Minor/Repaint: ROFT Ldr Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by altezen, Jul 15, 2009.

1. altezen

altezen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Another ROTF Leader Optimus Prime posted, but my first attempt at a Leader Class Optimus Prime. It has been longest and most challenging project to date in this project. It not 100% completed, but I thought I could show some progress shots of what I completed.

Many first for me in this project like.
    First time removing pins and I would like to thx F_R for his advise on removing pins (which was a real pain), without which it would have been very difficult and a greater pain to repaint the red and blue portions.

First time attempting to painting flames and the pin-strips. Added some additional flame details on the chest and waist area, which was present on the concept art.

First time messing around with LEDs. Change the eyes to blue (no big deal coz everyone before has already done it. lol) and still figuring out the best way to light up the energon swords (Thank goodness for all the great examples by F_R and encline to name a few).

Now to the pictures and mods.

[​IMG]

Mods done:
    1. Modded the hands to be accurate and articulated.
    2. Added some detail to the shoulder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Added convex lens to simulate the headlights at the waist area.

[​IMG]

4. Replace the original rivets.
    5. Replace the smoke-stack with aluminium rods.

[​IMG]

Replaced the back lights with red convex lens. (Not too clear from the picture)

[​IMG]

Still much to explore and to also "power up" the energon swords. Feel free to suggest and comment. Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    wow! that is awesome! i like your style bro!

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    That's really great ! I'm becoming a big fan of your style!:thumbs2: 

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    It's amazing how you can paint so much detail and still have it look so clean especially in alt mode. :)  I love the hands that you used - where are they from? Also like the pieces you added to the lights on his torso area. I'll borrow the idea and do something like that if you don't mind.

Just a suggestion - you might wanna thin out the pinstripes on the hood by redoing the blue flames on the inside of the pinstripes. The pinstripes on top of the cab are nice and thin but those on the hood are just a little too thick.

5. Transfan76

Transfan76 Autobot

I picked up some testors dark red enamel at my craft store and was wondering if it would look right on this figure . would it look right ?

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is great work. I really like this. The colors look awesome. The alt mode is super good. Easily one of my favorite ROTF Prime repaints to date.

It's about a half step away from being off the charts great.

The truck mode is missing some little chrome detailing on the blue part of the cab and the little blue lights aren't painted. And as mentioned before, the flames need a little cleaning up. I know you said it isn't 100% finished, so I hope to see more of this great custom.

But make no mistake, this is a beautiful paint job!

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice touches to the wrists and air filters. You got those extra little details that I haven't seen in a custom yet. Nice job. I was trying to think of how the underside of those cans should look. What did you fill them with by chance? man, I hope my prime comes out this good.

8. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I've found that Mr. Hobby Red Madder is an almost dead on match to the red they used. I hope that will help.

9. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel inadequate and overwhelmed.

Seriously, best and NEATEST ROTF repaint I have seen.

10. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    WOW!!! thats really awesome. Now do a G1 color.

11. amir_anti_yosi

amir_anti_yosi Well-Known Member

Oh my god, that is such an awesome paint job, Its very different from the metalic finish of your megatron which also rocks the house but I'm salivating over the 'plastic' finish of your prime, makes it look so much like a toy, especially on the arms right there.

the 2nd picture really rocks my world, If I end up having so much money I'm gonna repaint ROTF primes till I get something as beautiful as this of F_r's

damn, great job! I love the finish

12. hunterelf

hunterelf Decepticon

how did u make your truck mode so shinning and clean ..??
    after repainting, the blue bits are a bit dirty for mine, can u give me any tips ?

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Wow, you are the first one who absolutely NAILED the blue that Prime has in the movies! The rest is done fantastically as well, but for some reason that was the first thing that jumped out at me. :lol  The silver bits of the vehicle mode are a bit too dark though, but that's the only point of critism I can think of right now. Fantastic job!

14. dremel

dremel ___________

I love this prime. You nailed the colors perfect. The quality of your paints are amazing. That shot of the arm makes the red seem so smooth. My only crit is that the pinstripes are a little too thick. Everything looks so clean and smooth, and then you have the thick pinstripes and it kind of takes away from the rest. Awesome job again though.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I had my Optimus and Megatron still in the package and finally opened them last night. HOLY CRAP! I already respect all of you guys that customized Prime but damn! My respect for all of you went up a million times. Yours kicks ass!

16. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

OMG, that IS the real Optimus Prime! Great paint job man! BTW, do you still sell those hands? PM me if you do, thanks!

Onto my inputs (ignore them, it's just me ranting anyways):
    1. the panels on his abdomen area should be pure blue, no red flames. Those flames just exist on the concept arts, but not on the final CG Optimus.
    2. the tiny lights on his shoulder should be in silver with blue tip to simulate the lights. (those 7 cylindrical things on his shoulder). The part right under them should be red to make the flames on this shoulder blend with the red from his front windshield.
    3. That thingy on this shoulders, I don't know what they're called. It's silverish on the original colors. They have a small panel that's sculpted to them but still visible, they're supposed to be blue.
    4. There are other minor details that are not worthy to mention. Overall, great job man!

EDIT: here's a quick photoshop of what I meant

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

wow, that's some SMOOTH painting man. i love everthing you did to him. amazing job

18. Optronix_prime

Optronix_prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The best Prime yet

Hands down.

The only problem I have is the waist pieces how you put some flames on there, It should just be blue.

Besides that it's perfect.

19. hunterelf

hunterelf Decepticon

the hands !!!!
    I WANT THEM !!

20. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

WIN! :thumb