Robots in Blackface

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shipley, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    an interesting editorial about the subtle, and not so subtle racism in Transformers and in animation in the past.

Robots in Blackface - Transformers - ENewsI.com

I predict someone decrying it as not being racists within the first 5 responses here, but I guess they'd be missing the point and not reading the entire editorial. Thank you to those that do read, even if you disagree.

2. cosmicherosa

cosmicherosa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Just like last year's Tropic Thunder racism and no one talks about it anymore. Blah blah blah.

The movie has Punch-Out style stereotyps, and MB already explained how they got their personalities. Yawn.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Seaspray was racism to fish! :mad 

4. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My eyes rolled so fast that they might have gotten whiplash.

5. BR4DSH4W

BR4DSH4W Active Member

Flipper was the only clever dolphin?!

what you got against dolphins yo!

6. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Hey I feel if someone can make the argument the twins were "funny" , the argument that they were racist caricatures is well within the realm of discussion.

7. nintendocon

nintendocon Autocon

There is nothing indicating that they are making fun of anyone. The gold tooth could be a result of electrum, and as for the voices, thats probably just how they are supposed to sound. All the people saying that it is racist are just trying to find a reason to play the race card. If these guys are "racist" I would hate to know what that new movie Bruno would be.

8. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

People actively seek out things to offend them and piss them off.

9. nintendocon

nintendocon Autocon

Exactly, just like that Mad T.V skit that was done a while ago.

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

Maybe it's just what I've grown up with, but they struck me as a parody of hopeless wannabes more than a parody of black people. I can certainly see why people find it racist, but I just associate things like wearing a gold tooth for style and saying "bust a cap in your ass" with a straight face as signs of somebody trying too hard, regardless of race. Then again, the more I look at it, the design for Mudflap's face, it's hard not to see it as attempt to emulate the "blackface" crap from the 20's and 30's (not to mention his name has mud in it, which is often used by hate mongers in derogatory ways).
    I can certainly see why anybody involved would want to distance themselves from the fiasco.
    Skids though, I see a scrawny face, buck teeth, and big ears (not to mention Tom Kenny's Spongebob-esque voice) and I can't help but see your stereotypical, inbred hillbilly trying desperately to be hip. Prior to seeing the movie, I saw more of Skids in the TV spots and stuff and figured that they were both just farm boys (well, Cybertronian hicks at any rate) but after actually seeing Mudflap in action and looking closer at the argument, I think they have a point there.

11. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

12. NitrogenB

NitrogenB Well-Known Member

Are you serious w/ this stuff? Do we really need another thread about how this movie portrays stereotypes?

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The article was a good read, but I still disagree.

The Twins really aren't THAT BAD. Sure, they take up more screen time than needed, are borderline annoying, and inappropriate for children (contrary to what Bay claims) but their stereotyped designs and dialogue are so dated, clichéd, and irrelevant that I can’t see how someone would take it seriously to the point of getting offended.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I wish people would quit getting bent of out shape so damn easily , The twins are Funny, very funny i found them much less annoying then Jar Jar Binks, and i have known more than few white men who act alot like the twins so i say not racist

15. vincheng2k5

vincheng2k5 Ratchet made me premed

I'm not a big politically correct person and I'm not black, but if there was a robot from Asia that spoke in Engrish, was incompetent, and only ate Cybertronian Ramen noodles I'd be kinda pissed.

16. Battlewagon

Battlewagon Well-Known Member

i actually thought they were less irritating than jetfire but on par with episode 1 shenanigans from lucas...and not needed imho. although the line 'it's supposed to hurt, it's an ass whipping' made me laugh.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

To be fair, Bonecrusher hates everyone and everything.

18. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    We've already had multiple threads on this topic. Do we really need to post another one every time someone on a website somewhere wants to point out how they think the twins are racial stereotypes?

That being said, what I think most people are forgetting, since they only ever see the final product, is that Transformers characters go through a lot of different phases in their development compared to human characters in a movie and the twins could very easily be an amalgamation of different ideas that don't actually sync up and look a lot more offensive than they were really intended to be. In the end, what you get from them is really whatever you want to. They're robots and there are no particular "black" identifiers about them. They could just as easily (and it's no less of a correct and no more of an incorrect interpretation) be perceived as immature kids who are wannabee street thugs emulating "gangsta" culture (which, it is important to note, is NOT exclusive to being black).

19. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this guy is extremley delusional about his past

"But in 1984, a talking truck gave me the gift of fatherly guidance, and taught me the infinite value – and the price – of freedom."

Was this covered in the Carbomia episode.

People see what they want in the twins. When initial pics came online I thought the twins looked like goblins. Now that everybody has heard their voice they apparently have "bug eyes and jug ears. " People need to quit jumping on this bandwagon to get attention

20. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I being of African descent personally found nothing offensive about the twins. What was projected on the screen is in no way a sorry poor representation of what I act like. Because I don't "ACT" as such.

My father has a gold front tooth does that make him like Skids since he is black? No!!! When will these long winded, blow holes behind keyboards realize it isn't directed towards one ethnic diversity? It poking fun at what you can see in rap videos or hip hopese in a idiotic representation.

I'm sorry but if Mudflap and Skids offend you then it's time to start re-constructing your life and start bringing it up a bit.:banghead: 

And as for their faces being all astray, did they not see how they are constantly beating on each other and accidentally shooting each other?