Robot Abs

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by <3prime, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hopefully the truck parts on his arms are mistransformed or removable, they look awful

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Uhhhh... yes.

Let me speak, as someone who is neither conventionally "fat" nor one possessing discernible abs on my stomach... but "athleticism" and "heroic" are traits that are often associated, especially in the context where heroism is defined by martial prowess.

Is it a bias against fat people? Heck yeah! But get over it. Having abs you can grate cheese on may not be "realistic" but being fat is still unhealthy, and just because most of us are soft from spending too much time on our asses in front of computers, doesn't mean we should start treating "fat" as something to aspire too.

In recent years, it's become politically incorrect to criticize fatness (probably because so many of us ARE fat now)... but if you want to look at what's damaging our health most in western society, it's not steroids or anorexia. It's being fat and unhealthy.

What this has to do with giant robots having abs? It's just about connotation. Muscularity connotes power and ability. It's just a symbol we understand.

That said, I think Bayformers are going overboard on the robot abs... I'm getting kind of sick of that style.

zmog

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno - I think it would be more heroic for a fat guy to get off his wobbly arse and save the world than some ripped guy. Who's made more effort? Has the abs guy had to resist that cake and put down his games console controller? Nope, all he's had to do is take his shirt off and apply a little oil. :p 
    I find someone easily equipped to physically take on the world less interesting than some chubster trying to be the hero.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Hahaha!

But the person in great shape had to make all the effort preemptively, so he would be ready when the time came to be heroic. That takes more effort and discipline. The fat guy is just leaving everything to the last minute out of laziness, and then stumbling through it.

I find it sort of hilarious that the "unlikely hero" archetype has become so much of a common cliche now that it is in danger of becoming our default definition of just "hero". ;) 

And let's face it... that only appeals to us because we ARE bunch of slackers with delusions of grandeur. That Kung-Fu Panda "chosen one" nonsense is just to make us feel better about being lazy and irresponsible, because we can tell ourselves that we have some sort of inner "strength of character" that makes us all great. The sad truth is that we're just a bunch of losers with no discipline, who probably couldn't to rise to any such heroic challenge. People who play 20th level Paladins are all just compensating for their own failings. :lol 

zmog