Robotech Masterpiece Opinion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by fschuler, Feb 20, 2006.

1. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Howdy. Does anyone here own any of the masterpiece edition Robotech toys? I've seen a bunch of them go on Ebay for $20 to $30 recently, and I'd like to know if they're worth it. From what I understand, they originally sold for $75 to $100. Any opinions on the quality and features? (silly question: of course you have opinions)

2. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

They're being discounted for a reason......they're masterpieces of shiet.

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I have every Masterpiece that is available and I love them all. I have been fortunate enough to not have any QC issues.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I think they're so-so after owning a couple of them. They certainly aren't worth more than $30, but if you can pick one up for that price you might want to just to see if you like them or not. Their design is like a Bandai 1/55 with skinnier sculpting (and dodgier plastic quality, although it isn't bad by any means).

5. Sunstreaker

Sunstreaker Partyin Like it's 1984

Ebay:
    I had the Shadow Alpha for a little while and I have to say, the fit and finish of the Masterpiece toys doesn't begin to approach your better Transformers. The Alpha displayed nicely enough, but try to transform it (or try to get it to hold a pose) and you ended up with a floppy, half-transformed mess. I might be lured in again when the Beta comes out...but only if I can find both together for $30 or under.

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Huh. Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I'll pass on them; I need to save up for a couple of old Voltron figures anyway. I dig the Masterpiece Voltron, but I would really love to have original versions of lion Voltron and vehicle Voltron. Nice collection there, kenm2474.

One more question: what do you guys think of the 1/48 scale Valks? Those always seem to sell for $100+

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't go for the Robotech Masterpiece figures. I've been on the Macross boards quite a bit and no one has anything nice to say about them. From what I hear the quality control is not good. I go for the Yamato 1/48 scale. They're expensive as a solid gold toilet seat but they're soooooo worth it.

8. Pooky

Pooky Well-Known Member

My friend is a Macross toy nut and owns all the 1/48's and 1/60's of the Yamato line. I've only held one in my hands but it felt very high quality to me. Mostly diecast. Plus, they look very well molded. Been thinking about getting into them but the steep prices turns me off.

9. slideshot

slideshot Well-Known Member

If you want one of the VF1s, do yourself a favor and just splurge on the 1/48 Yamatos. They are about 130-150 each, and another 50 for the FAST/Armor packs. Yes, it's pricy, but it is by far the best versions of them made. The 1/60s are also good, and can be gotten for half the price nowadays with armor.

The Masterpiece versions of the VF1s are terrible - they feel cheap and just aren't that great. I liked my 1/55s from Bandai better than the masterpiece versions.

10. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhh Pooky's sig again.....

IMO they are great and worth $30 for a true Robotech fan :D 

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Go Yamato... You won't regret it...

12. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

If you've got the funds I'd go with the Yamato 1/48. If you just want a nice cheaper Veritech I'd probably get a 1/60 yamato before a Toynami one.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I continue to be VERY confused about what's out there for good Robotech toys. From what I've read, the only thing that seems to be generally agreed upon is that there is nothing 'Masterpiece' about the Masterpiece versions.

As someone considering the purchase of Robotech/Macross toys for the first time, I would naturally gravitate first to anything that said "Masterpiece" on it simply because of the name. There's an implication in the moniker that these are truly the best of the best - a phenomenal rethinking of design, resulting in the best interpretation of that toy/character ever made. It looks like this is not the case here, and unfortunately, this trend is not limited to Robotech/Macross. I recently bought MP Voltron based on recommendations on this board, and am very disappointed in the purchase; there is almost nothing to significantly set it apart from its vintage predecessor - or justify the price tag.

I've never watched any of the show(s), so I don't know the names of the various mechs - and frankly, I haven't really seen any that I find as attractive as the one used for G1 Jetfire. Since I know I like that one, I wonder if my best bet isn't to simply find out what particular toy that was (1/55 Bandai?) and just look for vintage versions? I guess if you decide to collect Robotech/Macross, you have to pick a manufacturer and size, look for a checklist and go from there. I see a lot of positive press for the 1/48 Yamatos, both in this thread and elsewhere.

14. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Jetfire mold is from the old Bandai 1/55 molds. You can get some of them fairly cheap since a lot of the 1/55s were re-issued a few years back. They are solid as a rock and good for nostalgia.

The 1/60s look great in fighter mode but you have to remove the legs for transformation. The legs are diecast.

The 1/55 Masterpiece is basically a scaled up 1/72 Bandai HCM which is why the legs look so skinny and weird. They are fairly crappy but you can find them for cheaper. The Ben goes for about $30 while the others go for about $50 which is retailer cost. Most like the package but not the toy. The light in the head keeps the head from turning all the way to one side, and the plastic is thin so you can see the light through the head of the veritech most of the time.

The 1/48 is the greatest version of a valkyrie. It's big, has perfect transformation, and has a lot of great details. It's pricey but if you want the best you have to pay for it. You can find a 1/48 for about $150 shipped, FAST packs for about $60-65 and the new GBP for about $100

15. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I own every one of the Toyami MP Valks except the brown one and having never taken them out of box I can't comment on their quality but I like the way they look and since I have all the Bandai Valks as well for posing/playing I can afford to keep them MISB for a long time. I'd love to get into Yamato's high quality Valk but like many people say it's very pricey and for one I can get 3 MPs that's why I passed on them.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Macross gurus, swoop in and help me with this one. I really like the size/quality of the Yamato 1/48s, but it looks like there are more figures available in the 1/60 class.

For example, I really like the red and blue valks but have only seen them in 1/60. Did they make those two in the 1/48 scale as well?

Feel free to point me at a checklist or pictoral reference. Thanks!

17. bigkid24

News Credits:
    When you say Red and Blue do you mean the mostly red and blue valks for Miria and Max? Both of those were done in the 1/48 scale but they included FAST packs so the price on those was more like $180 when they came out but you'll probably pay about $200 now.

yes the 1/60 line is more complete but only in terms of the 2 seaters meaning the Elintseeker, the Super Ostrich, and the VF-1D. The one 1/48 that came out that isn't available in 1/60 scale is the Hikaru VF-1S.

That's true but given the quality of the MPCs I'd rather have one quality item than 3 mediocre ones.

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Chalk me up as a semi-defender of the Masterpiece versions mainly because while I like Robotech/Valkyries, I'm not like ZoMfG about them. The Yamato ones are nicer based on what I've read/seen, but they're also significantly more expensive..read, more than I really want to pay for any Valkyrie.

The only Masterpiece ones I paid full price for were #1/Hunter and #3/Fokker, the first because I didn't know any better, Fokker because I figured he'd be the most popular and might actually sell through at full price, which he pretty much did. #2, #4 and #5 I got on BBTS clearance for $40 or less. They're a good deal for under $50 IMO, not so much for $80.

After snagging Max and Miriya's, I kinda lost interest and as such never got the Appendix Armor sets, #6/Archer or any of the Alphas. Not sure that I ever will get the Alphas as I'm kind of too far behind. Will probably angle to get Archer and the armor at some point. I do want to get the Bandai 1/55 VF-1S w/armor set for nostalgic value though.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I missed out on the appendix armor sets because I didn't want to pay extra for something I never gonna take out but found later they weren't selling so they were giving away with MP. Doh. I have the Bandai 1/55 VF-1S w/Armor and it's the only one (so far) that I've displayed. It's every bit like Jetfire and so much cheaper. I'd love to repaint it in Jetfire color though.

20. bigkid24

News Credits:
    I don't know if it's really cheaper nowadays. The boxed Super VF-1S goes for the same price of a loose Jetfire ($100).

The MPC armors weren't selling so you could get them on discount but then everyone was looking for them and pushed prices sky high causing Toynami to re-issue them.

Since they are probably going to come out with a Beta you may want to get an Alpha before the prices increase.