Robot or root mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by juise, Apr 9, 2009.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a while now I've been on a "root mode" kick. In the G1 episode "The Autobot run" (season 2 episode 23) Megatron test his transfixatron ray on Starscream. After shooting Starscream with it he says (at the 3 minute mark) "Then transform back to your root mode Starscream". Being a computer geek I know the word root has significant meaning in the computer world.

Is there anything in the fandom that says this is an error? Why dont we see more of the term?

YouTube - transformers episode 23 - the autobot run part 1

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ha, good catch! I would guess it was just an error, probably either a typo in the original script or Welker dropping the "b" and mistakenly reading the word as "root" rather than "robot" during the dialogue session. And the G1 editors/directors subsequently showing their standard attention to detail in letting it slip through. ;) 

But you're right, even if it was an error it does make a certain amount of accidental sense. Though I work on computers, I'm not a programmer, so I only have a general idea of how the term root applies to programming... but even just from a mythos level, you could make a case that a Transformer's "root" mode is their primary mode (and thus the opposite of the more mutable alt mode).

Just a happy accident, I guess. :) 

3. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I like root mode far more than robot mode. Robot makes the TFs sound like they aren't alive when they are. Unfortunately, it probably was just a happy accident knowing G1 continuity-checkers.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Botanica has a root mode too. :) 

5. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    And then her alt mode IS a (plant) root and it's a whole different thing. Lol.