RoboCop

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Insane Galvatron, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Just watched the movies. I had seen the first two, but not since they were new. 3 was new to me. Robots = cool. Ninjas = cool. Robot ninjas = no words to describe the awesomeness. However, I was disappointed in the fight scene. You'd have thought there would be more fighting.

So afterward I decided to check deepdiscount.com to see how much the TV series on DVD would be.

It wasn't listed. However, there was a listing for about 4 movies called RoboCop: Prime Directives. What are these movies? Why have I never heard of them? Are they good? Is the series available on DVD?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Robocop: Prime Directives was a 4 part TV Miniseries / TV Movie series that aired on (I believe) the Sci-fi Channel and the Space Network a couple years ago. Its basically the story of Robocop, still in service 10 years after his activation, and much as in the first movie, deals heavily with him interacting with people from his previous life, who for the most part have no idea he's Alex J. Murphy. Each movie stands on its own pretty well, but they also do tie into eachother.

It's got more of a spaghetti western kind of feel to it than previous Robocop films, and the style is a little closer to the Canadian live action TV show than the movies, but even though the production values aren't amazing, if you liked the Robocop sequels, you'll probably like Prime Directives.

Apparently they were released on DVD, but I dont know how hard they are to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop:_Prime_Directives
    (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The Prime Directive TV movies are compilations or sequels of the TV series, I think...But they aren't supposed to be that good, from what I heard.

Also, watched Robocop 2 and 3 lately. Good lord were they bad. Robocop 2 was like the director wanted to copy the first Robocop but completely missed the point with everything it did...Not to mention that it had a sloppy, crappy mess of a story. And 3...Just felt like a bad kid's movie. And yes, normally robot ninjas are usually awesome, but they were just cringeworthy in 3. The first Robocop will always be one of my favourite movies, though. And at least 2 offered a sweet, sweet killer robot in the form of Cain.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you don't wanna buy 'em, all four are available on Netflix. If nothing else, you can just do the month long free trial and see 'em.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The original Script wasn't so bad it actually made more sense. It was written by Frank Miller. They released it as a comic not to long ago.

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Oh? Might have to hunt that down....

And Frank Miller really can't catch a break, can he?:lol 

7. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

I was able to get the 4 Prime Directive movies off Amazon so you can try there if you are interested in them.

It does have a closer feel to the TV series because the producers of these films got the rights from the companies that held the TV distribution of Robocop and not the actual film rights (Which is why ED-209 is not featured).

8. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I got a boxset of them over here a few years back. I really enjoyed them, they were fun mini films. Though Robocop being my height (about 5'9") made him a little less intimidating...

9. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Ya that was a major let down, you have a character who is supposed to be physically intimidating and he need to look up at just about everybody. :) 

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Robocop 3 was better than 2 I thought. Either way, its a decent trilogy. Here's hoping for Robocop vs. terminator

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I have to agree that Roboshort in Prime Directives was dissapointing. The miniseries wasn't too bad, but they really needed to have gotten somebody else to play Murphy/Robocop.

The 90s TV series wasn't bad. Certainly better than the third movie.

Can't say I've been much of a fan of the third Robocop movie. Not just the weak script, but also the guy they got to replace Peter Weller. (now Professor Peter Weller) managed to not look like Robocop even while wearing the suit, and seemed to spend most of the movie trying (and failing) to sound like Weller's Robocop.

12. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Robocop fell apart starting at the second film. Notice at the end of the first, he's declared that he IS Alex Murphy, and not a machine.

Second film comes and suddenly he's "I'm a robot now, Murphy is gone, I can't see my family, boo hoo woe is me". Truth be told I liked the 3rd movie more than the 2nd as they seemed to focus more on a human story than on deathbots and body count. Even if continuity between movies is piss poor.

I'd watch a Robocop vs Terminator movie if they made it though.

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, I saw the first 2, but I never knew a third existed. Shows what I know huh? I may have to netflix these.

14. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I love Robocop movies. While RC 3 is not that bad, rather average, RC 2 is great, and Robocop is just awesome. Kurtwood Smith is absolutely great as Clarence Bodicker.

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

You do know that he's the lab guy making the drug in that trailer. He's even called Frank.

16. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Robocop=Full of win

17. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

First 2 Robocop movies = simply great (gotta love Kurtwood Smith in the first movie)

3rd Robocop movie = a complete disappointment (I hated it when they killed off Murphy's partner)

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The third movie was terrible. The only good part was that they gave Robo a jetpack. That thing was awesome.

The first is still the best and the unrated is awesomely bloody. The second was okay. Not great, not bad. And someone mentioned the comic book by Miller a few years back. That was pretty bad actually. Maybe because it ws done by Avatarr but still.

And Prime Directives is corny but entertaining. My big issue, as mentioned, is that Robocop is like 5'9". Then they make the black Robocop and he's like 6'3". There are a lot of "Mediabreak"s becuase the whole series focuses on the fact that Detroit is becomming fully automated (like skynet in Terminator) and some people are trying to stop it and some are pushing it forward.

What I want to hunt down is the cartoon series.

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I loved Robocop II - III was meh though.