Roadbuster v. Bumblebee size comparison

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jericho, May 12, 2011.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice to see the price has stayed the same and the figures are smaller...

[​IMG]

2. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want a complete autobot collection of move characters, but the way these are now I might have to go for HA for most of em /: deluxes dont seem worth it.

3. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Eh, I'm not really bothered by it. If it such a big deal, buy the new DOTM Bumblebee, I'm sure he'll be a bit smaller too.

Nothing is ever to scale with these toys, so you basically have to take what you get. Or not get anything at all. I don't know, your choice.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I would rather have a smaller mold if it means improved design and paint apps.

5. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I mean, the robot mode for Roadbuster is very nice, minus the lack of paint detail. He's quite posable in the leg region and the transformation is nifty. Also, even though there is back kibble, I'm really not bother by it because it doesn't shift around every time you touch the toy. It remains locked in one place and I'm glad to see that.

6. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    People, it's because of the MechTech. *sigh*

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Shame that that isn't the case then eh?

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Same amount of plastic, only some of it goes into the weapon. How can people still not understand this. If it's not your cup of tea, avoid the toyline like others have.

However, in local stores they are actually selling the deluxes for more; they seem to assign the prices almost randomly so they said "hey, these come with a weapon so let's charge more for them!" and that is plain wrong, so i'm avoiding those overpriced deluxes. Voyagers are the same, though.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a graduate student in the sciences, it's hysterical to me what people think is relevant in establishing a trend.

Counter-example: Classics Bumblebee and Generations Drift. LOOK HOW MUCH BIGGER THE FIGURES ARE GETTING. If anyone of you whiners put half as much effort into actually testing your hypothesis as you do screaming about it, you might have really contributed something.

Mind you, even if Deluxes were using a slightly smaller amount of plastic on average since 2007, it would not have any impact for me and I'd imagine most people. I'm not that much of a penny-pincher. IMO, in the short time I've been collecting, play-value and engineering have been on an upward trend.

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    it doesn't. Well, not in this case anyway.

It's because they have a movie out to hype them. During Reveal the Shield, demand was down, so we got lower prices.

11. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Not the case for TRU, surprisingly. I use to collect LEGOs and TRU would always charge $5 - $10 more on each set. Now it seems the tables have turned regarding Transformers. Hasbro's online store has Deluxes priced at $11.99, where as my recent purchase from TRU website was $10.99 ea. Not a whole lot cheaper, but still something.

12. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see anyone screaming. I put up a picture for people to see the difference between a TF07 BB and DOTM Roadbuster. Settle down.

As for the DOTM BB being in the same scale, I'm pretty sure the DOTM BB is the same mold they've been using, just new nose and wing. The rest of him looks identical.

As for the price, Roadbuster was 9.98 at WM despite the 11.98 price tag.

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    No, I really mean chilean stores assign prices randomly. I'm not kidding, not only every figure is at least 2x the USA price as a general rule, some deluxes in the same wave can have different prices because the store thought it looked a bit bigger, I've even seen some identical figures with a slight price difference. It's really silly.

14. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    It is not the same mold. They had to compensate for completely new arms which don't have the roof panels on them anymore. The chest is different as well. They also needed to work in the Mech Tech gun, so obviously stuff needed to be changed so the gun can be plugged in during vehicle mode.

15. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Weird. Also seems like they'd be making life more difficult for themselves that way. I can understand different toys in the same wave having different prices... for example there's a lot more demand for Windcharger than other scouts in that wave, but if they're just doing it by size that doesn't make much sense.

I believe the mold bears similarities to Battle-Blades BB, but is mostly all-new. I think it's the same size in vehicle mode, but shorter in botmode.

16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    This happens with everything. I caught the end of 60 Minutes one time and what's-his-name was pointing out all these items from a grocery store that were in the same packages as before, selling for the same price as before, but containing less items (evidenced by the lower weight).

When I see Camaros on the road, they look like pretty big cars. Maybe these are actually in scale to each other...

17. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I'm still fiddling with the idea of getting DOTM Bumblebee. I like how he has the new arms n such, but I may try to get BB Bumblebee instead. Same thing, plus you get the fold out hand cannon and battle mask.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to jump on you, but you're not the first person to say something about this. Kudos for being the first person to even have one decent point of data.

If this is a trend, I'd wager it is all about the MechTech. If there's a larger trend, it's the price of oil, which is only going to get higher in the long term.

It's still interesting how people who think this is relevant should be weighing the things, yet no one does so. It's all height, or something width and breadth. Guess Lockdown is the best value for my money!

Bumblebee is totally, 100% new.

So far only a couple Japan exclusives have added MechTech to existing molds IIRC.

As for price, I'm sorry to hear it Jericho. I don't believe MechTech affects the price of deluxes here, they always ping-pong between ~$10 and $12.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    You put up a picture and said this:
    Do you have a point?

You seem to be implying it's a "ripoff" that the price is the same but the figures are smaller.

To wit:

So did you have some other point to the post? Or do you have any response to this?

The "figure" is smaller, but a large accessory is included in the package. The total "toy" in the package is pretty similar. Although there will always be high & low outliers like the Classics Bumblebee and Generations Drift examples.

And even more apparent-but-not-real discrepancies when only 1 dimension(robot mode height) of a TF is used and guys like ROTF Lockdown(skinny, bulk all stretched out, thus a tall robot) are compared to guys like Generations Thunderwing(lots of bulk in weapons, drone, wings/jet-backpack, thus a short robot)

20. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I've been a Bumblebee completist, so I'll probably get both new DOTM molds. I can sort of justify it to myself because there's differences in the sculpt and mid-torso transformation.

If I just had to choose one out of all the Bummblebees so far, I'd lean more towards BB Bumblebee. Better gimmicks, and at the moment you may be able to get one on clearance if you look around.