Robots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Skepticon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Skepticon

Skepticon Banned

Hi. I think i have come up with another pseudo-deep analysis of the Transformers universe...i know it may sound geeky...but, its something i have always thought about them.

I just feel it funny when people call them "robots"...Well, i mean...to me, they arent robots. They are an alien, metallic organisms...to our collective consciousness they seem like robots, but they dont truly fit in the definition of the word. Robots are defined as a virtual agent or mechanical agent of artificial manufacture.

First, theyre truly alive...robots arent...you could kick a robot in his balls and he wouldnt care even if it was Superman who kicked him.

Transformers have the ability to speak, feel and think...theyre just like humans...but in metallic bodies...they even have something similar to a soul...the power of the AllSpark in them.

They also are born (the hatchlings), they grow, they mature, they seem to reproduce passing on their genes, and they die. Thats the biological cycle.

So even they really seem like robots, and have abilities that are virtually exclusive to machines...i cant think of them exactly like robots, i know its hard to get my idea, but its what i feel. I think its just because we tend to call anything that remotely resembles a metallic automaton a robot. Da Vinci once created a mechanical wooden lion to present to some rich guy...and while it moved and had gears and stuff inside...i would think of it more like it is a machine or toy designed to fulfill a specific task. not a robot.

To me, Transformers arent robots, just alien organisms different from the traditional organic archetype. Theyre organic to some extent, but not flesh. Theyre in my opinion mechanical organisms. The call themselves robotic in the first movie (which is plain stupid as the word is clearly originated in Earth, but i guess it was just Optimus' translation of a reasonable cybertronian facsimile or equivalent...mechanical would be more adequate), but even that doesnt convince me theyre robots...because theyre not dumb machines without a soul or will.

Well, i know its just geeky stuff and may seem stupid. I always debate this with my brother and he says i am crazy xD....but i think at least it gives us something to talk about.

What do you think?

2. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    "Transformers, ROBOTS in disguise"

But yeah, in the films they are robotic organisms. I believe Optimus mentions this when he meets Sam in the alleyway in first film.

3. Sprungprime

Sprungprime Member

I get what ur sayin

4. billysan

billysan Member

Because Robots more accurately describe them most people instantly picture monsters/men from space when saying Aliens.

Superman is an Alien but people call him a super hero.

5. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

So the theme would be

Transformers, Alien Organisims Different from the Traditional Organic Archetype, in disguise.

It just dosent sound right.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A sentient robot is still a robot to me. Although a Cybertronian probably would not refer to himself/herself as one.

7. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    If I remember correctly, Optimus said 'We are autonomous robotic organisms from the planet Cybertron.' Dig?

I understand perfectly what you're saying. The robots we design are things that cannot think for themselves. The Transformers are alive, they have a soul, and they have things that are similiar to that of what all living things have. They have a culture, they drink (consuming Energon like we drink liquids), they think, have feelings, and practically breathe at some points.

I don't like to think of them as just robots. To me, they're more alive than we could have ever imagined. I don't think it's even possible that our robots would develop a soul like the Transformers do.

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    To be fair, he's both.

The difference though, robots can not reproduce anything naturally. For them, it'd be bullets, healing, and the various liquids. Robots need a foreign source. Them Transformers are not just sentient, but organic.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The Transformers fit these criteria, don't they?

10. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

Autonomous Robotic Organisms.

11. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

Geeky stuff ain't stupid! It's awesome! ^^

Anywho, I get what you're saying, and I can't help but agree. As far as TFs go I honestly have never thought of them as robots through and through. Never can seem to bring myself to either.

Quoting another...

'Tis rather interesting, and certainly something to think about.

12. GuyverDarkHero

GuyverDarkHero Active Member

Or Autobots for short :thumbs2: 

13. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Not really. Protoforms, Spark splitting, Budding. They got their ways.

And while I agree with a lot of your ideas, OP, I have to say they're still robots. Just unlike anything we'd call a robot here on Earth. They're evolved, advanced beyond our comprehension of what life as we know it would be. Robots, but unlike the simplistic devices we'd give such a label to.

14. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

this
    It's kind of unfair to compare our "stupid" modern day robots with what are essentially fantasy constructs with hard AI. At the rate our technology is going we could be looking at "Transformers" in about sixty(long shot) years from now.
    We could have robots that are so far advanced we as humans have to take a good long look at what we define as being "alive".

15. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Let's make a couple lists, shall we?

Robotic aspects:

Ability to turn into other machines.
    Completely mechanical. (not biomechanical like a cyborg)
    Ability to create metallic objects from their own essence.
    Computer based internal parts (may or may not be similar to Earth computer's construction)
    They require outside sources to "procreate". More like cloning.

Organic apsects:
    Self healing.
    Consuming energy. (Energon= main "food" source)
    Ability to learn. Basically, the robot programs itself.
    Evolution. They learn how to build better and more efficient robots over time.

Fell free to add more. I'm a bit tired and can't think of many :p 

16. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Yet those can be mechanical/robotic as well. Self repair mechanisms & nano-tech healing are technological, all machines consume energy, AI learns and has potential self awareness, and due to such analytical qualities 'building a better machine' isn't a stretch by any means.