robotech snap assembly model kits of the 80s

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by jorod74, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Years ago, a high school friend got a huge lot of the plastic Robotech snap together kits that came in different sizes.
    i can't seem to remember the company that made these.
    wanted some info on them and where i could find some for reasonable prices.

(he used to put the smaller ones on his dad's model train diorama- made it look like the place was being invaded.)

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    They were made by Revell, under the name "Robotech Defenders". It had all sorts of stuff - model kits of Dorvack robots, Dougram bots, Macross bots and the like. It may be kind of tricky to find those kits again under that branding label - I know a lot of those kits have had more recent releases from their official manufacturers (mostly Bandai), and those may be easier (and cheaper) to get your hands on.

Here's a list of the different kits in the "Defenders" line and their "real" names:

Robotech Defenders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should help you find what you're looking for.

EDIT: I could have sworn that "Defenders" had more than just Dougram mechs in it, though this wiki page seems to say otherwise. Apparently the actual Macross mechs were marketed under "Robotech Changers" instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I don't remember any of these kits being snap-together. All of them were traditional glue & paint kits.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Well, if we want to be specific about them being snap kits for anything branded revoltech or macross, there weren't any, not until the Macross 7 VF-19 kits from Bandai in ... 1995 or so? After that, there wasn't much available still (There was the VF-2SS, but that needed paint something fierce and it's barely even recognized as Macross, let alone Robotech) until the recent Macross Frontier line of VF-25's, but I'd be surprised if any of those were the one that jorod was looking for.

But then again, who knows? Links for everyone.

Bandai's Re-issue of the VF-19F

The available 1/72 VF-25 model kits @ HLJ

5. -l-AYATOLLAH-l-

-l-AYATOLLAH-l- Well-Known Member

I had a Revell Robotech model kit that was advertised on the box as being "snap together" in 85-86. It was of a Valkyrie in robot mode but in a full battle armor, it was non transforming and was probably about 6" tall. I don't remember ever seeing the armor in the anime or comics though. It looked similar to the blue and white mecha that is in the above posted ROBOTECH Factory picture, hell that may even be it just hunched over. It didn't "need" glue, but it sure helped. Pretty sure it was only cast in white plastic also so it needed quite a bit of paint.