Role reversal? Lennox and Epps

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by rook, Aug 1, 2011.

1. rook

rook Well-Known Member

A thought came to mind revisiting the first movie and realizing Lennox has a wife and daughter. He has more than enough reason to have retired from operations.

And yet Epps is the one to do it? Why? He seemed pretty gun-ho in the first movie. He even states in the second movie that the Nest team and Autobots shared blood, sweat and metal together.

2. Militant

Militant Police

I think Epps got some serious PTSD from fighting alien robots for that long, so he opted out. But yea it doesn't make much sense. I sort of wish Lennox had some character development, he was one-dimensional throughout the whole trilogy.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think Lennox's development was more towards becoming stronger and more efficient with each movie that passes, he is slowly turning into the human's Optimus Prime.

Let's see, on the first movie:

- Lennox was pretty much a common-day human soldier that lived on Qatar, he was no different than most of his crewmates.
    As the movie progresses, he is forced to take charge of the situation ["I'll count to three..."], and proves to be quite a competent guy but still doesn't know that well that the hell he is doing.

On ROTF:

- He was proggressing, was still learning how to deal with GIANT FREAKING ROBOTS, had some gists but still was unprepared to fight against REAL Decepticons and things like that, but he was learning.
    He's also very "Right-hand-man" here [to General Morshower and Optimus], not a leader, he only takes the charge when he is forced to [I.e Galloway's douchebaggery].

On DOTM:

- God. Damn., this guy single-handedly planned the whole human strike on Chicago [using those goddamn flysuits!] and served as supreme commander of all human cooperations, for fuck's sake, Morshower [y'know, the guy that was ordering Lennox around in ROTF] was serving as HIS right-hand man, and he wasn't scared of the Decepticons, he actually wasn't giving a flying duck to whether they were big, small or FUCKING SHOCKWAVE, he'd just leap in them and fire until they are a pile of cranked metal alongside his pals, without a single grain of fear, even killing Barricade in the process.

I'd say that Lennox had the same development Simmons and Sam had: They started as more-or-less normal guys and ended up as humanity's best weapons. Bizarrely.

Meanwhile, Epps had that PSD shit raining all over his bald head.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Epps has a wife, too. And he has more kids than Lennox does. If anything, he has greater reason to opt out. Perhaps something happened that reminded him about how much he had to lose.

5. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Leader of the Lost

News Credits:
    Totes not in South Bay, CA. Go away, NSA.
    Where does it say epps had lots of "fun" times?

6. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Epps was a wuss...retire? I would rather work the rest of my life with alien mechanical beings than having a common life.

7. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

Hehe Due to me having mental disability they wouldn't let me in the military branches but I'd pay them to let me come in and wax and wash the Autobots alt modes after missions. Even though that sounds totally wrong I mean it in the most not wrong way.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Take a step back, and contemplate the risks involved, which are very significant. Or maybe you just have not much at stake; not much to lose. Not everyone is as lucky.

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Epps didn't exactly retire. Sure, he's not on the front lines fighting Decepticons, but he was still working with the Wreckers at the Xantium, remember?

The reasons for retirement are the same as any soldier who retired from the army. Too much risk to his life and his family. He has a wife and about five kids. If he wasn't in NEST and had all that insurance and pay, tell me, where would they be after he died, if he was killed by a Decepticon he fought? The Decepticons are far more dangerous then a soldier going to the Middle East for terrorists. Demolishor nearly wiped out the assembled NEST humans in ROTF. Sentinel's Decepticons killed most of Chicago itself in DOTM. He had too much at stake to lose if he died. And what's more, in Rising Storm, pretty much the entire NEST base in Diego Garcia was massacured, Autobot and human. No doubt he had some PTSD after losing an entire base of comrades and friends.

Long story short, he had a family of six back home, and he was really walking on eggshells battling Decepticons. So he retired to work with the Wreckers at the Xantium.