RM Star Sabre and Victory Leo: tell me about them

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Just curious to know what people think of the RM Star Sabre and Victory Leo figures. I looked at them at Botcon but wasn't impressed. But then again, I haven't had the toys in hand. I had written off RM Lio Convoy but when I actually got him I was really surprised. So, RM Star Sabre and Victory Lio. Good? Bad? Ugly? Tell me why I should or shoult not buy this figure. Thanks!

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Think he's awesome just for the miniaturized classic figure alone. He transforms just like the real thing. Only flaw I can think of is they have that RM quality to them. It's not bad, but it could be better.

Dude your sig makes me roll everytime :lol 

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i look at this way, it's a heck of lot cheaper then the originals, meaning you can actually play with it with out fear of breaking it.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    not extremely posable, but they're a ton of fun to tinker around with. they're my favorite RM figures.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah it's a nice set for the money. From what I understand, its just like the full sized version only much smaller (I only have the RM version).

Actually if I remember right the RM version is a bit more posable and has better arm/shoulder articulation... but not by much.

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet, I'm really thinking of picking these up now (and kind of kicking myself that I didn't get them while I was at Botcon). I like the "it's-just-like-the-original-but-smaller" idea. I have RM Lio Convoy and he's awsome. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is the blockyness that came with the mega SCF figures.

But yeah, from what you guys are saying I'll be picking up a set of these guys. I saw SW.CA's real-deal Saber and Leo in Toronto and they're just beautiful... but waaaaay too expensive for me (says the name who blows $500 four months of valks... ^_^;; ) But yeah, it looks like the RM versions are a good way to go. Thanks!

Anyone have any good pix of these guys?

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Terrible figures and responsible for turning me off of the entire Robotmasters line.

- Plastic quality is horrible. I have a knock-off Defensor set that has sturdier plastic than these.
    - Sword handle is prone to breaking when putting it in/taking it out of Star Saber's hands (didn't happen to mine, but read a few stories about it). Blade of the sword also doesn't attach to the handle very securely.
    - Poor articulation, especially on Star Saber. The hip armor blocks SS leg articulation from a number of angles and the arms don't have a great range either (no wrist swivels and limited side-side shoulder movement). Victory Leo's hip joints are loose and the legs don't "lock" during transformation, allowing them to telescope back in when manipulating the toy.
    - Victory Leo is designed to separate into two pieces for the combination...but those two pieces don't stay together well in Victory Leo's individual beast and robot modes (it's more of a problem in beast mode). The rear end of Victory Leo's beast mode is also prone to splitting.
    - Combined form isn't very stable, with the backpack dislodging easily.
    - I don't like the look of the combined form, particularly the legs, but's that more subjective.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That only happens when you stick the handle all the way into his hand. the entire handle isnt supposed to go in the hand. just the bottom part.

Never hand the Leo leg problem. Yes, articulation is limited, but the entire RM line is done pretty cheaply. these two are very well done when you look at the other original molds in the line.

Again, never had the leo problem above.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Add me to this list. I have all three versions and find them to be the weakest additions to the RM line. Save your pennies for the real thing.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    eh, theyre okay, but nothing to write home about.

dont put your hopes up to high.

the semi-brainmaster gimmick is cool tho.

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The sword on the RM version is rather a tight fit, meaning it's prone to breakage when attempting to remove it. The full sized Victroy Saber is rather robust.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Have a few pics, but they're old stinkers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you want to play with the molds, go for it. If you want a display piece of Victory Saber, go with the Mega SCFs. The RMs are decent, but not great.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go for the RMs if you can get 'em on discount. They're neat, but not worth the original price they went for IMO.

I got both giftsets (normal and ebil ehobby version) at botcon '05 for like...$30 each, I think (might've been cheaper, I honestly can't remember anymore). Very much felt like I overpaid, but eh. They go with my other Robotmasters alright.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the reason they dont feel like theyre worth it is largely due to limited articulation. think rm starscream.

16. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Do you collect the World's Smallest Transformers? Because this IS WST Victory Saber. The little jet, Saber, is in perfect scale.

17. naladahc

naladahc Plastic Crack Addict

I've got a soft spot for these guys because they were basically the first Victory-era character figures I could afford.

Yeah, their plastic is a bit "cheap" feeling but surprisingly, out of the 5 figures I always have out on my desk RM Star Saber, RM Victory Leo, and their Mega SFC versions are 4 of 'em (with Car Robots Build Boy being the 5th).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was shocked I left Botcon with an actual real Star Saber too.

Hopefully I can find a Victor Leo soon. I should have bought the one the guy had in room to room trading. It was perfect in a practically perfect box.

18. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Being a huge Victory Saber fan, and owning the original figures too, I can't help but to keep comparing the two figures together. Needless to say, this is a comparison that isn't to the RM's advantage.

As many have said, the plastic quality is utterly terrible. The handle snaps like a twig, and the pearl plastic on Starsaber in the giftset version looks tacky. Victory Leo is not too stable, and many sacrifices like Leo's bad face sculpt, Star Saber's dodgy alt mode etc, really hurt the figure.

I like my vintage Victory Saber infinitely more as he looks better and is hella durable......but he also does cost like, 10 times more. If you must get them, get them seperately. The white plastic looks tons better than the pearl IMO.

19. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Quick comparison pic:

[​IMG]

I like the RM version, mainly because it has better articulation and Star Saber has better proportions in robot-mode. However that makes the legs of Victory Saber mode too long imho.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    They aren't bad, but not a patch on the full sized originals. That's my impression of them.