Robin of Sherwood

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Murasame, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Anybody remember the series from the 80s? Original Robin was Michael Praed as Robin of Sherwood and in season 3 it is Jason Connery as Robert of Huntingdon.

I watched the series as a child and I remembered only very few moments from the series apart from the feeling that I loved the show. I remember when they changed Robin I was angry and upset that they now had a "false" Robin :lol 

But later I liked him too.

I started rewatching the series a few days ago and I'm now nearly finished with season 2.

What came to my mind is, that Guy of Gisbourne is somehow like Starscream! :D 
    And Nasir played by Mark Ryan is like Bumblebee (hurr durr) as he seldomly speaks ;) 

Nah, ok. I just needed something to mention Mark Ryan. I always thought "where do I know his name from?" when I googled him I realized that he was Bumblebee in TF1 ;) 

But it is really funny how Starscream-like Guy of Gisbourne is. I had to laugh when I realized their similarities in scheming, betraying, wanting to be free and desire to take over the Decepticons uuh I mean, be the Sheriff of Nottingham, because he thinks he is the better man!

2. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I loved the show. Parts of it look very cheap now (British TV shows often do and this was the 1980's) but it still pisses all over dross like Kevin Costner's horribly Americanised drivel or the shameful recent BBC series.

I really liked the decision to up the King Arthur style mythos surrounding Robin and add elements of the supernatural - but only in a small way so that the show never lost it's historical setting.

It also had fabulous atmospheric music by Celtic oddbodds Clannad which added to the feel of the show enormously.

We all wanted to be Nasir when I was a kid - he had two swords!

Never really got into the Jason Connery Robin though. Praed was MY Robin.

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I absolutely loved this show when I was a kid. I've got the season sets on dvd but am probably going to sell them so I can get the blu-ray set when it comes out.

It had all the right elements. I was already a fan of Robin Hood from the Disney movie with a fox as Robin Hood, but this made it cool with all the mystical elements and the awesome music. And I loved his sword - Albion. Praed made an awesome Robin, and I loved his Steve Perry haircut. LOL My only regret is that the show ended as abruptly as it did.

"Robin... the hooded man." Cool.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    The music by clannad is really cool. I love the battle theme and I still had the series theme all these years in my mind.

I wish there were shows like this today!

Sometimes Nasir reminds me of Silent Bob with swords :lol 

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Absolutely!

I've got the first season on DVD, it's a great series and that last episode is one of the best written shows, period. Also the Clannad music is great; it doesn't hurt that my mom was a Clannad (and later Enya) fan.

It's also my favorite verion of the Robin Hood story, even if at times it's pretty easy to make fun of. I enjoyed the series when I was a kid and I've enjoyed it as an adult.