for classic G.I. Joe vehicles.

I was just going to use the clear/silver Autobot Logos, or maybe the solid silver ones on the team members. The 'Rolling Thunder' is a GI Joe vehicle (which was part of a failed pitch for a version of the Joe/TF comics) - so what do people think about either Type 1 or Type 2 Autobot/GiJoe Strips stickers on something like this? Would it work, or clash horribly?

Attached Files:

3. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

This is perhaps the best Optimus Prime concept I've ever seen. The combiner angle helps match the original scale of the Rolling Thunder and it's considerably appropriate.

4. kregon

kregon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is awesome, I love it!

5. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Very interesting!

I can also see this concept working as an RID destronger type unit.

6. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    Love it!

7. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Wow that's awesome

8. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    This looks awesome dude. As for lesser know autobot tanks and choppers? One could always toss some Micromaster names onto them.......*looks up in tf wiki* Big Shot and Sidetrack for the tanks. Blazemaster for....one chopper. Apparently he was the only autobot micromaster chopper. Odd

9. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey dude, you in markham toronto ? we've never met before, but you seem very familiar.....

10. blaynescott

Ebay:
    I visit Toronto pretty often, and attend Wizard World, FanExpo, and many of the smaller Toy Conventions in Burelington & Richmond Hill. Perhaps we've met there?

11. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hah... now this is a clever combiner set.

Dig how the JB headmaster Prime is used as the driver and combiner head.

12. uchihabro77

uchihabro77 Energon Warrior 3 Red

this looks nice man good job

13. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

Love the "strike team" aspect of this. Then when it hits the fan, they have the combined mode to fall back on. Nice work, this is really neat!!

14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :rock 

15. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

Really nice! if I had one crit it would be that the dragon breaks the theme. If there was some way to make it into a jet though,,,

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I'm kinda getting a gi joe feel from it . For names maybe you want to mix some gi joes names with some transformers names ? I like what you got going on here .

17. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Agreed. I think I'll use a TF Scout SunSpot, repainted in either silver/gunmetal or green camo -- or some combination of the two. :) 

Attached Files:

18. NemesisCustoms

NemesisCustoms Well-Known Member

Awesome job!

19. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is great! I love it.

20. MisterGuyMan

MisterGuyMan Well-Known Member

I love it. I'm salvating at how cool it would look in digital camo. A GI Joe Prime in gray digital camouflage is like my dream. Great Job.