Robot-Man X

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sidecutter, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked up this nice little curiosity from Argentina off eBay recently for a very reasonable amount, and thought I'd share a few pictures and a bit of write-up on it.

I'm not really sure where this figure belongs in my collection. The packaging clearly uses the Generation 2 style of logo, and even uses a Generation 2 Decepticon emblem. However, the figure itself has no faction indicated anywhere else on the package, and there is no faction sigil on the figure itself. This is either a late G1 figure, like some items in Europe, or a G2 figure, and Primus only knows which side I'm supposed to place him on.

The card artwork also shows the figure with white parts instead of yellow. I don't know if this was just early art from before the colors were finalized, or if the other version actually exists.

*Edit* After some further research, it appears there is also a green and white version of this figure, as well as a black and white Robot-Man Z (Twintwist) packaged the same way. These version seem to date from 1994. The original 1985 releases included this figure as "Salt-Man X" in green or red with a white torso, and Salt-Man Z in dark blue with a yellow torso (I have this one as well), or black with a white torso. Why the names changed from Salt-Man to Robot-Man, who knows.

The bubble the toy is sealed under is also very unusual. It fits around the toy's shape, but the overall bubble does not match the shape of the toy at all as they usually do, with a lot of excess on all sides.

Also of note is that all the stickers on this figure are applied at the factory. There are no additional labels and no label sheet, unlike Salt-Man Z.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In robot mode, the figure bears a very strong, but not loud, color scheme. The red and yellow are both very vibrant and intense colors, but neither is in any way a neon or fluorescent. The colors actually come off quite well. Curiously, neither the package nor the toy itself bear any kind of date markings anywhere. I really have no idea when this toy was made. The manufacturer stamp simply says "Antex".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gun, unlike the US Jumpstarters, is not chromed at all. Instead, it's cast out of a very silvery plastic, which is actually somewhat flexible. The tolerances of the weapon design were designed with chrome in mind though, which means that the weapon peg actually fits very loosely into the figure's hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, the vehicle mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Do you have Salt Man Z? That's one of the greatest TF names ever

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do have one of the older 1985 versions of Salt-Man, Z, yes. The dark blue limbs and yellow torso version.

If anyone out there has the green and white and red and white 1985 versions of Salt-Man X, and the second 1985 version of Salt-Man Z, I'd be very interested in them. I'd also like to get ahold of the green and white Robot-Man X and the Robot-Man Z. I know there's little love for the Jumpstarters, but I think curiosities like this are awesome.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Awesome, I love the pics :) 

I'd love to acquire these guys for my collection. I'm slightly surprised that FunPub hasn't repurposed him as SG Topspin actually.

5. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone else want to see updated versions of these characters? I'd love to see Top Spin and Twin Twist redone (not necessarily as Jump Starters, but with similar aesthetics) and repaints as Robot Man and Salt Man would make perfect BotCon exclusives.