Robot Replica Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by revlimiter, Sep 23, 2007.

1. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    (I searched for this one a few different ways and didn't find another thread. If I suck, could mods merge this with the main thread please?)

Robot Replica Optimus Prime is the 3rd Robot Replica I've acquired and the first one I've actually liked. I was WAY disappointed by Megatron and Bumblebee - so disappointed that I returned BB and hacked up Megs for spare parts. If I'd bought Prime first, I would probably own the whole RR lineup at this point.

I'm a huge Revoltech fan and am actually the administrator of the Flickr Revoltech group. As such, I'll try to give a review skewed to the Revo collector and not the standard "it doesn't transform" review.

[​IMG]
    RR Prime is big - about an inch taller than Revoltech Prime and a half inch taller than Revo Megatron. He's much beefier than either. To be honest, this is a negative for me. I wanted him to be perfectly in scale with the TF Revoltechs. But I guess he's close enough.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, RR Prime is closer in scale to the EVA Revoltechs and sees eye to eye with Classics Starscream, though the shoulder intakes on SS stand taller.

[​IMG]
    Among my movie Prime collection, Replica really stands out. He's the most detailed and movie-accurate of any movie Primes released to this point in my opinion. That slot used to belong to KEYCHAIN Prime in my opinion. Note: I don't own Leader Prime. I don't like him enough to purchase him. Sorry.

[​IMG]
    Onto the figure himself.

RR Prime comes with between 6 and 8 "revoltech" joints. He's got 4 "real" Revoltech joints - 2 in each knee and 2 in each shoulder. The hip and elbow joints are both half-joints - half is a standard single direction joint and half is a revolver joint. The feet have fully-articulated HUGE Revoltech joints like the other Robot Replicas, but they aren't easily removable. There's also a ratcheting non-removable joint in the torso (that works much nicer than BB or Meg's versions) and a balljoint in the head. That's 12 joints total. Not bad.

Personally, I'm quite happy with Prime's joints. I plan to hack out the elbow half joints and replace them with real Revoltech ones to give him an extra bit of poseability. Other than that one change and a bit of paint, Prime came well built out of the box.

RR Prime's paint and plastic aren't as nice as a real Revoltech, but that's to be expected. I'm much more impressed with his paint than Bumblebee's though. He seems like a GOOD knockoff vs a BAD knockoff.

[​IMG]
    His back is nicely detailed. I nearly forgot to include this shot.

[​IMG]
    Prime's beefy feet make for some easy posing. He's also got great leg articulation.

[​IMG]
    I couldn't resist a little photoshop glow effect for this last shot. It just begged for it.

------------------------

All in all, RR Prime is a great toy and will stand proudly on my Revoltech shelf. If ranked on a Revoltech scale, I'd give him between a C- and a B-. He IS a Prime and a good one at that, which skews him up in my opinion. If ranked on a movie Prime scale, I'd give him an A. GREAT rendition of movie Prime. And ranked on a Robot Replica scale, he gets an A++. Yes, double plus.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Great review. I personally wish that people would stop comparing the RR's to Revoltechs. While they do share similar joints, they are completely different from each other. Also, these were meant basically as action figures for kids to play with, where I think Revoltechs are meant more for display purposes.

3. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting.

Nice review! :thumb 

Now I'm considering getting him, if I can find him!

4. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

why has noone reviewed jazz yet? why no love for the jazz meister

5. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Raven: I'd agree about the previous RR's not being that similar to Revoltech, but Prime actually is. He's quite similar. And as for playtime, you'd be surprised how much action my Revos receive...

wavelength: I left Jazz on the shelf because of my loathing for the Robot Replica line. After seeing how cool Prime is, I might consider picking up Jazz.

6. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must get this. Now all I wish if for a Wave 3 with Ironhide, Blackout, Starscream, and Ratchet.

7. OPTIMUS PRIME24

OPTIMUS PRIME24 Member

i got prime about a month ago at my local walmart but did not post a review because my camera broke and i forgot but i too agree that this one is a great figure. the only i don't like is again the lack of more arcticulation with the joints, the paint looks off (thats why i repainted him the same day i got him :D ) and the size, i would have like him to be a little bigger to be more inscale with the others. the design of the remind me of the first pre-production art of optimus.
    like this:
    front:
    [​IMG]
    back:
    [​IMG]
    i can tell by the head design, but this is what RR optimus is base on. all in all i really like the figure its really fun and good posing. :cool: 

8. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

o_O 

9. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It's difficult to take an opinion on the RR without the Revoltech factor getting invovled in, I do think Prime looks great, but not as good as it could have been. But I will definately try to grab the whole RR line.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got RR Prime yesterday. He is really head and shoulders above the other RR's with better paint aps and posability.

Negatives:

- The thin neck looks a little wierd.
    - Elbow joints don't swivel lef and right, just up and down.
    - With the size of the gun they include, it could have just been attached to the arm without having to pop anything off. I just don't like extra peices that have nowhere to go.

Positives:

- Best representation of Movie Primes robot mode in toy form.
    - Great poseability (ARTICULATED ANKLES! Hasbro- these are very important and should be on ALL transformers!)
    - Surprisingly good paint apps.

Overall, I am happy with it and believe it was easily worth the price. Now, for the obligatory comparison, it has almost the same amount of articulation that Revoltech Prime has. Only the head and elbows really seem to have less range of movement. Also, it will cost you about $15 less in the US then a revoltech.

11. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

better a skinny neck than a neck as big as primes head ( i'm looking at you revoltech prime)

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I would say it was a tossup, but I am kinda leaning towards revoltech Primes neck being just a little better on the eyes. Revoltech Primes neck is pretty accurate to the source art though (Pat Lee?).

13. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Nice review, I may pick him up myself now.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No love for Brawl? He's one that I would pick up in a heartbeat if they were to make one, and probably Ratchet too :thumb .

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Prime isn't bad at all...better joints than the first wave. My favorite just under Frenzy.

16. crasis

crasis Yahk Deculture!

News Credits:
    Man, am I the only one who thinks the paint job on this Prime figure is terrible? At first I thought it was just the one I purchased, but I have seen four more in stores recently...and ALL of them have awful paint aps, most noticeable on the head. With all the extra "silver" (grey) painted on the sides of his head, it looks like he has a blue mohawk. I'm sure this guy is a great figure when repainted, but I'm shocked to hear all the positive reviews of the paint from you guys!

17. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Lets just say I have seen paint app quality REALLY run the gambit with Hasbro, and comparably, RR Prime has largely more paint apps and relatively well detailed one, along with easily being better then previous RR's.

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw him in the store but didn't buy him because his face looked like it was missing alot of paint aps.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There are three things that bother me about this guy that prevent me from buying him:

Knees/Elbows.
    Paint apps.
    Lack of non-battle mode head.

20. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I think he is an awesome figure. He might not be revoltech quality but in terms of "Robot Replica" I think he fits the bill nicely. There are some minor quirks but nothing a gundam marker can't handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rate him higher than RR Bumblebee and DEFINITELY RR Jazz (btw, that IS a pice of shit)