Robots in Disguise #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am sorry, Barber, but Ratbat's death was the first straw... Prowl starting to act out of character and Arcee still being a psycho (even though she killed Jhiaxus like, a thousand times... she should have it out of her system by now) - those should have been telltale signs.

It's this issue that made me actually dislike the series. Please, Barber, STOP killing off interesting characters. You did the same in your movie comics, and it just as a bad move here as it was there. When Nick Roche or James Roberts kill off someone, they usually establish said person first and give them a meaningfull exit, even making one-shot nobodies like Shock or Animus memorable. Here? Other way around, Barber takes characters a lot of people care about and offs them left and right. Mostly Decepticons. Not even big names are safe...

And I thought IDW editorial staff learned the lesson with Scrapper's death. Who read this script and approved it? Chris Ryall?

I am especially angry about Prowl, who has been such a stellar character when written by Furman, Roche or Roberts, and has been declining steadily into an angry beat cop from manipulative mastermind during this series.

Oh, and Swindle's speech at the beginning? Did that serve any purpose, other than to establish that our loveable con-man Con has seemingly lost his way with business lingo?

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I assume you're just working from the preview here and havn't gotten the issue yet?

He does hang a lampshade on that here though. Prowl specifically thinks about how his character has changed, then changed again, and all. It gives him room to work as it were. I agree Prowl is more fun in Xanatos mode but we did just get that a couple issues ago, so it's not like its been missing. I'm willing to give his Prowl time and space.

Here I 100% disagree with you. Psycopathic mental unballance sociopathic attraction to violence like IDW Arcee has doesn't go away. Expecting her to be any better just cause she got to torture her white whale a bit is pretty silly. She is who she's always been. It'd take a LOT of therapy or reprograming to fix that IMO.

Did you get an early release and someone buys it later in the book, or is this just about UK exclusive Predator Skydive? That seems a strong reaction to the death of a tripple z list nobody.

It gave us an info dump on the quite changed Decepticon possition and circumstances. A check in on how Dirge was doing after last issue. Some time with the popular character Swindle and a look at least one Con's perspective on Starscream and recent events.

-ZacWilliam, maybe Swindle's voice wasn't 100% dead on, maybe, but the scenes definately served narrative purpose.

4. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe, based on what he posted on the Allspark, a friend of his got an early release, and
    someone's gonna die. Possibly multiple someones.

5. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Can someone let me know if anything happened to
    Dirge? I wasn't able to pick this up today and I'm dying to know if he's safe.

6. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Who was killed?

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The remaining five Constructicons, Sunstorm and Bombshell

My lcs was very cool and let me purchase the book a day early because I won't be around tomorrow.

It's hard, but I keep comparing this book to MTMTE. I know that's not fair, but I keep reading it and expecting it to grab me like MTMTE does and I'm not feeling it yet. The last issue very much felt like spotlight Wheeljack and this one feels like spotlight Prowl to me.

I'm hoping it gets a little better. It was an exciting issue, I'll definitely give it that. Art was great too.

The teaser for next issue is awesome!
    Sky-Byte arrives on Cybertron! Whaaaa

EDIT: I just read Tim's review. My post can be summed up to "what he said" :lol 

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    That's sad to hear about those deaths.

10. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Ack, and here I was trying to avoid spoilers. I guess that's down the pan then.

At least now we get to have fun wondering who dies next.

I hear
    Shockwave
    is in issue 6. If no one's taking bets yet, then I'm volunteering.

11. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    YES

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS

This calls for a haiku:
    "Long-gone Sky-Byte's been
    Now, in R.I.D.'s pages
    He makes his return!"

Before anyone says he hasn't been long gone due to his presence in convention comics... bah.

12. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My thoughts?

'Under Conditions Of Peace, The War-like Attack Themselves' - placard carried by a Nail in The Death Of Optimus Prime.

Good, very good. I like the tone and feel of this comic - it's SO different to MTMTE.

There's a hell of a lot of problems just threatening to boil over but in my opinion the Decepticons are not one of them
    The multiple deaths of prominent characters being a clear indication of this. They're a spent force. They have no unity, no direction, no figurehead anymore.

Look at Prowl, Starscream and Metalhawk. Each in a different position of power, each with a different agenda, each using Bumblebee's character weaknesses to push their agendas forward.

It was Prowl's time in this issue to show exactly just how dangerous this power can be.

He enforces the peace.

History has shown the extremes he will go to in order to remain in control of a situation. This issue takes that desire for control further.

His killing of Bombshell and the Constructicons here and his knowing that Arcee would kill Ratbat in issue 2 show a character unafraid to embrace the dark path he's been walking for a while now. He can't control the Decepticons, so he'll kill them if they cross him. And fair enough in a lot of respects. They are the recognisable bad guy.

But as the last panel hints, woe betide anyone to stand in his path now.

13. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

So what's the need for an Autobot army if Prowl and Arcee can kill all the Decepticons by themselves?

Freakin' hack writer... I knew ending the war was a bad idea.

14. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

How appropriate! A character from a show known as RID in the western side of the world is going to be included in a comic called RiD.

I see what you did there, writers!

15. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There isn't an Autobot army, not in the sense there used to be.

The Decepticons are essentially broken now. The 'peace through tyranny' ideal that Megatron was fighting for has gone, and we seem to be left with a bunch of thugs. Outnumbered thugs with no one to rally them. At the moment anyway.

And this peacetime story has legs.

The provisional government headed by Bumblebee is trying to be too many things to too many people and satisfying very few in the process.

The returning Cybertronians are very uneasy with the Autobots in control of the rejuvenating planet. They are treated like dirt by many of them, given slang terms to differentiate them from the affiliated sides, confronted with acts of terrorism like Rodimus' ship seemingly blowing up, obvious malcontent within the governments ranks and Metalhawk's constant undermining of its leader.

They outnumber both Autobot and Decepticon and could easily become a threat.

16. Croaker

Croaker Well-Known Member

Page 10, Panel 3.

My favourite cameos so far in this book!

17. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i swear that prowl is turning into a seriously ram damaged motherboarding slag sucking spawn of a glitch

for the love of primus will somebody please snipe the fragging slaggard already?

or better yet have ironhide kick his skidplate all the way to the pit and back

seriously though the guy finally cracked under pressure and hes become a mad dog that needs to be put out ofits misery

18. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Lameazoid.com

I just love this whole series. I mean really, the Autobots are basically the villains of this whole thing with Prowl as their leader.

19. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    It's a shame that
    Sunstorm, Bombshell, Mixmaster, and the other Constructicons died.

But hey!
    Dirge lives!
    I'm so happy for him.

20. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly!!