Roadbots...are they worth getting ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tanleeseng, Aug 5, 2007.

1. tanleeseng

tanleeseng Well-Known Member

Hey all. Does anyone here got themself one of those Roadbots from Happywell ? I saw the Lamborghini at one of my local toy store but have doubts on getting it. I am worried about the quality (flimsiness/easily detachable parts) and articulation (especially elbow & knee joints) of these figures. Really appreciate your suggestions and if possible please provide some pictures which demonstrate the articulation of these Roadbots for reference.

Thank You.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    The quality is good, articulation is about standard with comparably-sized figures. All rachet joints, no ball joints. Nothing getting in the way... Weapons can be a bit bulky at times, but generally speaking are ok... (I have the Hummer, everything else is working off memory). If the price is right (around $20 USD) pick it up... You won't be disappointed.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not a fan. I grabbed a coupla for cheap of the ones in the scale's just above and below 1/24. I wanted them to match up with my Alts, and it just doesn't work. The larger ones are kinda cool, but overall the QC and lack of articulation kept me from getting any more.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

They're pretty good quality... maybe not quite as good as Hasbro, but much better than KO's. I have 3 big ones (hummer, lamborghini, landcruiser) and 2 of the small ones (pajero and ford gt), and the quality control is fine. No issues that way.

Articulation is generally good too. Again, not current Hasbro quality, but good. The transformations are reasonably complex, and although the robot modes can be a bit awkward, they hold up well.

My only real complaint about them is the fact that they are parts-formers... big time! You have to remove large chunks of the smaller ones, and quite a few pieces from the big ones to complete the transformations... a big turn off for me. The only exception to this rule is the Toyota Landcruiser, which doesn't require parts rearranging. It's the only one with a "perfect" transformation, though it's also the simplest design (and as it turns out, my favourite one).

Other than that, the big ones really are BIG. They don't match Alternators at all, though they look pretty good on display with their own kind. The car detail is really excellent... about par with Alternators I'd say. If you get a fair price on them, I'd say go for it... but only if you have space to display them! :) 

zmog

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Ask Razerwire. *snicker*

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

If I could find the 1/18 H2 for $20 I would grab it. Other then that they don't really interest me.

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The H2 rocks hard. I love it to death. Just go in knowing it's a parts-former.

I'll also give love to the 1-18 Mitsubishi. Very cool.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ive seen these in person. the size just puts me off. theyre hella big!

9. switchgear

switchgear Nasty Slaphead

In a weird way we just got lucky in the UK as Argos have listed the 1/18 H2 Hummer with "free" 1/32 Ford GT in stores. I already had the Supra in 1/18 and yeah it's bigger than the Alts but its kinda cool despite the removable/reattachable parts.

Now the Hummer is in my hands I am being sidetracked along the cut and shut route of making a Alt Megatron or Ultra Magnus out of him with the help of a cheap Alt Swindle and some Bionicle joints...

10. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're great for kitbashing. But they are too big

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I think the quality is crap (cheap plastic, loose joints... overall rubbish quality control), to be perfectly honest.

They may be okay if you're never handled a TF in your life - and the vehicle modes are decent, but the robot mode is absolute pants.

12. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Are the big ones in scale with GIJoe 25th?

13. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Yup. Joes (and Star Wars / Microman / Micronauts, etc) are 1/18th scale... just like the large Cr... errrr, Happywell toys.

14. tanleeseng

tanleeseng Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic len_d69. The hip joints look a little rigid but other than that the quality looks good for a KO toy. I think I will go with the Lamborghini cause it look the least like an Alternator rip-off.

15. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I have the Lambo, and I have to say... meh. His shoulders are G1 style "rotate forward and back" style. No outward flex. His bot mode looks incredibly stocky and dull. The lambo mode is nice looking, but his bot mode loses a lot of play value for its general stiffness and "meh" look.

I'd say give them a pass unless you're looking for something to spend money on.

16. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Have you ever seen those magnetic ones? I think there's three of em. Each have a very Tokyo Drift paint style. Does the robot to car thing, but I think the joints are magnetic alike the magneforce microman figures, but bigger.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

To off-set this opinion, let me reiterate that Road-Bots are OK. To call them "crap" is probably an overstatement. I've got 5, and I've had no QC issues with any of them (many people have fared less well with Hasbro TF's :)  )

If you've handled a KO before, you'll realize that RoadBots are actually pretty good quality. Happywell makes a lot of KO robot products, which are decent by KO standards, but the Road-Bots are a cut above. Better plastic, better construction.

But even with great car modes, the engineering is lazy compared to TFs. The parts-forming and little quirks with the robot modes are issues for some people (myself included). In the Lamborghini for example, although the robot mode has tons of points of articulation, there's an awkwardness, due to kibble and the wonky proportions of the final robot.

zmog

18. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Where can you get these things? I would probably be interested in picking some of these up for a little kitbashing...

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    www.agesthreeandup.com
    www.bigbadtoystore.com
    www.digital-toys.com
    All of them either stocked or had pre-orders up at one time, i haven't checked in a while...

And then there's ebay

20. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

^ And then there's www.tfsource.com as well.... pretty sure they're still in stock.