Roberto Orci Talks About Transformers: Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, May 22, 2010.

1. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I absolutely, utterly adored the MIB animated series.

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Some of Klein's credits as an animation producer are noteworthy, but his animation writing credits look suspiciously thin.

And Klein's own credits on IMDb are not even close to being reflective of "some of the most successful TV Cartoon Shows in the past." The "successful" ones are mostly shows for the toddler demographic and they aren't exactly "high quality." And the more notable shows he helped produce are still not what I would consider to be among the "the most successful TV cartoon shows in the past." The Jackie Chan Adventures lasted for like 5 seasons, and MiB: The Series lasted for 4. But while Extreme Ghostbusters was a quality series, it was not successful and was canceled after one season.

Of all the shows Klein has worked on, I can only give props to four: Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot (loved!), Men in Black: The Series (loved!), Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles (loved!), and Extreme Ghostbusters (didn't "love" it, but I did enjoy it). And I still would not credit these among "the most successful" shows in the past.

But of course I'm still going to watch this show. I'm not going to reject it outright just because one of the show's writers seems to lack actual episode-writing credits other than working as a series developer. It's enough for me already that Cullen and Welker are returning.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And I suppose that Skyfire taking it directly in the chest, causing him to need repairs isn't non-violent?

Or Brawn getting blasted in the face?

Swarms of Insecticons being destroyed?

Or B.A.T.s geting blasted left and right?

I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

4. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Umm, I'm pretty sure none of those cartoons were successful. Matter of fact I know Ghostbusters fans ridicul Extreme Ghostbusters as one of the worst things to ever happen to Ghostbusters, much the same way GI Joe fans talk about that dvd movie that came with the toys about 7 years ago, and how the DiC series was pretty bad compared to Real American Hero. Or how we view Gobots to Transformers. Extreme Ghostbusters wasn't good, and none of those shows had any great reviews... pfft I don't even remember some of them existing.

5. Rodimus

Or Prime being blown up to bad shape and stuck on the repair bed clinging for his life several times. Divide and Conquer was pretty bad for Prime, and there were a couple other episodes like that too.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

A cartoon that had violence, tho not explicity one was Exo-Squad. You knew those ships and mechs that got blown up, had people (and aliens) inside them. Thy did not showed it explity tho.

I hope this cartoon can pull that off.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Yeah, but the characters had big cartoony chins, so it doesn't count. :p 

Seriously though, TFA did have some pretty "dark" moments for anyone who bothered to actually watch the show.

8. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

And those worked so well that DC pulled the plug on them...

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Hm, so Ghostbusters have Geewunners too.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Violence matters in the context of the maturity that you're projecting onto the cartoons you grew up with when it has dramatic impact (like Rhinox having his arm torn off, or Hot Shot, Scattershot, and Red Alert being put on life support after Megatron wastes them), even if you know they're going to still be around by the next episode.

Generally, drones and lifeless automatons such as BATs being destroyed left and right doesn't matter, that's just visceral explosions, like nameless, faceless, personality-less Movie Decepticons buying it in ROTF.

For the most part, damage in The Transformers cartoon had relatively little dramatic impact.

11. Rodimus

That's probably because after the 2nd or 3rd time when we saw them (characters like Optimus Prime) get healthy and come back by the end of the episode to save the day, or to show up the next episode looking shiney and new again (like Megatron and the Decepticons several times, Ex: after Heavey Metal War), we just got used to it and started expecting them to magicly be OK. And I also think that is why the original movie in 1986 had so much dramatic effect when they all died. They weren't comming back then. It affected alot of kids/transformers fans. We had gotten so used to taking them for granted for being OK the next episode, that when the time came that they actually died, it was a traumatic shock to some kids.

BTW, Prowl had the coolest/most violent looking death scene of them all. (Well, you could count Wheeljack and Windcharger but we never saw them die. We just saw their mangled corpses.) Prime gets the most dramatic award though.