Roadbot Review (help)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TwoKingMick, May 5, 2006.

1. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

I need better pictures!

http://www.oeoetoy.com/RoadBotGoods.asp?code=EVOLUTION

I just gave into temptation and shelled out around $32 dollars for the latest Happy Well Road Bot, the Mitushibishi Evo VIII. For anyone who’s not familiar with them, the road bots are 1:18 scale, alternators style, fully licensed cars that transform into robots. The word knock off has been used to describe them, and I would have agreed with that, before I bought this one to play around with.

Apologies to everyone, but I have no set up for taking nice photos, so some web cam shots and some stolen photos will have to do.

First things first, the packaging. The toy is packed in robot mode, standing quite tall. The box itself is metallic grey with a big Roadbot logo. The robot and all his accessories are displayed quite well, although the packaging does make him look a little like a part former. The front of the box has a nice photo of the toy in car mode, the side has some very nice artwork of the robot mode, and the back has nice photos of both modes. In particular the back shows that all those random car parts visible do connect to the fully transformed robot. One thing of note is that the working lights and sound gun has a “please try me” hole. The card has to be ripped off to free the toy. All in all a nice package.

The instructions come on a folded A3 sheet of paper. The are full color, with photographs showing the steps. The accompanying text would be helpful, if you speak Korean. A very professional product.

Next up , car mode. The red finish is excellent, in fact much better than some of the red alts. The plastic used is a bit transparent in places, but its nothing too noticeable. He’s big in this mode, and his dimensions match a 1:18 scale evo perfectly, as you would expect. He feels exceptionally sturdy in this mode, and holds together really well. He lines up a good deal better than the skids I have to compare him to.

[​IMG]

He comes with nice transparent windows, a blacked out rear window, transparent headlights and taillights, chromed wheels and tailpipe, chromed Mitsubishi logos and rubber tires. He is definitely alt quality in regards to car mode accuracy. His front wheels move, it seems independently, but I think there is a mechanism there to line them up. His rear view mirrors are made of softer PVC and painted red and silver. Also of note is that he gas a small rubber antenna, just like Overdrive. All the doors, hood and trunk open. Under the hood is a great engine, with no alt op style hollowness.

His lights and sounds are great. On pressing a button on the hood you get the sound of a car starting up and revving three times, along with his brake lights flashing red. One of my favorite features that!

The attention to detail in car mode is astonishing, and definitely the highlight of the toy.

10/10.

The transformation is good stuff. This is the reason that I don’t consider these knock-off any more. Although he is a model car who transforms to a prowl like robot, the actual mechanisms are quite different. First off, a lot of things do detach. The hood, roof, engine, and rear doors detach. I though I would feel cheated, but I didn’t, no more than Overdrive or Decipticharge. Various parts of his “Energy Bow” are hidden in car mode and also detach. The gun itself is on the underside plate, ala Grimloch. The legs operate like a grim loch/prowl hybrid. The rear fender pulls out, and then you pull the back seats out and down to form the feet.

The arms are next. They don’t have a very alt feel to them at all. They rotate down from under the hood on some very loud clicky ratcheting joints. They lock into the chest. The arms then extend away from the body on a weird toothy rail system. Then you simply unfold the arms like any other alt, or alt winnable. Finally, flip the hood down and you have a full formed robot. The door wings are completely optional , they can be folded down flush with the body or go over his arms. Finally, finally, you pop his little metallic logo onto his chest/ hood. His rear doors attach to his windshield, giving him some back kibble, but its not too bad. His roof forms a shield. Everything else forms his snazzy weapon. Alt peashooter it is not.

From the front his robot mode looks great. His hood makes a great chest, and he has a very nice head sculpt compared to the other Roadbots. He does have some flaws. His hood doesn’t snap in so it can move around a little. Mine also has a floppy right leg, which can make posing him a little difficult. He is very big and imposing in this mode, about 12 inches, and looks very nice. I especially like how he has car mode detailing on his thighs. A great touch indeed. His knees are at his rear bumpers, so they are a little low down to be great. From a side view his legs are a little skinny, but they look good. Some big negatives are it’s head and hands. Both are molded of softer PVC, and his hands are locked in a closed position, so no fancy poses. Also both are on a cut style joint rather than balls, which give limited poses. His hips also aren‘t great, they are on a ball joint, but the square shape hinders the movement. No waist movement at all. His arms are on the strange new shoulder, with double elbows and a cut half ways. He has great elbows, probably my favorite part of robot mode.

His weapons in this mode are cool, all his spare parts become a great crossbow, and his shield looks good too. Now the light up feature causes the “energy bow” to light up, and two good laser sounds. A really cool weapon. Poor skids.

So robot mode looks great, but his articulation is about that of a deluxe figure. Not too bad.

[​IMG]

7/10

Overall I really like this guy. He looks amazing in car mode, and damn fine in robot mode. His engineering is not quite as good as an alt, but there are a lot of differences too. I really, really like him. I might pick up a few more. I certainly won’t consider them knockoffs anymore.

Overall 8/10

More pictures will follow soon I hope.

In the meantime does anyone know any good galleries of this guy?

PS. My girlfriend has decided his name shall be DoomMeister. I dare anyone to disagree with her.

Mick

2. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Where did you buy him? I'd love to get some Roadbots.

3. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

I live in korea. Every toy store here has tons of them.

4. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

I just added some admittedly rather poor photos. More to just give an idea of the size of this guy.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He looks cool, I want one.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I hope the rumors are true about Big Lots possibly carrying these in the future.

7. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Cool review!

By your description, this one is better than the Toyota Land Cruiser I have. Hope I'm able to find others here.

-airfox

8. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to buy more of these and sell them to us in the Junkion Exchange. This thread will self destruct in 10 seconds.