Robot Masters Skywarp & Thundercracker review!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Pravus Prime, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    RM Thundercracker and Skywarp

I actually got these guys a few days ago, but put off reviewing them due to a lack of time to sit down and write it out. Bottom line for the lazy, unlike the other RMs outside of the figures, and great figures themselves; well worth the money.

As usual, I don't have any pics, but finding some good ones shouldn't be too hard, Remmy's got some good ones.

The Box. Unlike the rest of the line, they changed the box, to a retro-G1 styled box, purple with the grid, and the labels and everything makes it look like a hidden gem of the G1 line. Though it doesn't go with the rest of the collection of RM, it would be right at home with any G1 toy.

The Bio-Card. One thing I have always liked about the Japanese TF's is the bio cards. Neat little tech specs that give the toy a character feel to it, and of course, a nice homage to the original TF tech specs. None of the rest of the Robotmasters came with this, once again differentiating them. Unfortunately we only got one bio card, I would've vastly preferred 2, but the fact that we got one at all is a nice touch.

The pin. This is surprising, I wasn't expecting anything but a silly little pin, but this is a quality piece, and I could see people paying $10-15 for a pin with some substance and size to it; a quality design, and coloration like this. As an added bonus, this is a well done add-on.

At this point, even though we haven't gotten to the figures yet, there's a feel here that while these are RM, there's something more to this, like it's been finished by someone else who was more concerned for the fans, and who wanted to make sure they got their value out of the set.

I mostly ordered this set because I have a soft spot for Skywarp. I don't particularly like the character from the 'toon, but I like his powers, and of the seeker colorschemes, he's by far the coolest.

The figures themselves seem to be a recolor of the original Starscream figure (I say this not because I think you're all idiots, but because I don't have Starscream to be 100% certain; there could've been some minor change in the figures), so if you have SS, or Black SS, you already know what the figures are, just imagine them as Skywarp and Thundercracker colorschemes and there you go.

The coloration is right on, although the integrated TF has the forearms that were removed originally stay with the figure, which translates to both jets having different colored panels in jet mode around the engines, which looks slightly out of place, but not distractingly so.

Also, for some reason, the noses point a bit far down and it looks odd to me, but that's also very minor.

For those who don't have Starscream, these is a really rather sharp design, maximizing the old figures look with modern TF design, and integrating it so that there's no spare parts, but looks suitibly like the old characters. In robot mode, the figure has a ball jointed head, swivel shoulders and biceps, hinge elbows and hinge wrists. (There's a plug in socket for a weapon peg from the other RM figures that use the peg and socket style weapons) Legs are ball jointed, and the ankles swivel up. 12 points of usable articulation (not counting the ankles) give you enough to have articulation as an action figure, but it's no Super Articulated figure. Transformation is simple, and very similar to G1; remove the weapons, swivel down the wings, fold the wrists, lift up the nosecone around the torso along with the cockpit, swivel in the arms, peg the cockpit into the shoulders, fold in the legs and connect them to each other, raise the ankles/feet, swivel the rear flaps, lower the wings, secure wings/flaps into the grooves and peg. Attach the weapons to the wings. Transformed.

In Jet mode, they've got rolling rear wheels and a dummy front landing gear.

Also, as RM's, they have that extra weapon. In their case, it's two pec attached weapons that peg in, and have a swivel of their own, opening up to reveal 6 psuedo cannons, and like some of the other special RM weapons, are vac plated chrome. They plug in rather securely and if you're careful, you don't ever have to remove them to TF; they don't get in the way for most of the transformation, and they don't get in the way of the vehicle mode.

Quality. Every now and then, you hear about QC at Takara slipping. I've been fortunate enough to never have had a big problem, but I did have a minor problem with this set, Skywarps left wing was very loose, and would fall off during transformation. However, using a little clear nail polish on the ball and the socket of that joint tightened him right up, and now there's no problems at all to report of on either figure. Also, mostly because of their design, both figures cockpits are somewhat loose, and in jet mode don't peg in to anything, the result is that the cockpits may open up if you're "flying" around the room with them doing combat manuevers. :cool: 

Value. Well, I paid around $35 or so for them. I got two RM figures that's a great mold in fantastic color schemes, a bio card, and a very nice pin. For those box collectors, the box may further intice you, or cause you to complain. As I don't care about the box, and throw them away after I open it, it doesn't bother me.

These are my fourth and fifth Robotmasters, and of them, they are my favorite. In fact, I'm pricing Black SS and SS now, because I like the idea of having a RM seeker fleet. Of all the RM figures I've gotten, these have left me the most pleased. If you're a fan of the seekers, or of RM, it's pretty much a must get set; I can't see how you'd be disapointed with them.

Anyway, as I was saying, these are great figures, and you get some bonus materials. 2 figures for around $35 is about $17.50 a piece if you treat the card and pin as free. That's actually the cheapest RM figure I've gotten.

Lastly, while these are fun with RM displays, or whatever, I believe these are actually close to being in WST Autobot scale. Not show-wise or anything like that, but if you were to compare the actual vehicle alt modes, you'd be pretty close to actually having alt modes in scale with each other. Kinda funny, isn't it? Those tiny little Autobots and those great big Decepticons?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah, I have full intentions of getting these guys!! Now they need to make a RM Sunstorm :rock 

Andy

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    these are sweet and the pins pretty swell too.

i wished the box had figure pictures on the side packaging tho. plus, no comic?

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my Skywarp also has that wing problem, it slightly irritated me but i will use your solution to fix mine, which hopefully will then make this set all that much more awesome, beucase it's my second RM purchase and i love it.

5. Dominatorx

Dominatorx Banned

I also suffered the wing problem cept it was with thundercracker and the backs of the forearms take all of 3 minutes with a paintbrush to correct and i have to say that they do look the awesome flanking ss

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    My Skywarp also has the left wing fall off a lot. It's not exactally looser, it's like the socket is shallow, so it pops out easier. Only mildly annoying though. The pin is snazzy, though the point of mine wasn't sharpened, so it was a pain to get it to go through my tie. (I've been wearing it to church :D  ) All in all, I agree that this is great, and the box it sooo worth keeping, since it's got a 3 part molded insert with no twisties. A MIB dream come true!

7. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

love them they go great with starscream and black starscream :D 

8. FordPrefect

FordPrefect nicely inconspicuous

My Thundercracker has two left shoulders. :(  There's also some small pieces of plastic breaking off from his waist.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got mine yesterday. Skywarp's wing actually fell off as I was taking him out the box, and again later. Popped back on ok though. I love these guys. Only two complaints really- the heads seem a bit too small, which I first noticed with RM Starscream. The other is that the purple stripe on Skywarp's wings is so dark you can hardly see it. Aside from that they're much loved. Great packaging, the pin was a great bonus. It'd be cool if they could do an Autobot set like this, with the autobot pin.

10. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Some of you might have seen the Robotmasters answers to Classics Thundercracksr and Skywarp, and I know all the posters I've listened to have always wanted something along these lines... at least in the case of Thundercracker, who does not currently have a Classics rendering and may never, as the line has been terminated. I don't know if I wanted another Ultra Magnus repaint of Optimus Prime, and I desperately wanted Thundercracker, so while some of you might have resisted getting these in the light of not knowing what you were getting, I knew as soon as I saw these I had to get them. Well, now they've arrived, and since I love everybody now, I just thought I'd provide some input on how they are so you can make your own judgements. This is my first review.

In the pictures, I included Classics Starscream for reference. As you can see, Starscream is only slightly larger, making them a perfect fit in your Classics collection in that respect. Here's a blow by blow detail of how these Robot Master goons compare to their Air Commander.

Pros:
    -The front landing gear is in the nosecone, and fully retractible for the two.
    -The cockpit opens and there is a seat inside on the Robot Masters brothers... not so for Classics Starscream.
    -Skywarp and Thundercracker have detachable missile racks which fit on their chests, a-la the cartoon series and Masterpiece Starscream, while Classics Starscream does not.
    -Skywarp and Thundercracker have smaller arm cannons which do not shoot missiles. I have heard somebody once complain about that, while I myself don't really care one way or the other.
    -These RM's are a more accurate representation of the G1's the characters were based on, while still having a cartoon-accurate feel.
    -They are made of softer, lighter plastic which seems to make them much easier to transform with minimal effort.
    -The Guns fit on the arms, on the hands, and one fist has an extra hole to hold it another way. Why, I don't know, but it slightly outdoes Starscream.

Cons:
    -Price... For some reason (probably the inclusion of a complimentary Decepticon Logo pin), the pack of two costs upwards of $50 US which makes 1 cost 25 dollars, slightly more expensive than Classics Starscream if memory serves.
    -Because the plastic is lighter, I'm afraid I'm going to break them.
    -Classics Starscream looks much more handsome and sophisticated than Skywarp or Thundercracker in robot mode. It figures, doesn't it? He's significantly more ripped and has flatter abs. But it's just as well.
    -Starscream's knees can bend. Skywarp and Thundercracker's can't.
    -These Robot Master designs are basically a logical improvement to the original G1 Seeker design, adding nothing new to what the G1's should have been that I haven't thought of myself. Slight lack of imagination factor.
    -I don't see any transparent plastic. (yay!)
    -The Missile launcher pods fit on these two so tight that they pop off when I transform them. They just go back on if need be, or maybe I should just remove them in Jet mode...:drunk 

Similarities:
    -Both are about the same size.
    -Posability is similar in many respects, with slight disadvantages in the robot master department. The shoulders don't appear to raise out to the sides, although if you allow the wings to be pushed back you can do the pose another way. The wrists on these RM's flip up which alow the hands to point up at the shoulders, and Starscream can't do that. Although the knees of these guys can't bend, the thighs twist, something again that Starscream can't do. Altogether this is a worthy match for any other average modern day transformers.

Summary: I ...still can't believe they're here!:mail 

[img=http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5479/seekers1se6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3350/seekers2pk0.th.jpg]

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    mighty late to the party, but yeah, sweet 2 packs.

wouldve been sweeter if it was a 3 pack in the 1st place. love the g1 back boxart.

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Still have it - fresh MISB case.

13. betetta

betetta guitar face

yeah, they're pretty sweet, actually if they would have bothered to put knees on them, i think i would like them a little better than the classics version.

14. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Hey, what do you know, I just looked at the toy itself and it says "Takara 2004". I wonder why I missed them in 2004? I probably wasn't interested in them because Starscream was black or something. I must have completely forgotten about them! I saw that they were available and assumed that they were new. Didn't they terminate the Robot Masters line too?

Jeez. This makes me question my mind.:banghead:  I feel helpless now!

My point is, this could be the reason why Takara hasn't bothered with a Classics Thundercracker... they could consider it beating a dead horse.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nah, It's more like using the mold a third time in a limited run line. After all, key point, Hasbro is making Classics not Takara. Takara made these, Hasbro makes Classics.

Also, I somehow think beating a dead horse has very little to do with it, otherwise, why do Classics at all when more homages would equally constitute dead horse beating?