Robots In Disguise - Spychangers to the Rescue

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Repainted, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

Didn't really know of where I could post this RARE video of mine seeing as it wasn't even allowed in the videos section (by their guidelines). So I thought I'd take my chances here. This is from the Robots in Disguise series that was released, mostly, in the U.K. I say mostly because this is the pre-9/11 version of "Spychangers to the Rescue." This has the original dialogue referencing the risks of the generator "exploding" instead of "circuit corrosion" throughout and the one and only appearance of Prowl's "Launching Jetclaw Attack." After 9/11 the episode was re-edited into the one found on the U.K. DVD set and the original cut only aired 2 or 3 times before the redo. I thought it was worth posting because unlike other retakes of other TF episodes, this is not a single added line of a Narrator (Victor Caroli promoting the G1 Season 3 finale through a revised "Dark Awakening: episode) or a redone title card (Ex: G1 & Energon had a few of these). This has a number of differences to be the 40th episode.

Sorry about the quality in some places as I don't know how to encode like the pros and accidentally put it for wide screen (thus explaining why the screen may seem shrunk). Also, the original VHS source is about a decade old.

EDIT: With MegaUpload long gone, decided to try the YouTube route.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    VERY nice! Thanks a lot for this!

3. Repainted

You're welcome, Chris

4. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Thanks, Repainted. RiD was one of my favorites.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Was this the episode that had a building being taken down that was edited because of 9/11? I heard one was changed drastically from it's Japanese counterpart.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Very nice, and one of my favorite RiD eps!

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    The first episode had a shot of Megatron crashing into a building in his giant hand form, and that had to be cut from later broadcasts. Also, Sky Byte Saves The Day wasn't even shown, I don't think.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got the run of RID I taped from telly way back. I'll have to download this and compare to see if I've got the edited version on tape or not.
    Regardless, one of those interesting things where a real-world event changed something in Transformers possibly forever more.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, that's two different episodes you're thinking of there - the first episode is the one with the building being destroyed, which aired before 9/11 and just simply wasn't re-aired for a while after. The one that's changed extensively is the sixth episode, "The Secret of the Ruins", which was dubbed, but then pulled before it got a chance to air and redubbed and re-edited. This one was re-edited a bit, but not nearly as extensively. That wiki article I've linked will give you an idea - Here's the article for the episode this thread is about.

10. Repainted

This is the only one that had any change. The first 2 episodes "Battle Protocol" & "An Explosive Situation" did not air again many months after the events of 9/11. I recorded at least Battle Protocol when it did re-air but could see no immediate differences. But, yes, during RiD's run in the U.S. they were very obscure.