[RMF-3] Semifinal #2: #1 Hun-Grrr vs #13 Steeljaw

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 10, 2009.

?

[RMF-3] Semifinal #2: #1 Hun-Grrr vs #13 Steeljaw

Poll closed Sep 12, 2009.
  1. Hun-Grrr

98.0%
  2. Steeljaw

2.0%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Rocky Mountain Forest Contests: Semifinal

Semifinal #2: #1 Seed Hun-Grrr vs #13 Seed Steeljaw

Voting ends at 11:59 pm(CT), September 12th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/bosskdawg/tourny-2.jpg

Tournament History

How they got here:

Hun-Grrr defeated: Buzzsaw & Hotrod

Steeljaw defeated: Ransack & Nosecone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HUN-GRRR

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    SUB-GROUP: TERRORCON
    FUNCTION: TERRORCON LEADER

"Eat only what you need - destroy the rest."

Profile: He has two mouths to feed - his own - and spends most of his time doing it. Since his mouth is usually full, his orders are usually misinterpreted. Prefers eating non-living to living things... doesn't like anything that might still be wriggling about after he swallows it.

Abilities: Can refashion digested materials and spit them out as crude missiles. Has powerful sonic stun gun in robot mode. Combines with fellow Terrorcons to form Abominus.

Weaknesses: None Listed

STEELJAW

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: TRACKER

"What the eyes don't see, the nose knows."

Profile: When Steeljaw is on the hunt, his prey is as good as caught. His unyielding determination and tenacious pursuit combine to make him a truly formidable Autobot. He handles each mission with a cool professionalism born of the great confidence he has in his abilities. When he's not busy stalking Decepticons, he's likely to turn his attention to any scent that comes his way - the spoor of a mouse, the stench of a garbage truck, even the perfume of a young woman. This often results in a frightening surprise for his unsuspecting quarry. Steeljaw usually doesn't mean any harm on these occasions - he just likes his work so much that it's also his hobby.

Abilities: In lion mode, Steeljaw uses an array of chemical receptor microchips in his nose module to locate and follow scents. The array is sensitive enough to pick up chemical traces in the air as faint as one part per trillion. He has a range of 800 miles and requires little rest or maintenance. His jaw has tremendous strength; anyone caught in its grip would find it next to impossible to break. It can exert a force of 60,000 psi and can snap a foot-diameter steel cable. In cassette mode, Steeljaw can electromagnetize himself so he can adhere to ferrous objects. He uses this ability to hitch rides over long distances in a form that won't attract much attention.

Weaknesses: Steeljaw must avoid wet environments since his body is particularly vulnerable to rusting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech Spec Breakdown

Strength:
    Hun-Grrr:9 Steeljaw:8
    Intelligence:
    Hun-Grrr:8 Steeljaw:8
    Speed:
    Hun-Grrr:3 Steeljaw:2
    Firepower:
    Hun-Grrr:9 Steeljaw:1
    Skill:
    Hun-Grrr:6 Steeljaw:9
    Endurance:
    Hun-Grrr:10 Steeljaw:9
    Courage:
    Hun-Grrr:10 Steeljaw:9
    Hun-Grrr:9 Steeljaw:6

2. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    Ouch. Not much to debate here. Steeljaw takes it with his 9 skill.

*ducks*

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. ironarm

ironarm SHALL RETURN IN NOVEMBER

Hun-Gurr...TOTALLY!!

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hun-grr will make a quick snack out of the cassette bot.
    Especially if its a rainy day in the rocky mountain forrest.

5. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    is this even a contest?

a tape bot against a combiner leader....

6. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Hun-Grrr all the way. Steeljaw should have never made it out of the previous round.

7. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Wait for SMOG. He'll tell you why Steeljaw rules and so forth :D 

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Hun-Grr will savagely defeat the cat bot.

9. Evil Porkchop

Not even SMOG can justify giving a win to Steeljaw on this one.

10. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have to say that this isn't much of a match-up. I voted for Hun-Grrr.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm sure he can.

And I'm sure I'll disagree.

I'll admit they are a bit close in some stats but ultimately I think its going to be Hun-Grrr that takes it.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    the hunter becomes the prey i can't see any reasonable way that steeljaw can win but im going to withhold my vote until Smog has his say

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

So...what to say.

This is one of the largest gaps in a single stat we have seen, and it's in firepower. A difference of 8. Steeljaw is utterly outgunned.

So in addition to the Terrorcon having a slight edge in strength, speed, and endurance, Steeljaw's guns are essentially decorative. This one of the few cases wherein I can literally see one of the combatants' guns doing no damage whatsoever, even if they score a hit. A 1 firepower against a 10 endurance gives me that notion.

I voted for Nosecone, but could really see how Steeljaw can have taken it. I read some convincing stuff that it could have gone either way.

The skill difference of 3 means that the fight will be tougher for Hun-Grrr than he might initially think. Notice that, taking firepower aside they have an equal "numerical advantage" Hun-Grrr having strength, speed, and endurance and Steeljaw having that 3 edge in skill.

If they had equal stats in firepower, I could actually see that 3 skill making this about dead even. But unfortunately, the gap is huge.

Both have beast-modes, so the terrain is ideal. A lion and a dragon, it's almost like a fairy tale. But Hun-Grrr is slightly faster (I'd imagine because of the greater stride length his size would give him), and he has those two heads, meaning he's got a few more options when it gets up close and personal, as it must, considering Steeljaw has no dakka.

Hun-Grrr also has, at least, a slightly above-average level of skill plus a rather high intelligence, so he has some clue what he's doing. He's up against a highly skilled foe, but he has 11 points of "edge" in his favour. Hun-Grrr is also fast and smart enough to set the terms of the fight, engaging when, and at what range, he prefers.

We have seen ample evidence Hun-Grrr knows when to hang back and shoot in both comics and cartoons. His overwhelming advantage in this area means Steeljaw isn't going to get a moment's respite in this fight, being constantly barraged with rocks, blasts from the sonic stun gun, and physical assaults.

The cassette fought a really good fight, and he is frighteningly capable, but those pop guns killed him in this one. He may as well be using harsh language. At least he's going to end up tearing some good-sized chunks out of the Terrorcon leader's hide, though. Hun-Grrr will know he's been in a fight.

- Coeloptera

14. Evil Porkchop

I still believe that the 9 skill rating that Steeljaw has applies to his function as a Tracker. I would be willing to say that his combat skills could be a 7... but I think that is rather generous. So in that respect Steeljaw's combat skill is only slightly higher than Hun-grrr.

15. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Yeah I agree. And I think a 7 combat rating would be very generous. Hun-grrr may have a skill rating of 6, but it's an above average rating for eating people. Not just smelling them :)  And the 9-1 firepower difference combined with Hun-Grrr's 10 endurance rating pretty much ends it for Steeljaw.

Hun-Grr for the win.

I smell SMOG.....he's close.....

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Cool! You're finally coming around! One of us! One of us! One of us!

Well....:ev: 

Dammit! :confused2 

OK... you got me, OG. You got me. ;) 

More unsubstantiated anti-cassette bias, I see. :rolleyes: 

The previous round against Nosecone, was an easy one. The first round against Ransack should have been the tough one. But Steeljaw's right where he deserves to be. Good thing for him he drew the Rocky Mountain Forest arena though...

I think he's used to being outgunned by now. I mean, seriously... WHEELIE outguns him (actually Wheelie has stupid high firepower, but you get the idea).

Yeah, absolutely. I mean, we're not even talking tickling here. Hun-grr probably wouldn't even notice that he's being shot. It's that bad.

Yeah... as powerful as Steeljaw's bite is, I assume that Hun-Grr's is at least equally as strong due to his incredible strength and fondness for chewing up metal. Plus, he's got 2 mouths, so right away things are not looking good for Steeljaw. Even if Hun-Grr stayed in dragon mode, and never used his gun, he's still got a serious advantage.

I find this a respectable assessment.

Now, both because it seems to be expected of me, and as a send-off for the little lion, here's my stat-by-stat assessment of how this fight matches up...

Strength... although the divide between these stats seems small, it has been pointed out that Hun-Grr has been given 9.5 and 10 Strength in other sources, so it's safe to assume that he sits at the very high end of 9, while Steeljaw sits at the lower end of 8, with his jaw power possibly accounting for a lot of that rating. Add to this the notion that 2 bites are better than one, and Hun-Grr takes it.

Intelligence-wise, Hun-Grr is no fool. However he is a team commander, and likely his intelligence is a reflection of his strategic leadership. Being that both are rated 8, I give Steeljaw a small edge here, simply because in these natural surroundings, as a lone hunter in a one-on-one fight, he's probably more comfortably in his element. That's a purely circumstantial edge... but a tiny one admittedly.

The Speed discrepancy is so small, it's almost a non issue... but if it comes down to pursuit, it must be admitted that Hun-Grr is going to be faster, and given his tremendous physical power, most environmental obstacles due to his larger size will probably get knocked aside without slowing him down much. However, in this situation, Steeljaw's best response would be stealth, rather than a full retreat... at least he hides well. :) 

Firepower... what else is there to say? I suspect Firepower won't come up very much, because Steeljaw will be trying to stay out of Hun-Grr's line of sight as much as possible. Also, I suspect Hun-Grr might prefer to take this one in beast mode just because it gives him a chance to sink his teeth into someone. But if Steeljaw gets caught in the open, he's going to be facing some SERIOUS damage, either from improvised missiles or that crazy ... "stun" rifle.

Yeah right. With Firepower 9, it's going to "stun" him right into the scrapyard. Hun-Grr.

Skill... here's where things get interesting. Even if one docks some of Steeljaw's combat ability due to some of his Skill score reflecting his uncanny hunting and tracking abilities, he's probably still got more finesse than Hun-Grr. Also, considering that his hunting Skill also would factor into his ability to stalk and ambush his prey, I think that 9 Rating is going to help him get some good shots in on Hun-Grr. In the end, I don't think it'll be enough to compensate for Hun-Grr's other advantages, but Steeljaw WILL draw blood here and put up a surprisingly good little fight.

Endurance... again, it looks like they're pretty close, but I think that's deceiving. Steeljaw is tough, but his 9 Endurance is also explained by his tireless perseverance, efficiency and self-sufficiency. If this was a marathon, Steeljaw would win it hands down... but it's not, and Hun-Grr's got that magic 10 Endurance. This basically means he's one of the toughest things around. Steeljaw has a solid 8 Strength, and his teeth and claws... I think he'll still put some hurt on Hun-Grr, but not nearly enough. Hun-Grr's armour is likely such that he could laugh off all but the most solid hits.

Lastly, there's Courage... funny, but I often consider high Courage to be almost a disadvantage. Hun-Grr's 10 Courage suggests to me that he'll go into this match utterly confident and unconcerned... which I think might lead to him underestimating his foe. However, his confidence is also well-earned by his tremendous power. Steeljaw's courage is also pretty high... he won't back down from this battle, and that will be his undoing.

Overall I think the BIG thing here is Endurance. Even with ambush tactics and avoiding missile fire, Steeljaw is just not going to be able to do enough damage to Hun-Grr to make the difference. Eventually Hun-Grr will land a few solid hits and end up tearing him apart. Steeljaw will put up a spirited fight, but the outcome will never be in doubt.

HUN-GRR

zmog

17. Evil Porkchop

Just like your unsubstantiated cassette/Steeljaw bias, I see. :rolleyes: 

I can play that game too.

18. SMOG

No... actually you can't. :) 

My initial comment was more a joke, but I'll bite anyway. See, you can try to downplay Steeljaw's effectiveness because of his small cassette-ness and his low profile, but his Specs and bio don't lie. He's a serious piece of work. He's a very strong contender. That's a substantiated point of view.

However, on the other side, uninformed comments about how a "cassette bot" couldn't possibly be considered a threat to a "team leader" shows the common bias against cassette beasts, small toys, and obscure characters in general.

I agree that Steeljaw is in over his head here... Hun-Grr has it in him to win this tournament handily. But stepping over Ransack and Nosecone is hardly unrealistic for him, especially given the benefits of ample cover and expansive outdoor terrain for a proficient hunter.

zmog

19. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    I always thought it would be cool if while in "Dragon" mode Hun-Grrr's two heads had different personalities. They'd get along great, but still be independent....

In the "Return Of Optimus Prime Part 1" while hunting for the super alloy the Terrorcons are attacked by the Technobots. Hun-Grrr in "dragon" mode calls for the Terrorcons to form Abominus. Just before merging Hun-Grrr's two heads look at each like saying " yessssssssss" as in two people agreeing. Well at least that's what I see. Have a look at it. I think you'll agree :D 

20. SMOG

Cool... but isn't that Doublecross' schtick?

zmog