'Robotech' - I'm a tad scared after the quality of recent adaptations.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Its a fad in Hollywood at the moment. The live action animated adaptation.
    'Speed Racer' and 'Transformers' didn't work for me and by the looks of it 'GIJOE', will join them.
    Now 'Robotech' is in the wings and Tobey Maguire is linked to it as his production company is involved.
    I am slightly concerned as the promises he is making sound awfully familiar.
    This property has loads of potential - but don't they all?
    Unlike other giant robot films, like Voltron and Evangelion, RT seems to be going smoothly in early pre-prod.
    I guess their tranforming mecha are more easily validated than Eva or Voltron. Each mode of the fighters they use, Veritechs, perform different military tasks and the humanoid mode puts them on even terms with the alien aggressors, who are, as we know, giant humanoids.

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, this is going to take the Macross/Robotech arguments to new realms. D:

If Kawamori gets involved in the mecha design I would have to congratulate him on several levels.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea it really is... lol especially since, though i am a big fan of robotech, i HATED the bore fest that was the new animated movie thing.

though that is probably because the only part of robotech that i actually really enjoyed was the "macross" part, the rest were all "meh" to me lol.

and it kind'a left it all out...

leaving me to believe that this "robotech" film probably will too, unless it is remade into a macross film that is...

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what if Robotech's first section, which was based off of Macross, becomes a new movie based off of Robotech, which then gets released in Japan as a Macross movie?

Thus being a Macross movie based off a Robotech movie based off a Robotech cartoon based off a Macross cartoon?

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Wouldent happen, the legal business in Japan over the ownership of SDFM thankfully ended in a way that denies the Robotech dicks any usage of Macross IP in productions.

6. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I would like to see them adapt the Macross segment first. Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, etc.
    Maybe even spread it over a trilogy to broaden it. Having the climactic battle against the Zentraedi armada at the end would just echo 'Star Wars' too much.
    I wasn't taken too much by the Lisa Stirling era, but the Invid invasion with Rand, Bernard and Rook was pretty good. The invid ships would look amazing alongside the Veritechs.

7. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and don't see it. Anyone who writes this post is predetermined not to like the eventual film.

8. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Look on the bright side-

Maybe it'll never get off the ground.

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I want everything in a robotech movie to have gerwalk modes.

Gerwalk cars.

Gerwalk jets.

Gerwalk buildings.

Gerwalk food.

10. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

well since its highly unlikely it will look anything like the show.. due to all those legal problems.. I have already written that off.. but if we get transforming fighters and epic space battles.. then I guess I will be happy.

I personally would be just as happy if it did not look like sdf macross .. won't entirely keep the fanboys from whining, but then again nothing ever does.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    might have not worked for you, but will for others. Id like to see the name "skyfire" get thrown out there somewhere :) 

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    As much of a fan of Macross and Robotech alike (minus Souther Cross which was garbage for me) I have to say that I can't see a live action adaptation succeeding simply on the premise that if they follow the whole Zentran/Zentraedi being weak against music, people will laugh their collective asses off.

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

If it's not based off the Macross story... I don't think it's going to be anything worth watching.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't really care if this movie is good or bad. I just want the toys to be good.

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    That's a huge problem in itself.

16. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please not Playmates Please not Playmates Please not Playmates

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Personally, I think that anything less than what we've seen from Yamato and Bandai would be a disservice to the franchise that is Macross.

Realistically they'd have to make cheaper toys just so people can afford the things.

18. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

I hope they come up with something all thier own, they have been rideing on the coat tails of Macross for a quarter century now...But then the only reason this is in production is because its rideing on the coat tails of fan nostalgia. :p 

When Robotech aired I was most interested in the Southern Cross portion, as it wasn't something I was familure with at the time. I still consider Southern Cross a guilty pleasure even though many dislike it. :p 

19. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

*head explodes*

Seriously though, I think if they take they're time and really try to do the Robotech story justice, this could make an awesome trilogy (or maybe quadrology, as I just can't figure out how to do Macross in just one movie). The show had it's flaws being what it was, but the story they were trying to create is the definition of a space epic.

But please go beyond Macross. "The Robotech Masters/Southern Cross" is a train wreck, but the characters and potential are there.

20. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i would love to imagine what macross and robotech would be like now IF Harmony Gold wasnt trying to be so over demanding that all the macross series cant all be dubbed and brought over.