[RMF-3] Semifinal #2: #1 Hun-Grrr vs #13 Steeljaw

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 10, 2009.

?

[RMF-3] Semifinal #2: #1 Hun-Grrr vs #13 Steeljaw

Poll closed Sep 12, 2009.
  1. Hun-Grrr

98.0%
  2. Steeljaw

2.0%
  1. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Yes, but unlike Doublecross, Hun-Grrr's "heads" would always get along. Like two best friends.

Doublecross's figure was solid. Just wish he had hands for his cool rifle. I never liked the "floating" weapon effect.

I also never liked the Autobots having "monsters".

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

You know, while you guys all argue and debate with really long posts and whatnot, i'm just gonna do the sensible thing and vote for Hun-grr.

I mean, really? A cassette bot taking down Hungrr, with that firepower?

3. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    Yes but, if I just voted without belaboring my points then I'd be stuck spending more time actually working.

*shudder*

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

"Cassette bot" is really an irrelevant term. Steeljaw is actually more powerful than most car/truck/tank/jet bots.

But his Firepower does suck, and at close quarters he wouldn't have the resilience to go tooth-and-nail with Hun-Grrr.

What he said! :) 

zmog

5. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Hun-grr takes it. I am surprised steeljaw even made it so far. Hats off to the cat.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Smog has it right there Steeljaw was lucky enough to get a an advantageous enviroment to fight in and it helped him take down his first 2 foes but its just not enough to get him past Hun-grr who would basicly ignore the enviroment and smash his way through so sadly i must vote against Steeljaw

Hun-grr gets my vote

7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I have to agree, upon consideration. When some of your assets are raw imbeciles like Blot or sadistic psychos like Rippersnapper and Cutthroat, having a functional processor is probably pretty important to get them to be useful in the larger arena; knowing when and where to deploy them, when to hold them in reserve, and when it's a good idea to combine into that big, destructive animal. I mean seriously, Abominus is lucky he knows which end of his gun to point at his targets, the 'cons are lucky he doesn't use it as a club. You need decent leadership skills to know when it's time to haul that out.

I like to think Hun-Grrr has a sense of humour. You'd sort of have to with the bunch he leads. "Stun rifle", yes.

The biggest problem with Steeljaw is that he's forced to take this to melee. So even if he can set up a good ambush, get in unseen (say, coming down on the Terrorcon's back from above), and get those teeth in, he's still right there with Hun-Grrr, who will attack back immediately and ferociously. If and when Steeljaw tries to break it off, he has the potential to take a few shots as he does so, before he can back to cover.

If Steeljaw shoots, all he's doing is revealing his position. I can see him maybe trying to use it to mislead Hun-Grrr, but the Terrorcon leader is very intelligent, and it's likely he wouldn't be misled by such a trick more than once, if that.

SMOG beat me to it. That's Doublecross's deal. Also, the "looking at each other" thing might be a reference. You never know. Larry Niven's Puppeteers express a sentiment like laughter by having each head look at the other. Or maybe the sentiment was similar coincidentally.

I never minded the Autobots having monsters. Look at the Monsterbots' personalities. Not exactly interested in blending in or not scaring people. I had Doublecross and Grotusque and I must agree, very solid figures. Much as I like insects, Bugly's figure never did it for me. Too bipedal and upright for my liking, I suppose.

The whole notion of groups of TFs having non-disguise modes actually did really appeal to me. Here we saw an example of not just hiding and other abilities, but forms that existed for purely functional reasons. It allowed them to vary their capabilities via transformation. Hun-Grrr is actually a prime example of this. He can't use his "eat-convert-spit" ability in robot mode, and he opens up a world of different melee possibilities as a dragon as well.

At least I hope there's no place in a sane universe where his beast mode is an effective disguise.

- Coeloptera

8. gil

gil Godmaster

We're seeing a bot with 8's in Strength and Inteligence, and 9's in Skill, Endurance, and Courage, getting completly shut out. Seriously, with stats like this you would expect a group leader bot, not a cassete.

With all the group leader bots in this tournament, Steeljaw drew a bad card and got Hun-Grrr. I don't think he would have been shut out with any of the other leaders (at least one vote). EDIT: Now that I think about it, most of the leaders should shut out Steeljaw too.

But this is aint the end yet, so Steeljaw may get one vote in. Chop Shop got a vote in against Motormaster just because the voter didn't think Chop Shop deserved to get shut out. So maybe Steeljaw will get a simpathy vote.

BTW, about Hun-Grrr's heads having their own personality and being "friends", that's different. Seems like all two-headed monsters with two personalities seem to always hate each other.

9. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I lol'ed at the differance in Firepower.
    Hun-Grrr ftw

10. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, fair or not, this one is apparently about how impossible it is to see a way Steeljaw can win. Note that I said, were it not for the staggering difference in firepower, I could potentially see it being possible. But with it...no chance.

But let this be a lesson to cassette-racists! Steeljaw and Ratbat stand proud as examples of what a little cassette can do.

- Coeloptera

11. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

Honestly I must say that barring unforeseen occurrences Hun-Grrr could take this tournament.

12. SMOG

:lol  Good points! Hun-Grr's intelligence is probably the only thing that (barely) allows the Terrorcons to be coherent at all as a team. And even so, Hun-Grr doesn't seem like the usual "smart" type. More like a decadent barbarian chief with a hidden surprisingly crafty and clever side.

Is there not a long TFU bio for Hun-Grr anywhere? Most of the Terrorcons have them, but not him for some reason. I'm sort of curious to know more about what his personality is supposed to be like.

Right. He can ambush. He can get his licks in. But even with his stealth skills, ability to deliver damage, and his skill, he just can't stick around and trade blows with Hun-Grr... and Hun-Grr is smart enough and fast enough that playing hit-and-run won't work forever.

I generally find it easier just to pretend Steeljaw has no gun at all. There's really not much point to even thinking about it. :p 

Plus he was a Pretender, so he sort of sucked by default. No, wait... you were thinking of Repugnus weren't you?

Honestly, I don't know why, but as soon as Transformers started bringing in the monster modes, I felt like it was a real downhill slide. I don't mind the Monsterbots as toys... I had Grotusque myself, and he was pretty cool in his way. One thing that really went out the window was good naming conventions. For some reason monsters mostly just got bad puns or stupid meaningless rhyming word conjunctions. Hun-Grr? Sinnertwin? Apeface? Fangry? Weirdwolf? Grotusque? Cindersaur? Bugly? I mean, really?

I guess it sort of paved the way for Beast Wars that way, didn't it? :) 

Well, not like the Dinobots and Insecticons (assuming giant bug modes) were exactly subtle either. :) 

The thing is that many people give characters they like a sympathy vote. Steeljaw isn't very well known, and many fans have no idea that he is so powerful, so he's not going to get many ill-considered fly-by votes. On the other hand, anyone who makes a point of really comparing the characters in depth will probably be forced to admit that Steeljaw would put up a surprisingly good fight, but there's just no chance he would actually win it.

I'm a big Steeljaw supporter, as anyone will tell you... but I still can't give him a fair chance against Hun-Grr.

Maybe. I think Whirl actually has the best chance against Hun-Grr. He's not quite as physically strong and tough (close though), but he does have the speed, maneuverability, firepower and the specialized weapons to do it, AND the skill to back all of that up.

Of course he won't win it, because the majority of voters probably won't look past Whirl's funny-looking robot mode and relative obscurity. :( 

zmog

13. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Whirl for the crown!!!

14. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    I'd imagine it's this -"F#%K you, I'm eating." :D 

15. SMOG

:lol  Yeah... that's kind of what I expected.

zmog

16. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, most of the Terrorcons didn't have a TFU long profile published. Only Blot and Cutthroat did. The Terrorcons were unfortunate victims of a sometimes chaotic publication of the supplemental profiles in the original Marvel comic (as was Wingspan, since his clone brother Pounce had his profile published).

Unfortunately, the long profiles that weren't published are probably all lost at this point. I don't credit either of the corporate entities involved (Hasbro and Marvel, of course) with enough foresight to preserve that unpublished material for the sake of history or any form of posterity. From the looks of things, nobody wrote any long profiles for TFs after Budiansky stopped in '89.

As to the match, I can't see any possibility for anything other than a win for Hun-Grrr. As noted, Steeljaw's Firepower won't do much of anything to Hun-Grrr.

That leaves Steeljaw going into melee, but it doesn't matter if he does it from ambush. Every time Steeljaw takes a bite out of Hun-Grrr, Hun-Grrr's going to take at least one in return (since he's got two shots at it). Then Steeljaw gets the piece that he lost back in the form of a home-made missile (Steeljaw will probably manage to dodge the majority of them, but still. Eeesh, Reverse-Junkion attack.

Even if Steeljaw avoids everything spat back at him, Hun-Grrr will run out of parts of Steeljaw to chew on, before Steeljaw does the same.

I really can't think of much of anything else to say about this match except:

"We are gathered here today for the scrap of metal that used to be Steeljaw. All of us here knew him wel--- What? What do you mean gone? Finish the job?! Why didn't you stop him? Oh, I didn't notice before, I just thought you had your arms behind your back. Well, I guess I was kind of right then. I mean, sticking out of your back is pretty much behind it, too. Alright, then. Everyone, refreshments are now being served in the banquet room, please proceed there in a quick and orderly fashion, please..."

17. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a really close match. :p 

18. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Still waiting for it....

19. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Nah, I'm just waiting for that one...you know, that one! That one who won't let this be a shutout because it "would be funny" or it "wouldn't be right". You know, that one. Oops, hope I didn't just curse us.

20. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Now it's on your shoulders Allsparky!