Rodimus Prime question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Which version of Rodimus had the rubber tires and metal toes? Was it the original or the re-issue? I have seen people on ebay selling the re-issue as the rubber wheels metal toe version. But then I also see sellers selling the original (clearly stated not a re-issue) as the rubber wheel/metal toes version. So which one is it?! :confused: 

2. coffeeg0dd

coffeeg0dd Lurker

Both. Basically , like many of the season 3/movie toys ,Rodimus originally had a version with metal and rubber and an all plastic version. The reissues all had metal and rubber. SO essentially Rodimus's with rubber tires and metal toes can be originals or reissues but the ones with plastic toes and plastic wheels can only be originals

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The original came out with a couple variants. Early releases had metal toes and rubber tires, later releases swapped those out for plastic. The original Hot Rod went through a similar change, although in Hot Rod's case I know for a fact that there was also a plastic toes and rubber tires version (that's the one I had as a kid).

For the reissues, Hasbro and Takara went back to the original die cast and rubber version.

4. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ah ok, thanks!

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Yup. Same thing can be said for Metroplex (rubber vs plastic wheels), Kup (metal vs. plastic wheels) and Ultra Magnus (rubber vs. plastic wheels, painted vs. unpainted face).

Oh, the Aerialbots also had variants. Individually carded figures had metal chests and the giftset figures were all plastic.

Looks like Hasbro started cutting on diecast and rubber wheels with post-movie toys and then it was all-plastic from season 3 up until now.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

What they said! Also you can tell if it is a reissue by the flame stickers. The vintage ones are more dull where the reissues are more metallic.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    On Ultra Magnus, the cab robot has a lot less paint on the plastic one. The whole thing is unpainted, and there is no plastic in the cab window. That one was available in Europe I think - that's the one my brother got anyhow.
    To my knowledge, though, all Hot Rods had rubber tires - my Targetmaster one does.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

You can't really tell a reissue or original's from looking at an online picture though.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The stunticons, protectobots, combaticons and springer also had metal chest variants. The Predacons also had variants with metal... I just don't remember which parts were metal.

I think a most of the metal/plastic variants started during 1986. If it was the first year a toy was released Hasbro would use metal and rubber. If the toy was released for a second or third year, it would become all plastic.

Sol_Fury - I need to check mine tonight but I believe my G1 hot rod (non targetmaster) is all plastic.

As for as ultra magnus, Your right the unpainted version was available in Europe/UK (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=C0306P0035&mode=vintage ). The one I had as a kid, I bought at KB toys and it was all plastic with the unpainted face. I believe this is how the US variants of UM break down:

KB toys - unpainted face, all plastic
    Movie poster version - unpainted face, all plastic
    Regular release - Painted face and metal parts

10. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    While we have this thread going, I've got a question about Rodimus Prime. I remember there being something about a misassembled part on Hasbro's reissue. I think it was part of his torso.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but everyone was talking about it a LONG time before I got my Roddy, and that was a few months ago (this isn't something I think about much).

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The yellow part in the middle of his torso that connects his waist to his chest is on backwards on most Hasbro reissues. The fix is easy, but has to be done before putting the stickers on. Basically you just unscrew the waist plate and any other parts necessary, reverse the piece, then reassemble. It's a very minor problem, and if you don't fix it it really doesn't affect the figure much. Personally, I didn't find out about the problem until after I got and stickered my reissue Roddy, so I have that piece in backwards and can't fix it without losing the decal. Still, it doesn't create any problems, so I don't really care.

12. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Is this the same for Takara reissues as well?

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I bought the Takara reissue long before the US reissue came out. When this problem first surfaced, I checked my Takara one and it was fine.