Non-TF: Robotech Alpha Fighter

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Mega-Prime 316, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

I had originally done this kit waaay back about '84 or so, I was about 11 and didn't really have any model building experience and ruined it. I picked this kit up back almost 10yrs ago and just now got around to doing it. It is a 1/48 scale Alpha fighter made famous in the 3rd chapter of Robotech and used exclusively by the Robotech Expeditionary Forces. This one I painted to represent the one Scott Bernard piloted.

This kit was fun to put together, but not recommended for someone with no experience.

Hmm, just noticed that in some of the pics the flash kinda makes the paint look streaky and thin. It is not like that in person. :crazy:  Oh well, on to the pics. Enjoy and C&C. :D 

Attached Files:

2. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

this is nice. but... i think you should repaint it into jetfire/skyfire. what ? it looks like skyfire in the cartoon, dosen't it ?

3. Mega-Prime 316

Close, Jetfire/Skyfire would have been the Macross veritech fighter. 1st generation Robotech Veritech VF-1J.

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Yeah this guy really is more suited to Leader-1 ;) 

Wonderful to see someone finish one of these kits, and in its proper original deco as well :) 

The one I'm working on is NOT going to be Macross/Robotech deco'ed so its nice to see what the thing is supposed to look like :) 

5. Mega-Prime 316

It started off as Monograms Leader-1 kit. :D 

6. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

dude I'm in the same boat built this and the CY-kill back in 84 and then bought them both recently to build again. Finished the cykill as lancer and then the damn thing broke in the same spot it did 25 years ago. I had to laugh at the irony. I do know the model is amazing as far as engineering goes, and you did a nice job on the paint. Kudos!

7. Dischord

Dischord Empyricon

Ebay:
    The Alpha Fighter has always been one of my favourite designs. It's nice to see one, and to see one as well executed as this. To my mind, the design looks better without the dorsally mounted octuple missile launcher, though--did you consider leaving it off? Nice work.

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Figured :lol  I HOPE you started with a second-run one where he was molded in gray, mine is a repackaged-old-stock one molded in red, and I can't imagine the torment of going from red to white and blue as nicely as you have here!

9. Mega-Prime 316

Thanks for the praise!

I did consider leaving the dorsal missile launcher off, however the way this kit was designed, there is a huge "hole" in his back for transformation. The cockpit folds onto his back and that extra launcher covers this hole.

10. Mega-Prime 316

Yup he was molded in the light grey. I did consider going red and white for a short time, but decided to go with the blue. :D 

11. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

Not bad! Colors are bright and vibrant, and they seem to match the source pretty well.
    One thing though, your panel lines seem to be a bit on the thick side. Did you use a sharpie or something similar to do them perhaps?
    In any case, I'd highly recommend getting some Sakura Pigma Micron, preferrably size 005, and seeing how those work for you. I use them on all my gundam models, and they produce a nice, thin line while retaining the deep "cel-shaded" look. Be sure to clean them up with a Q-Tip lightly dipped in rubbing alcohol for maximum thinness!
    I didn't realize they released a "Leader-1" redeco of the Alpha Fighter. I did try my hand at the Cy-Kill(Cyclone) model back when I was a kid, but it was waaay out of my skill level. I miss these kits. Seems they're a pretty penny nowadays though.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Cool, I have a similar one lying around here. It's also blue, but looks different.

13. Mega-Prime 316

I tried panel lining on this one for the 1st time. I used a black fine tip Gundam marker. I originally tried a Sharpie, but it seemed to get clogged or something. Where do you find the Sakura Pigma Microns?

14. God Convoy

God Convoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    dun think it's close to skyfire. skyfire uses a vf-1 body... this one... not relatively close... sorry for the comment... i like this veritech as well... u dun have the Tread Bomber @ Beta Fighter?