RoboCop Reboot Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 20, 2011.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Earlier this month, we received word that Joe Padilha ("Elite Squad" films) was in talks to direct the RoboCop reboot at MGM, but it looks like he's been on board for a while. A week later it was also reported that Josh Zetumer will write the script for the film.

Director Joe Padilha Talks RoboCop : Director Joe Padilha Talks RoboCop - ComingSoon.net

Q: How are the RoboCop negotiations?
    Joe Padilha: It is about doing a new movie, and we're working on it at the moment, and the negotiations are closed already.

Q: It is already closed?
    Padilha: It has been a while!

Q: Really? We received that news only on March 1st, but it seems like you've been talking about it for some time, is that correct?
    Padilha: Yes, we're already working on the screenplay and everything...

Q: This is something that can work out really well or... I mean, because there's a lot of expectations around this, how are your expectations?
    Padilha: I have no concerns about it. I only work on movies when it feels right, when I add something of my own way of portraying things. I make movies for myself and I don't feel nervous, I have no problem with expectations, and if the movie is going to work or not. I just look forward to keep its integrity and directing it the best way I can, all the rest doesn't concern me.

Q: MGM was looking for a globally appealing director. Why do you think they chose you?
    Padilha: I don't know. I think they saw my movies and felt there was something there that could bring to the present day this controversial, yet different, violent movie which is RoboCop without misrepresenting it.

Q: So when can we expect RoboCop to come out?
    Padilha: It's a project I'm developing from the very beginning together with Josh Zetumer, which is the screenwriter, and there's no deadline really. When the screenplay turns out good enough, then we will start shooting.

YouTube - JOSÉ PADILHA diz q já esta trabalhando no ROBOCOP

I'm a fan of RoboCop... let's see how this is going to be. :thumbs2: 

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Considering what kind of movies come out of politicaly correct, "cheap thrills ahoy" Holywood I don't have my hopes up. Just think about what made Robocop 1 & 2 such good movies, I don't think such things would pass in today's Holywood.

3. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I really don't see a point to this.

RoboCop was one of those 80s films that was so stupid that it was awesome. But people have changed since the 80s, tastes and perspectives have changed. If they try to do it exactly like the original, it will bomb. If they tried to update it for a modern audience, the hardcore fans who remember the original will retaliate against it. It's a lose lose concept.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The original Robocop is many things, but after watching it a few times, stupid isn't one of them. Not from my observations anyway.

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    wooooo!!!!!!

count me in!

Robocop FTW!

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

From a diehard fan perspective, I suppose. But if you honestly watch the movie, unbiased, it is completely laughable as a concept. But like I said, it's also all played completely straight. So it ends up being awesome.

And then of course there was the whole social commentary angle of the film that really made you think, when you're 13.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, we're pretty much left with a cop being made into a cyborg. That's still cool, but it's not what made the first two Robocop movies cool.

Sadly, things like this do pass in Hollywood because of the whole "we gotta reboot everything that was made before!" thinking.

Yep. It's so odd how the first movie became such a masterpiece of a film. Seriously, there is just a lot of things about how to make a film well that Robocop can school. I learn something cool about movies and about this movie every single time I watch it.

It's not really so stupid it's awesome, but it's really a stupid movie if not done really, really well. Robocop 3 starts to teeter-totter on that, which is one of the many reasons it is so different from the first two.

Also no Weller = FAIL/discussion

Yep, it's quite the opposite. It's a very intelligent film done masterfully. When people look on the surface, it's easy to think it's stupid.

It's one of the few movies that laughs hard at itself without really letting the viewer in behind the curtain. Even with all of the dark humor that's hard to get. The first one did it well, and the second film really went overboard with it.

"It's just a glitch."

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I never saw any of that until I read some stuff about Paul Verhoven himself, although I do rather love the movie's pitch black humour at times.
    In fact, the necessity for that kind of humour and violence may well be the movie reboot's largest stumbling block. To wit:

Robocop: a fine example of the genre done right: some clever social satire, humour as black as the ace of spades, and like Inglorious Basterds, the violence is snappy and sudden bar the really drawn out death scene Murphy gets at the beginning. End result, a well loved cult classic and genre favourite.

Robocop 2: the trouble this movie had was with its approach rather than content, since it is largely a rather logical continuation of the Robocop concept but there was a lack of something that meant the effect wasn't as good and was not helped by the ludicrous concept of Hob, the snot nosed brat turned drug kingpin negotiating with the mayor and believing we'd feel sorry for him when he was turned into human Swiss cheese. End result, a bad movie that apparently turned Frank Miller off Hollywood.

Robocop 3: A PG-13 rating, ham fisted dialogue, a cute playful child hacker and robot ninja's dispatched by a Japanese Zaibatsu who had bought OCP. The End was Nigh at the rating, and the series well and truly given the coup de gras by the time the end credits rolled. The jetpack, and the scenes concerning it however, were fucking awesome.

So what we do we go? Transformers was turned into a lucrative PG-13 franchise with largely minimal changes to its core philosophy (my personal complaints not withstanding), but can Robocop do the same? Is the time right for a well written, Hard MA/R rated adult action franchise?

I don't know, but it will be interesting to find out.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    "Hob" was actually one of the greatest aspects about Robocop 2. One of the failures of the movie was taking Frank Miller's original script and butchering it. The success that came out of that however, is nearly a miracle of a movie. I still find it near to impossible that such an event took place - it's a very odd dynamic of an occurrence. Robocop 3 would have most likely greatly benefited from such as well. And Weller.

Robocop 2 is in the same boat the first film was in years ago - under-appreciated, overlooked, and written off, only to be looked at from the surface.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I still find it less enjoyable than the original, perhaps if Verhoven had directed, Mr. Miller's script (which he turned into a rather good comic) would not have suffered so much?

To each his own though.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think if Verhoven had been on board, it would have been a much better movie. Still, we're left to evaluate what we have. We have a miracle of a movie that could have ended up like the train wreck of Robocop 3 - and even then Robocop 3 is mediocre. I think it's all quite a feat.

Also, thread prompted me to change my siggy once again. :D 

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I largely agree about Robocop 3, aside from the jetpack stuff, that was awesome.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Oh goodness, that was one of the most awesome parts. Where Robocop 3 failed and failed miserably was exactly what was discussed earlier with the reboot. It's not enough to just have "dark humor" in a movie, especially if it's just forced in.

I just can't fathom seeing how this would translate well in today's world. I don't think we will, either. Many of the things that made the Robocop movies cool were a direct result of the time of when it was made. It's not just another "franchise" just waiting to be remade.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Always enjoyed RoboCop. I even have the rather lacklustre television series and Tv movie sets on DVD.
    As long as the satire and dark humour remains in a new version I'll give it a shot. Although they better not fuck with the design of Robo. And if he becomes a kung-fu ninjabot I'll be pissed.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

That's what I was basically saying. The concept of the film itself is so laughably cheesy that it only just works by the fact that it's played completely straight faced. I mean honestly watch RoboCop, the guy walks around like he has a poll up his bum and he's suppose to be some kind of advanced crime fighting cyborg? The whole movie is ridiculous scifi camp. But it works because it's actually laughing at itself without announcing that it is. And through that, the goofy camp side of it actually becomes kind of awesome.

I would agree that RoboCop 2 lost some of that subtlety, though I still kind of enjoy it. It's still one of the few old films that has stop motion effects that still impress me to this day.

RoboCop3 is where it all fell apart. The subtlety was gone, and all that was left was the campy cheese.

We do...go...What?

I'm not sure how TF relates. TF was a kids cartoon show/toy line that grew into a bigger franchise. RoboCop kind of went backwards as it started out as a edgy R rated scifi/action film that devolved into a kids franchise.

I'd say no. With how PC our society is these days, a R rated campy scifi action film would probably just get scoffed at. Especially being a reboot of an older film.

Exactly.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    started re-watching the old Alpha Commando cartoon because of this thread

DAVID SOBOLOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3

lol xD

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think I meant to say 'what do we do?'.

As for TF, I was comparing concept; TF is (according to most) a cheesy concept, yet it built a successful film franchise despite that.

Although I agree Robocop may not enjoy the same success due to its very bleak, adult level satire and humour. I would like them to try, though. It would be kind of nice to have an actual adult film series to enjoy (Think the intellectual level of District 9).

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is just something special about a lot of 80's action/sci fi movies that can never be recaptured no matter how hard they try.

The greatest part about them was that they dared to be original, creative, and completely absurd at times.

I have no faith in a new Robocop film.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I can kind of see what you mean. But to me Transformers is in a different category then RoboCop. Transformers is more in tune with a franchise like Batman. Started out really campy, but lends itself well to being reinvented.
    RoboCop was built on the whole concept of being intentionally campy for the sake of being camp mixed with mature action and dark humor.

I would be happy to be proven wrong and see them pull it off. But the thing that makes me think otherwise is that after RoboCop3 the movies became a fanchise that got dumbed down so it could be sold to younger audiences. I'd be willing to bet that the film studios probably want the same for the reboot.

Hope that never actually happens to District 9. :p ...Though I would like some toys.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Robocop 3 has grown on me some, admittedly. There are still some things there, but it's just not the quality film R2 was, let alone the masterpiece R1 was. Want only one reason to watch it? Robocop driving the pimpmobile. I think that's one of the greatest things on film.