Robots in Disguise: What Are Your Thoughts Now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

While I would be nothing less than excited to hear of a fourth season to RID being in production, it's really seeming like this current season could be the last. The Gumball people are making their own all new TF cartoon in addition to a Rescue Bots sequel. I guess if Rescue Bots is continuing it would make sense for it to continue to tie into a sequel/spinoff to RID to complete another trilogy but there's no certainty there.

I'm actually gonna be sad to see it go.

I was a fairly early supporter of RID after it premiered in 2015, but I still had my own private reservations.

But I've really come around to the show since then.

The large and diverse cast of villains from wacky to serious to ancient evil to returning Prime Decepticons, with the Bee Team being the only thing standing between them and humanity, and perhaps the galaxy, is something I've actually come to enjoy. Having these new villains between seasons gives a better sense of time passing by as the Bee Team grows together and as individuals.

For me, that's where the real heart of this show lies: The Bee Team.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Bee Team come together through dumb luck and all work through all these nuanced little kinks in their teamwork across episodes and just naturally develop into this seasoned, highly-skilled team of friends. It feels very human, especially with Denny's and Russel's roles in the show. Almost like a family, in Bumblebee's own words. RID arguably does the "we're a family" vibe better than Prime because instead of just making sure to remind the audience by making sure to mention it they just kinda be one.

One of the best teams of protagonists in the franchise. I'd place them 3rd behind the Beast Wars/Machines cast and the Animated cast.

That's no nonsense.

But at the same time this is still just a fun, light-hearted, early Saturday morning cartoon.

I love that this cartoon is chock full of geeky robot shit for me but it's also just an earnestly well made and fun to watch with all the children in my very large family.

Hasbro's public statements reflect that despite the originally small scope of the cartoon and toyline that both outperformed expectations, and that might be what I owe my gratitude for my large RID display taking up three whole shelves in my toy display. Hoping it's four soon!

I really hope Shout! has the goodwill to release a full series DVD or BluRay set. I'd need it medically.

I might be one of the more extreme cases, but I don't think I'm alone at all in my enjoyment of the show.

I'm not saying it's perfect. It's repetitive at times, some episodes are better than others, but the production quality is high and quite frankly this is just the most "normal cartoon" Transformers show to come out thus far.

Plus as a Unicron Trilogy kid I love the abundance of Minicons and new inclusion of "double deckers"

So that's my ramble.

I'd really love to hear everyone's own thoughts looking back now that the end is nigh on Robots in Disguise.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

The new cartoon begins in late 2019, so i could see RID lasting another year

as for my thoughts. This has been one of the best TF shows ever. Great characters, fun unique story, great filler, great comedy, wonderful action and the most unique setup of a TF show yet. The cop show motif is great, humans are great, continuation with Prime is great, and the Saturday morning cartoon feel is great, Fun toyline with great engineering.

i'm probably in a minority but i have a feeling this sahow ending will make me a grown man cry. i won't be able to let it go.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

When I like a show I want to see it end. As long as it gets a good conclusion I donĀ“t mind.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

When I like a series, it's ending is something I dread.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally went from being skeptical when they announced the show with the simplified 3D animation from Transformers Prime and the even more simplified character designs to becoming a fan of the show during the first season to now disliking it since midway through season 2.

This show just didn't grow with the amount of episodes and seasons it has. If I were to play an episode from the first season and an episode from the current season side by side it wouldn't seem like anything has really changed in the story. All the Autobots get a few episodes here or there for character development only for it to be forgotten so we can go through it all over again in another episode. Its always the same character development, Sideswipe trying to be a team player, Grimlock trying to not be an inconvenience/klutz to the team, Strongarm trying to take down a Decepticon without sticking to rules and regulations and Bumblebee trying to fill into Optimus' shoes as the leader. And then you get some episodes that contradict those character developments like Bumblebee in one episode wanting to be leader and have his authority treated with respect and the next moment wanting to be one of the "cool, hip guys". Sideswipe really going out of his way to not be a team player to take down a Decepticon when we just had an episode where he learned he needed to be more of a team player...

I just feel like, when you compare the show with where Animated, Beast Wars and Prime were by the third season mark, Transformers Robots in Disguise failed to really develop and build on the characters, give us a proper growing team and expanding team and with consistent and growing threat. I don't think the show is terrible but it's wasted a lot of opportunities.

• Like Like x 2
  6. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

i was excited when they announced rid
    i was happy prime well get a sequel
    the first 2 episodes were great! i though to myself "the show is really good" but then the rest of the season aired
    the "story" is about a team of rodimus rip off.a jackass.a fembot that doesn't look like a girl.a dumbass. and a Minicon that can't say a single word without repeating it
    speaking of repeating. the show keep repeating itself over and over again
    like they ran out of ideas
    the so called "decepticon" are a bunch of bad guys who know Nothing about the decepticon cause
    not to mention the TERRIBLE animation

tl;dr : the show isn't as bad energon or combiner wars it's something like cybertron beast machine
    so far the show is 10/6.5
    could've been MUCH better

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

Oh come on. Doesn't look like a girl? What precisely about Strongarm is not acceptable for the design of a female character?
    I mean, she's not even that atypical for a female transformer. She has eyelashes and like pretty much every other female transformer, lipstick.
    Another convention that needs to go out the window like high heels did. Because of course, women are defined by wearing lipstick, heels and having distinctive lashes. That stupid enough in and of itself, but it's even weirder when applied to a race of alien robots.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Predakingsley

Predakingsley "Round up the usual suspects."

At first when I heard about this in 2014, I was initially interested. Soon as I saw the actual series, I really, really hated it. From dumb, annoying stereotypes to terrible writing, character designs and animation. I guess the actors would've had a lot of fun (either that or were desperate for pay) but man, those VOs suck and the music is just awful (least Animated and Beast Machines had more emotional depth to their scores).

They could've told us why Bumblebee's vehicle mode is now a Griffin Motors 1995 Windblazer than the Urbana 500 in Prime. Yes, nuRiD and Prime are set in the same timeline as Rescue Bots, but it doesn't change the fact that after Predacons Rising, Bumblebee still looks exactly the same in RB S4 as he did the first 3 seasons, even the same v-mode. The same applies to Optimus in RB. Plus is it a good idea bringing a Dinobot along on a mission, especially if he is seen in public? This is basically Animated and Prime's worst elements mixed into what I call stupid and boring for the modern kid audience (no offence to those who have kids, my apologies). Personally, I find it worse than the Unicron Trilogy, much worse.

In other words, I hate it overall.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I'm holding out hope for a g1 reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm ok with the show, I wish there could be changes in the personalities of some characters but overall its not a bad show.

11. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    I do enjoy Robots in Disguise, too. It reminds me a lot of the previous Robots in Disguise :p 

I like shows that are character-driven and focus more on character personalities and their relationships with each other. I love when characters interact with each other, especially when it's both verbally and nonverbally. It was something I was missing in Prime (which was more of a plot-/story-driven show).

There are a lot of things that RiD does that make me as a Transformer fan happy :D 

- The variety of character designs raging from small to big, bipedal, quadruped with various vehicle and beast modes.

- I love the concept of a Transformer having a beast mode and a vehicle mode (without robot mode), usually it's robot-vehicle or robot-beast transformations.

- The villains are unique and memorable, I really like how some of them are reoccurring characters. I cheered for that Chop Shop component and his attempts to free his brethren all the way. Springload's quest for The Lost City of Dorados was also entertaining, especially when the subject finally came up in the form of the Sphere of Influence and he did appear.

- I like how they are using the robots in disguise aspect in the show and how the vehicle modes are extension of a Transformer and not only the means to get from one point to another. And let's not forget the car chases in the streets or how there are actually people present, when the action happens.

On the downside, the show could have spent a bit more time on Decepticon teams. Steeljaw and his pack were interesting characters with in-group conflicts that I wished would be explored more. Same with the Decepticon Island, I was hoping for so much more! Sabrehorn, Scorponock and Glowstrike seemed so interesting :(  RiD also makes the same mistake that Beast Wars did: it's hinting at a wider world with its own political system and history, but we never see it. Watching Beast Wars you could also tell that there was a much bigger picture to the conflict, but it was never shown.

I also find the toys enjoyable :) 

• Like Like x 2