[RMF-3] Semifinal #1: #2 Razorclaw vs #3 Roadbuster

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 9, 2009.

?

[RMF-3] Semifinal #1: #2 Razorclaw vs #3 Roadbuster

Poll closed Sep 11, 2009.
  1. Razorclaw

52.1%
  2. Roadbuster

47.9%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Rocky Mountain Forest Contests: Semifinal

Semifinal #1: #2 Seed Razorclaw vs #3 Seed Roadbuster

Voting ends at 11:59 pm(CT), September 10th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/bosskdawg/tourny-2.jpg

Tournament History

How they got here:

Razorclaw defeated: Bombshell & Skydive

Roadbuster defeated: Drag Strip & Wildrider

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RAZORCLAW

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    SUB-GROUP: PREDACON
    FUNCTION: PREDACON COMMANDER

"All good things succumb to those who wait."

Profile: Razorclaw is all business - cruel, brutal business. He despises waste in any form. He does not spend a second of his time or burn a drop of his fuel unless he's certain of tangible results. In his case, that typically takes the form of the smoking wreckage of an enemy Autobot. Those who are not familiar with him often mistake his long stretches of inactivity for laziness and disinterest. That can be a fatal mistake. For, upon closer inspection, one would see that his eyes never close, that they are constantly shifting their gleaming steely stare, monitoring all they see. And when Razorclaw observes that the moment is just right, he explodes into furious, ferocious action. These belligerent bursts of energy usually only last a few seconds, but that's usually all it takes for Razorclaw to demolish an opponent. Afterwards, he returns to his resting state - keeping his own counsel, watching all around him... and waiting for the next right moment to strike!

Abilities: Razorclaw has enormous strength. In lion mode, he can leap distances as long as a football field. His claws can rip through foot-thick steel with one swipe and allow him to climb up the sides of buildings by digging into their walls. He can run at 90 mph. In both lion and robot modes, he has twin concussion blasters that shoot capsules that explode on contact and release a volatile gas. In robot mode, he wields a sonic sword. It emits powerful vibrations that shatter the crystalline molecular structures of metals on contact, enhancing the sword's cutting power tenfold. He combines with his fellow Predacons to form the giant robot Predaking.

Weaknesses: Razorclaw is sometimes partially immobilized by his joints locking in place following his often long periods of inactivity.

ROADBUSTER

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: GROUND ASSAULT COMMANDER

"War is a dirty business... and I'm as dirty as they come."

Profile: Likes to pass the time "demolishing Decepticons". Not happy if not fighting... bores easily, quietest of Autobots when not in battle. Charismatic in combat... inspiring to fellow warriors. Natural leader. Can traverse most terrains as 4-WD, 600 mile range. Carries turret-mounted linear blaster gun... can blow a hole in 2-foot thick concrete. As a robot has laser rifle and shrapnel-missile launcher.

Abilities: Subject has above-average intelligence, and great physical strength and endurance. He's an excellent soldier and field commander. In his vehicle mode, he can traverse the roughest terrain at speeds up to 65mph, with a range of 600 miles. He's armed with a powerful laser-targeted cannon in this mode as well as a series of explosive and smoke canisters (all useable in robot mode). As a robot, he has a shoulder-mounted shrapnel rocket launcher that is self-targeting and has a 360 attack range. He's also armed with a rapid-fire automatic rifle that fires armor piercing shells.

Weaknesses: Subject is physically very powerful, but he is prone to wearing down his weapons through overuse. His desire for combat sometimes causes him to jump into a battle before thinking through the consequences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech Spec Breakdown

Strength:
    Razorclaw:8 Roadbuster:8
    Intelligence:
    Razorclaw:9 Roadbuster:7
    Speed:
    Razorclaw:4 Roadbuster:5
    Firepower:
    Razorclaw:7 Roadbuster:6
    Skill:
    Razorclaw:7 Roadbuster:7
    Endurance:
    Razorclaw:9 Roadbuster:9
    Courage:
    Razorclaw:10 Roadbuster:10
    Razorclaw:8 Roadbuster:8

2. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Ladies & Gentlemen I give you the most even Tech Spec battle in Contest History!!!

I mean seriously its almost ridiculous. I have a feeling the fandom like Roadbuster better but I am going to have to hear a pretty convincing argument to make me believe Razorclaw could actually lose this one in this environment!

3. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to go with Razorclaw.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I say Razorclaw would beat the trigger-happy robot with great tactics and speed as well as that sonic sword which might disable RB.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still feel Roadbusters firepower stat is way too low.

Excited to see how this one ends!

6. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

razorclaw hands down

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    this one is too close to call despite what others have said ill need to hear alot of arguements and debate before i vote ill give the enviroment nod to razorclaw slightly as Roadbuster isn't gonna be a slouch in this enviroment either

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Wow, they just get closer and closer.

The stats are incredibly close. Five stats are absolutely equal. The environment is great for both of them. They're both fearsome, professional, and powerful.

This one will be brutal, terrifying, and horrifically violent. Nobody's walking away from this one. Limping, maybe. Sitting and waiting for an evac is more likely.

So it pains me to say, I have to vote against Roadbuster, who is great (and who again, really needs a higher firepower stat, considering his role and portrayal).

Razorclaw has a few, small advantages that will give him this fight. His firepower is a slight one, and he's not hesitant to use it. His beast-mode will have an easier time moving through the woods and he can both shoot and attack with his claws and teeth in it as opposed to Roadbuster just having guns.

He's also got the only 2 point stat advantage in this fight, and intelligence will definitely help him here, especially against someone who is such a close match otherwise.

You fought the good fight, Roadbuster, but your road ends here, at the feet of the Predacon commander. It's mostly an issue that I cannot see a way for Roadbuster to win.

But the kitty will likely end up with half his mane torn off and some shattered or fused joints.

- Coeloptera

9. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Yeah me too. To all the "Razorclaw wins hands down" guys... Mind elaborating on how he'd win so easily?

10. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow. Two of my all-time favorite Transformers in one bout. I always read these contests and usually vote, but rarely have I actually been excited about a match-up as this one.

I doubt there'd be a 'hands-down winner' here at all, instead it'd be a contest of will and cunning. Both combatants are excellent at what they do, and the arena is perfect for them both, but the advantages given by the stats do tip the scales in the Lion's favor. Even though stats are misleading, they have to be taken into consideration. Even if Roadbuster's firepower was upped a bit, Razorclaw's weaponry still seems to be of a higher caliber (no pun intended).

I can envision many truly cinematic attacks here.
    Razorclaw using terrain and Roadbuster's tenacity to lure the Autobot into a trap by running through the forest as RB tries to keep up, only to lead him into a gully or rocky ridge.
    Or Roadbuster, not being able to get a bead on his adversary, figures that destroying the terrain where Razorclaw is stalking behind will flush out the Decepticon.
    Finally, I believe the fight would end in hand-to-hand combat, with Razorclaw's sword ending the contest.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    at this point im still undecided but i will agree who ever wins there team's medic/mechanic is gonna have a job putting them back together

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Close match, but I think I'll go with Razorclaw as he's got more firepower and intelligence than Roadbuster.

13. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Okay, so I thought about this one while driving and running some errands today and here is what I think it would happen. Roadbuster wins and this is why. Below is my scenario:

Round 1:

Razorclaw waits in ambush as Roadbuster makes his patrol of the Rocky Mountain region. Roadbuster spots Razorclaw for a breif instant before Razorclaw pounces, however, Razorclaw's pounce is delayed due to his weakness of his joints locking into place after being immobile for too long. Roadbuster, in vehicle form, immediately fires his laser targeted cannon and deals a solid blow to Razorclaw.

Decision: Roadbuster - Roadbuster wins the initiative.

Round 2:

Razorclaw becomes mobile and jumps out to attack Roadbuster with his mighty leap. Roadbuster transforms to robot mode and prepares for the attack. Razorclaw makes contact with the bounce and the two wrestle to the ground. They are both evenly matched in strength however, and Roadbuster is quickly aware that Razorclaw's claws are his deadliest weapon. While wrestling on the ground, Roadbuster uses his smoke canisters to create visual concealment and get away from Razorclaw.

Decision: Draw - Neither Razorclaw or Roadbuster deal damage, both separate and face off.

Round 3:

Razorclaw brandishes his Sonic Sword and Roadbuster draws his armor-piercing rifle. Razorclaw charges and Roadbuster immediately fires an explosive canister to halt Razorclaw's charge. Roadbuster uses his slightly superior speed to put distance between them.

Decision: Roadbuster - Roadbuster halts a charge from Razorclaw and deals more damage.

Round 4:

Razorclaw fires his twin concussion capsule launchers at Roadbuster. Roadbuster is forced to evade the volatile gas and loses his superior positioning. Razorclaw attacks from the flank. Roadbuster's self-targeting, 360 degree, shoulder mounted shrapnel rocket launcher strikes Razorclaw and halts his charge.

Decision: Roadbuster - Roadbuster evades the gas canisters and continues to deal damage with superior range and targeting.

Round 5:

Roadbuster regains his superior positioning and opens fire with his armor piercing rifle at the halted Razorclaw. Razorclaw recieves damage.

Decision Roadbuster - Roadbuster takes advantage and deals more damage with ranged fire.

Round 6:

Roadbuster fires his armor piercing rifle again, but it jams because he's been using it so much lately. Razorclaw takes the advantage and charges Roadbuster. Roadbuster begins tactically withdrawing to keep distance between the two, Roadbuster is faster on foot and keeps his distance. Roadbuster opens fire again with his laser targeted cannon and deals the final blow to Razorclaw

Decision: Roadbuster - Uses multitude of weapon systems to finish off Razorclaw.

Here's the bottom line: Two points of intelligence aren't the deciding factor in a battle like this. They aren't shooting mind-bullets at each other. Roadbuster's speed is what allows him to keep his distance. Razorclaw fires volatile gas capsules (which may not even be harmful to other Transformers) and then must rely on a sword for melee combat. Roadbuster has many weapons to rely on: explosive and smoke canisters, laser targeted cannon, armor piercing rifle, shrapnel rocket launcher. Most of all for Roadbuster, these weapons do not require all of his hands to operate and many are automated in firing and targeting.

This fight is a lot like Conan the Barbarian (Arnold) vs. The Commando (Arnold) and when stats like this are so evenly matched, history has taught us that superior ranged power is always superior to melee power.

Razorclaw and Roadbuster both have the same endurance (ability to take hits) and the same skill (combat guile) and strength (in this case, grappling/wrestling strength) Stats like Rank and Intelligence are not combat stats.

I also don't think that the environment plays a big role here. There will be mountainous, forest terrain. Lions hunt in the African Savannah, not heavily wooded forests. With both of these guys being decently sized robots, I seriously doubt that either would or could fight in trees, so this will be in a clearing. Also, if they did fight in the forest, Roadbuster's shrapnel rocket launcher would devastate trees causing an environmental obstacle and possibly a damaging force against Razorclaw, where as Razorclaw is again just swing his sword and hoping his bulk doesn't kepe him from getting the arcs he needs to get full swings.

Ultimately, this is my reasoning for Roadbuster's victory.

14. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    I would go with Razorclaw here, based solely on the Marvel comic where the Predacons took half of Megatron's face off. Granted, they still lost the fight, but the sight of Megatron getting his armor shredded made an impression on me. If their claws could do that (and granted, there are other continuities), I think that's an x-factor that could mean the difference in an otherwise very close fight.

15. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Asiatic Lions hunt in forests so that argument wouldn't apply.

That said, this match is so ridiculously close that I just can't vote. I was leaning toward Razorclaw but you just made such a reasonable scenario where Roadbuster could win that now I really don't know which one to vote for.

If you're going to use that argument you should keep in mind that in the Marvel Comics Roadbuster blasted off half of Galvatron's face (albeit with an experimental weapon that killed Roadbuster himself soon afterward).

16. Yaujta

News Credits:
    You put Razorclaw at a disadvantage from the start. I highly doubt he'd just be sitting there waiting for Roadbuster to happen by and allow his joints to lock up. After all, why would a hunter like Razorclaw offer up an advantage to Roadbuster over a known weakness?

This situation is where the inteligence factor comes into play. Two points of difference is a big gap when it comes to all the other stats being so close. Those two points could be accounted for by experience, which in this case would be a huge advantage.

17. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Tacitron, the fight you're talking about consisted of the Predicon(s) plural, Razorclaw alone didn't make that fight, so that's a poor example.

Yautja, I used both of the Transformers' weaknesses. Razorclaw's weakness can only be used at the onset. Roadbuster's weakness can only be used after using his weapons. These weaknesses are part of the reason why Roadbuster has an advantage.

Dictionary.com says:

Intelligence: capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

Skill: competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity

Intelligence in these combat scenarios is worth about as much as Rank. These fights are lasting minutes if not seconds. There's no time for higher learning. This is combat, their skill in combat is what's important.

Also, you can't just vote based on stats. You have to read the profiles. Razorclaw, while intelligent and tough, IS a lion. He fights and hunts like a lion. He thinks like a lion. Roadbuster is a SpecOps soldier, he thinks and fights like a SpecOps soldier.

18. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Razorclaw, just, on penalties, after extra-time.

19. Yaujta

News Credits:
    I made bold the parts of the definition of intelligence that would matter in a combat situation between nearly matched opponents.

As for skill, they're tied here, and nothing in the fiction says either has the distinct advantage except that Razorclaw is the leader of the most feared group in the Decepticon's ranks.

I don't vote primarily on stats, but they have to be a factor in the vote.

As for being a lion, he's a lion in form and has some characteristics in alt mode that a lion has. Otherwise he's a killer that means business- cruel, brutal business (<-from the profiles).
    Honestly, it's tough for me to decide since both characters are so good, but I believe it'd come down to a slugfest. If that would be the case, lion beats soldier.

20. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Yautja, you might have missed my overall point.

Lion > Soldier

Lion < Solider with several guns and explosives.

Exceptional Ranged firepower here is the key to victory.

Some stats are not viable in these combat scenarios, Rank is one of them. Intelligence, in my opinion is the other. A high intelligence still will not account for Firepower or Skill. The least intelligent barbarian can still win with some brute force, in this fight especially, intelligence is not a deciding factor.