Robots in Disguise #5 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ZacWilliam, May 30, 2012.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just read it. Liked this issue a lot better than the last.

Sky-Byte and New Perspective Ironhide are just what this book needed. Bots with common sense and the will to do the right thing even if it's not easy. And to call Prowl on his bulljive.

A good enjoyable issue. LOVED that they actually picked up on Swerve's comment for MtMtE. That kinda coordination rocks. Great to see Maccadam's return. Glad to see both BB and Blurr make the right choices with IHs help.

And Iron Hide's secret could mean a lot of things. But if it gives everyone the courage and impetous to make the right choices it's a good thing.

-ZacWilliam, happy to see the Autobots at last correct their course some. Things are getting interesting again so I'm not sure how I feel about switching to Prime next issue...

2. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone has the berrings to stand up to Prowl. He's a character whose mechanizations are best left unseen, but now he's out in the daylight and well... His striving for control at any cost is turning the Autobots into something ugly. And Bumblebee doesn't seem to be handling the pressure well. It's draining him. Good to see Optimus will be back finally.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    This was alright. Sky-Byte is cool, and I like that he's a shark, but I don't know why they felt they needed Sky-Byte of all characters. Also the art was, by and large, terrible. Wobbly, muddled, awful, awful faces. The colours were awesome, I must say. Very popping. I also like that despite being tiny steps, they are closer to peace now. True peace.

4. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Well, back for one issue. Then the story returns to Cybertron. Personally, I'm looking forward to whatever plot Shockwave's set up off-world...

5. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Haven't been able to pick it up yet, but was
    Dirge in it?

EDIT: Looks like the TFWiki got this one up early. Guess his appearance means I have to get this issue, lol. Thanks anyways, though.

6. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked how Ongoing #31 was integrated into RID's plot. So that's a
    future (and destiny) Ironhide saw on the white, blank page of #30

Griffith's art is not so great(Sky-Byte's face was... um...), but still enjoyable. Because of Perez's color work, I guess.

7. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good issue. Love Ironhide's reveal at the end and their faces lol. Now that the ID are gone I wonder how the Cons will be.

8. Sky Shadow

Sky Shadow Well-Known Member

Issue five was brilliant. Sky Byte is the outsider observer poet without the bias of any of the three factions, and this issue continues to makes it clear that there are no easy answers for either the Autobots or Decepticons. Even if the Decepticons did want to 'change' they are third-class citizens under an Autobot militia who can't risk trusting their former enemies and removing their inhibitor/deterrence chips. (Or can they?) Some clever Shakespearean allusions - there's the obvious Yorick/Sweep shtick (which was a clever nod to RiD Scourge, and Robots In Disguise is the title of this comic so having Sky Byte in it is especially appropriate). More subtle was the nod to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, in which Cinna the poet is attacked by an unruly mob who think he's Cinna the murderous conspirator (Sky Byte the poet is attacked because an unruly mob mistake him for Skywarp the murderer.) I liked the Wheelie reference too. Great art and writing. An A+ issue.

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I thought that Sky-Bite's face looked like a frog who smelled a bad fart at times. Other than that, I liked this issue. I was kinda hoping that the Constructicons were not ACTUALLY dead, but this issue cements that fact. Maybe we'll get "new" Constructicons, based on the Classics/Energon design. That would be kinda cool.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  Why I can see that, he just looked like he had a shark sneering type of grin to me. I dug it!

Good issue, tying issue 31 into this was interesting. That issue felt like nothing but filler.

I enjoyed Streetwise's line "I got shot. With fire" :lol 

I dislike Ironhide's alt mode.

Blurr's bar is cool. Interesting that both him and Swerve have bot proceeded with their post war dreams.

This was the first issue I felt that RID was really building to something. Whatever that is, I'm looking forward to it.

11. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I've not been too keen on the series by and large, and having now read through the latest issue, I'm still finding it distinctly "meh". Nobody is particularly likeable, the dialogue is wooden at best and where exactly are they going with it anyway?

Considering they had the opportunity to pull an almost Stargate Universe reboot of Cybertron, exploring the nooks and crannies, finding forgotten tech/characters and giving us a really good look at the TF homeworld, they decide instead to flatten it completely and turn the whole thing into bland tales from a refugee camp.

Completely missed opportunity in my opinion. Hopefully the break with Prime will give them time to find something interesting to do with the series.

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    3/5 from me.
    Too much navel gazing, and dower attitudes. If everyone is so anxious and grumpy, why are they returning to cybertron? Show a little happiness in the new situation - not just the focus on the isolation, alienation and political discorse.
    Secondly, nothing happened. More reflection of the established plot, examination.... but really nothing happened.
    I hope this story line has come to its conclusion. Bring on Prime, Shockwave and the Dinobots.

As an aside, I want to see the equivalent of a chess game between Wheeljack and Shockwave. Conflict and competition beyond brain bombs.

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it. Then again I've been enjoying the entire series.

So this is my first real introduction to Skybyte. So far I'm very meh on him. I suspect this isn't the best version of the character but thus far I'm not really interested in him. I also think a flying shark mode is incredibly dumb.

I look forward to the next issue.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Not even close.

This Sky-Byte only barely resembles the original in both personality and appearance. The original Sky-Byte was flamboyant, energetic, dull-witted but endearing in his determination. The central aspect of his character was his almost Wil-E Coyote level of perserv-per... stubborness. He was easily the best part of te eRID cartoon, with Scourge a close second. He was more than comic relief, he was relief from the lackluster characters and boring storylines.

I understand reinventing the character if you feel they can fullfill a role better with alterations, but why exactly did they choose Sky-Byte if he doesn't act anything like Sky-Byte? They're writing this guy like he's some sort of poet and philosipher, but that's not Sky-Byte. Poetry wasn't the focus of Sky-Byte. He would often recite a haiku or lymric in battle, but they were terrible and he only used them to try and make himself seem more sophisticated.

However, like most characters, the writers sometimes fall into the hype built around them. That, or they wrote the part for a poetic character, but could only losely recall Sky-Byte as being the only famously poetic TF, without realising he really wasn't. They bought his sophistication act. Sky-Byte is about as far from sophisticated as possible. He once dressed up his shark mode as a racecar to fool the Autobots. (nevermind it worked on both the Autobots AND Megatron, but he was a freaking shark with wheels and a spoiler) Actually he used to dress up a lot. (Robot in disguise, indeed)

Sky-Byte is my favourite TF toy, and one of my favourite characters. To see him barely reflect that look or character dissapoints me. I mean, gah, that face. Sky-Byte had a long face and pronounced chin. WHY does he have a fat, squished maw and fucking weird-looking pupils? (Though the way the pupils of the eyes on his chest follow his eye movements is humourous)

If this sounds like whiney fan bitching it's because it is. But fuck you I love my shark. I'M ALLOWED TO BE A BUTT ON AT LEAST ONE THING.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um, I think you have to take into account that EVERY character in RiD was "as far from sophisticated as possible." :p  But yeah, I think Sky-Byte fit into a box that the writers needed (looks like a NAIL, not technically a Decepticon, not established in IDW...) and they just wrote that, rather than really trying to place the RiD character into this universe.

16. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Aww, Dirge didn't have any lines. Oh well, there's always next week.

17. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I've got no previous ties to SkyByte so his reveal was meaningless to me. And I understand that IDW has to build up hype around each issue, but character reveals such as this shouldn't be disclosed ahead of time. That's why the Fort Max reveal was so powerful in MTMTE.

Not a bad issue but I've actually liked most of the other issues better. Hah, kind of unclear about Prowl's relationship with Arcee, that convo seemed clunky. Liked Blurr opening his bar, loved Ironhide's vision in connection with 31. LOVED Casey Coller's pages, even in Griffith's style. I wonder if they'll explain WHY Sky-Byte is a shark. Where did Wheelie go?

Also, very much getting a G1 reluctant-Rodimus feel from Bee. He was never portrayed as "young" in IDW, but now he seems quite grizzled.

Hmnnn... I think that's it for now! ;) 

18. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Good eye, thanks for pointing those out. Makes the poet bit that much more interesting.

19. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ehhhh... I really don't think those two reveals are comparable. Completely different kinds. Fortress Maximus' reveal was a big moment, and Sky-Byte's wasn't.

Also, I really don't think they need to explain Sky-Byte's alt-mode like some think they do. Look at how bizarre some of the other NAILs look--it's not hard to imagine Sky-Byte was on a planet with flying, shark-like creatures. Heck, that's how Griffith imagined it.

20. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

"I'm not a psycho-killer." - Arcee

YES, YOU ARE.

One issue after she stabbed a mind-controlled Sunstorm in the face and made a joke about it.

Interesting issue. It does show that the perception of the Autobots by other cybertronians is about in line with the array of nasties we see in the tech-specs. Yes, they are compromised,morally, and now there will be consequences.

- Coeloptera