Heavy/Scratch: Rodimus Prime [WIP]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Jan 10, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Screw Protector......meet Destroyer! lol

So I debated coughing up the $80+ for Protector since I REALLY like the hell out of it. BUT, I've also had this idea in the works (in my head anyway) for over a year. The moment we first saw the sneak peek at Protector long ago, I had the idea to try and create my own Hot Rod armor, at least for the bot mode first. I had an extra Cybertron Hot Shot, which we all know was painted up in that Hot Rod style later in the line. So I decided to work on making some cool armor for my Classics Hot Rod. I can't stand the fact that he's so short compared to Optimus Prime. Anyway, here are some early WIP shots on it. I got the legs all cut up and have the grooves done so that Hot Rod's legs slip right in. They don't snap or stay in on their own just yet (still working on it all.

Parts of this will be the Cybertron Hot Shot (red) mold, while parts will be scratchbuilt from styrene. I wanted to do something cool and similar to what Protector is for ol' Roddy....kick ass armor that upgrades his height and bulk. Unless plans change, the waist piece from Cybertron Hot Shot will be cut to slip over Hot Rod's waist area and fit snug. The chest piece from Hot Shot will be modded to fit over Hot Rod's chest. The arms I won't decide on until I get to that area. They almost fit in with the overall proportions with the leg armor, BUT I want larger hands, so I may build some forearms/gauntlets that fit on over Roddy's forearms and add a bit of length and bulk. As for the head, I'm looking at ways to incorporate the Energon Rodimus head with this (which means I may be scrapping my old WFC Hot Rod custom--but I'm not sure just yet). Either that or I'll build another or add on to the existing head and cut some grooves to allow the larger noggin (Hot Rod's head is pretty thin and small).

I'm also planning to build a larger spoiler/wing to fit onto the Hot Rod spoiler--so that it sticks up and shows more with the armor and build I'm going for. Anyway, enough yapping--just wanted to shoot some details on it. Enjoy and feel free to shoot some ideas or tips here. And before anyone asks, I'm also planning to build a Rodimus Prime trailer....it just may be a while before I get that far into it all. For now, I'm simply going for some armor so he can stand up to Prime's height and look killer on the shelf. It's still rough where I cut, but it will be sanded and filled with either sculpting putty or covered in thin sheet styrene (I'll also build parts to cover the points of attachment so that it blends in better).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    This could be cool imma keep an eye on this.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I like where you're going with this. I agree with you about how piddlingly tiny Rodimus is; while I've got the Classics version, I actually use a slightly modified Excellion (the red Hot Shot) as my Hot Rod, as he actually stands up much more levelly with the Universe guys. I actually started work on armour to turn him into Rodimus Prime (I recall using quite a few bits from Alt Sideswipe and a modded Alt Dead End head), but never quite figured out how I'd form it as a truck add-on, which I really wanted.

So yeah, I completely applaud this, and look forward to seeing how you make it work. :)