Robots in Disguise #7 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maverick Hunter Christian, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    JAZZ AND SKY-BYTE HAVE A POETRY SLAM! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

...and, that's about the only real highlight.

Wheeljack embarks on a sneaking mission, and I get that he's the only one with the technological expertise to know what he's looking for and that from a writing perspective, you want to focus on your core group of characters...

But honestly, where the hell is Mirage? We know he's there, we saw him in the crowd in issue #1. Dude can turn invisible/mask himself to look like other people ...why not send him on the stealth mission and have him beam back video to Wheeljack?

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i did a triple take at Jazz and Sky-Byte, pretty damn hilarious. as for why WJ, he needed to see it with his own eyes. when a ship shows up with a device that seems to alter perception, you can't trust a screen.

Time machine
    is interesting, I wonder if it somehow connects to
    the Time Travel Message

3. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Really enjoyed the issue, though it felt more like a "Spotlight: Wheeljack" the sequel...
    was somewhat surprised, yet relieved to see WJ still kickin' after taking a direct shot from Turmoil.
    And I also had to do a double take when I saw Jazz and Sky-byte performing :lol  People may warm up to Metalhawk a bit more after this issue.

As for the time machine discovery, I wonder if it does tie into MTMTE.Not sure if I remember Roberts or Barber mentioning in an interview that the ongoings may crossover later.The aliens that worked on it, have we seen them from a previous spotlight?

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I think the aliens are the same species as Wheelie's buddy from his Spotlight, the ones that speak in rhyme.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This still isn't up on comixology :( 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Wondering if it's worth getting to see Sky-Byte not really act like Sky-Byte.

Wondering...

7. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sky-Byte's only in for 1 panel. Don't get it just to bitch about it.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Wow, you love jumping to conclusions.

I like IDW Sky-Byte. He's just not RID Sky-Byte, but he's not bad. I was just wondering if it's worth getting if I only read it for him.

9. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  10. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. Cool, nice little nod.

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Solid issue.
    The plot was a bit thin on what the impact of a time machine would mean to this group. Timely with the announcement of the Higg's Boson discovery - a great effort at a sci-fi element.
    Bumblebee's comment that there wasn't time for science irked me. This short sighted reactionary characterization is not Bee who should be very intelligent and be planning every step.
    Skybyte was awesome.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The thing is Bumblebee isn't exactly reknowned for being a planner or for being very intelligent. He's a regular guy thrusted into a leadership role that wasn't meant for him. I'm just wondering why he's still in any sort of leadership position aside from Costa's poor storyline that made him leader.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I see him as a master spy.
    He fits in with the Autobot elite (Prime, Prowl, Jazz, Sideswipe, etc) because he's prepared and intelligent. He can think on his feet and had the emotional intelligence to make any situation work. With Metalhawk and StarScream, you kinda get this; he's the guy that'll make it work.

But he should see a new and different Cybertron all around him, and the need for Wheeljack to be understanding these changes should be paramount. Heck, he saved a bunch of lives 3 issues ago!! Bee should have a research division understanding what Cybertron is now, what new tech the Nails are returning with, and how to humanely control rising Decepticon numbers.

14. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

That was half a comic stretched across $4, and about thirty more little-tiny-square-panels than I needed. I'm still not totally sure what's happening on the last page, but I know Wheeljack's shins are freakin' enormous.

15. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I think Bumblebee's moreso a scout than a spy.

And he's kinda only leader because the Autobots voted for him, not due to any actual qualifications. (And he probably got the job on the whole "being a nice guy" credentials)

16. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Okay, I can't believe people are dogging this issue as much as they are. It was an enjoyable read! Sure it wasn't nearly as well written as the latest MTMTE but it was still waaaay better than anything we got in the previous ongoing. It also looks like something bigger is getting set up with the whole
    time travel
    thing...

17. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I agree!
    It was a solid read and I like the style and POV for Wheeljack. I applaud the creators and editorial for trying the page lay-outs, working in the Drift history, and giving an enjoyable POV story.

And General Tenko, Bumblebee's defined by his courage and intelligence. Which is what I think put him in a leadership position.

18. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    This issue was alright. Nice to see some more of Metal Hawks backstory, nice to see Wheel Jack get some more airtime. Lord knows what they're going to do with Turmoil now though.

19. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

OK first off I'm new at trying to post the black spoiler protector thingy and can't figure it out can someone please help, meantime stop reading my post now if you don't want to be spoiled as I can't figure out how to fix it. :( 

A couple interesting things here. From RID #6, we now have Optimus, Wheelie and company headed right toward that planet that Wheelie was stranded on, at the same time
    that this ship with techonology developed or at least in possession of creatures who were on that planet
    suddenly shows up in the suburbs of Cybertron (<<< reference to Jazz line in TFTM, see what I did there.)

What really interests me about these plot lines weaving together in the future is one thing that got left by the wayside since Spotlight: Wheelie. At the end of that Spotlight, as Wheelie and his little friend have created their encampment, we see that the ancient ruin next to them contains a hieroglyph that is very clearly suggestive of, and pretty blatantly is....a Quintesson!

That to me could make things get really interesting really fast with a lot of possibilities....I mean even if the Quintessions were an "ancient" civilation, if you are throwing in
    time travel
    , well...

As a crossover with MTME, I'd also find it fun (though unlikely) if the whole "Knights of Cybertron" legend and starmap turned out to be a ruse/trap by the Quintessons, who could fill their role as the "evil" actual creators of the Transformers just as they did in some previous fictions. Then again, that would probably track the plot of the current movie 'Prometheus' a bit too blatantly, but the general idea could be fun if given some individualized-to-the-Transformers-storyline touches...

20. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Yup. And while I can kinda let that slide based on the idea that Wheeljack needed to look over the technology himself to fully diagnose the situation, as a Mirage fan its tough to see fellow "One Trick Pony" Trailbreaker getting to have all sorts of force field fun over in MTMTE, while a perfectly valid invisibility usage chance for ol' Mirage falls by the wayside.

Moreover, there are TWO guys we saw walking together in the first RID issue who to me are just begging for characterizations and storylines in this brave new world - both Mirage *and* Bluestreak/Sliverstreak/whatever you wanna call him.

First off Mirage. I liked him cuz he was to me always the most complex and interesting bio of all the Autobots, mysterious, the Autobot who didn't fully believe in the cause or want to be there, the skilled fighter who didn't like to fight, the rich guy thrown in with a bunch of ruffian warriors, the guy so cold and quiet no one could trust him on either side. Then you throw in that Spotlight: Mirage issue that was just left dangling with so many possibilites - was it a dream, is he an interdimensional Decepticon playing the part of an Autobot or vice versa or both, who knows....so much to play with. Then NOW you add on the fact that it wasn't just an "Autobot or Decepticon" choice that Mirage was struggling with...turns out there were *thousands* of NAILS out there at the same time, and here is Mirage, who has always been basically the embodiment of a NAIL mentality throughout his character's history. Now it turns out all along he could have just been a non-combatant NAIL like all those others...yet *something* *somewhere* inside him made him choose a side and enter the fight. Why? Why in the world did he do that?? Tons of possibilities to explore there....

Then Bluestreak/Silverstreak. The revelation by Metalhawk in RID #7 really, really makes the Bluestreak character more interesting. Because without giving too much away, suffice to say Metalhawk had some very shared experiences with Bluestreak. But yet Metalhawk, who seems like a fairly arrogant, know-it-all, assertive type, chose the NAIL route...whereas Bluestreak, who is always seen as a gentle, inane rambling/fun loving type, reacted to the destruction of his home city by picking a side and trying to learn to be a fighter. Trying to achieve justice and to some degree vengence through war. He and Metalhawk are essentially different sides of the same coin, and an interaction/discussion between them about who chose the right path would be fascinating.